• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: OT: is this some other melody or am I brain farting?

Share/Bookmark

OT: is this some other melody or am I brain farting?

I was fooling around with a cue idea, but the main piano melody seems like I may have heard it before. I cant place it, was just wondering if anyone has heard it or hears what I'm hearing

http://www.brokenbydefault.net/orch/ashpianothingy.mp3

and no I'm not really keeping that ending, I've got another few movements I hear that I want to flesh out tonally.
    Operation Mindcrime 2, in stores now.
    or go here...
    The Digital Bitphonic Orchestra
    -Ashif "Ash" Hakik

Re: OT: is this some other melody or am I brain farting?

Nope... can't say I have heard it. So so far so good

Passed my test King, it doesnt remind me of anything.

I think that its just a familiar scale and chord changes here and there.
    ---------------------------
    - SCA - Sound Studios -
    www.sca-soundstudios.com
    ---------------------------

Sounds clean to me. Nice sounding cue, by the way.

- Mike Greene

Yea...the Cm7 piano roll sounds like Back Stabbers by The Ojays just before the band hits....just kiddin'

OK

thanks for the listens all

I think you're right Scott. Its familiar but I cant place it. I was talking to Tob earlier, and sometimes familiar is a good thing.

I've obviously commited to it a bit, but it was nagging at me as I listened to it more.

linwood

A-HA I KNEW IT!! time to dump it!!

Speaking of the piano rolls, is this the right technique here?. I mean I'm not a piano player AT ALL, so I wonde if I should be letting off the pedal more often, or that is considered bad technique, or .. I dunno...
    Operation Mindcrime 2, in stores now.
    or go here...
    The Digital Bitphonic Orchestra
    -Ashif "Ash" Hakik

Sounds like you're rollin' just fine to me. Don't dump it! I was just teasein'. When I heard that cm7 come around, it just took me there. I was hearing, "They're smilin' in your face",... I think it's even in that key. Once you play those tunes for a while, there always with ya.

I don't hear anything derivative- just maybe the next theme song for Twin Peaks if they ever revive that series!

Carl

Red face Re: OT: is this some other melody or am I brain farting?

Sometimes I think, when something sounds familiar, it is because it is the logical conclusion of what ever motifs have been kicking around in your head for a while. Familiar IS good becuase sometimes that is the IT that makes the HIT . But Yea, it's nice to check to be safe.
    I know this feeling. It can drive me nuts sometimes (well...more nuts than usual) .

"So what if some parts of life are a crap shoot? Get out there and shoot the crap." -- Neil Peart
    Hint:1.6180339887498948482 Φ

I don't hear the melody as something from another song, but the interaction of the melody and that first chord reminds me of a bunch of things in vague ways...

If the melody was more staccato against that first chord (and you had a Motown beat going), it would fit in with a bunch of Bacharach stuff. It also reminds me of the structure of that one section of "Downtown" by Petula Clark....the notes don't follow, but it reminds me of the structure. The melody against that chord also reminds me of "In This Cold World" by Sammy Davis Jr. Why? I dunno. I haven't heard that song in decades, but it immediately came to mind when I heard that melody on that chord.

So it reminds me of lots of things, yet sounds like nothing.

Which string library are you using on this?

Go Back to forum