• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: GPO/Sibelius 4 demo posted

Share/Bookmark

GPO/Sibelius 4 demo posted

This is a kind of "Miniature Symphony" [very miniature at that - it only lasts about just under 3 minutes!], I've just recently finished using the new Sib4/GPO program.
    Here is the link to my SibeliusMusic site web page mp3 file.

http://www.sibeliusmusic.com/mp3/8/0/7/80704.mp3

Hope you enjoy listening to it.

I created the audio file in Sibelius4/GPO by exporting the orchestra in sections as an audio file, then I added the Cakewalk Sonitus Reverb to it in my Home Studio 2004. So, what you are hearing is the audio file from Sib4/GPO with reverb added to it.

Obviously classical/modern influenced in the the harmonies are very tonal, but the meter is in 5/4 which gives it a bit of that modern feel I suppose.

Re: GPO/Sibelius 4 demo posted

This sounds wonderful!!!

I really enjoyed the composition and the sound quality is remarkable. I am seriously considering upgrading to GPO/Sib4 (I have Sib 3 right now).

Would you reccommend it?

Also, what are your system specs?

I have an iMac 1.8Ghz with 1024 MB RAM. Do you think I would be able to play a composition of your magnitude on my system?

Back to the composition, I thought it was a beautiful blend of modern music with a traditional root, that's something for me to aspire towards.

Excellent work! And great sound on it.

But Steve, it seems like you dove straight into a development section, here.

The writing is top-flight, impressively well done. Could I suggest perhaps you consider working further with this... it'd be a danged shame if you didn't bring this along more -- it's a goldmine just hollering at you to be refined and fleshed out to its full potential!

This one gets a...

Bravo!

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    -

That was a fun little romp. Great orchestration, I love woodwinds.

The reverb sounded quite nice. Sib4 seems to do a very good job; pretty impressive for notation. The one distraction, not a composition thing, is the machine-gun effect on repeated notes. I hope GPOA solves that. Have you tried those Var1 and Var2 settings yet? Even a little (10-20), helps.

YBaCuO

listen to my latest electronic ambient sagas:
    The Abyss http://www.wusik.com/song.php?id=1078
    Hope is Never Extinguished http://www.wusik.com/song.php?id=1092

First, thank you to all for your helpful observations and comments.

Vissequ, you asked about My computer specifications - they are 1 and a half gigs of ram. I have a pentium 4 processor, and the rest of the details I'm not too sure of as a friend of mine who builds computers built this for me.

I think on the Sibelius website there is something about the computer reccomendations for the set up, and I just copied and pasted this here for you from the site...

and the link to it if you want to check out more info is:

http://www.sibelius.com/products/gpo_sibelius/

I hope this info is helpful, and here it is...

System requirements

Requires 2GB hard disk space (in addition to Sibelius 4); Windows XP (or some Windows 2000 configurations); Mac OS 10.3.9 or later; DVD drive; Sibelius 4. Additionally:
    Scores that use up to about 8 different sounds:

* Windows: 1.8Ghz processor or faster, 1Gb+ RAM (1.5Gb+ recommended), preferably ASIO compatible sound card
    * Mac: G4/G5, 1GB+ RAM (1.5GB+ recommended)

Scores that use up to about 20 different sounds:

* Windows: 2.5GHz processor or faster, 1.5Gb RAM. ASIO-compatible sound card strongly recommended (not sound chip on motherboard), preferably separate graphics card
    * Mac: 1.8GHz processor or faster, 1.5GB+ RAM

Scores that use reverb or more than 20 different sounds will need a faster processor and more RAM.

Oh yes, Et lux, you made an observation about the development - yes, I did plunge a little too quickly into the development. But, now that you've made helpful observation there, maybe I will take it further and see what I can do with this.
    The orchestration was piccolo, flute, oboe, clarinet, bassoon, 3 french horns, timp, and strings, and it could do with a bit of a bigger orchestral sound maybe also.
    It seems you've all enjoyed listening to the demo, so thats great. Thanks to all of you for your comments, they are all very helpful.

Re: Var1, Var2

Read the Manual! (because I can't remember well ...)

If you have the updates installed, then you have to read the update notes.

For the updates:
    you want to draw in CC curves CC#22 and CC#23. Ideally, you only want to draw them in during those repeat-type passages. But I often get lazy and just put one value at the beginning of the track (try it). I am guessing that CC#22 is the pitch var, it should be small try 0-10 (okay 5). Then the CC#23 is the timbre/filter Var and it can be slightly larger 0-40 (okay 25). (But I could have it backwards).

Do you know what CCs are? Use Cakewalk for that. Just add a controller event at the beginning of the track (or draw it in if you have a tool). The effect is very small, I imagine that it helps but who knows. Your ears will guide you.

Quote Originally Posted by YBaCuO
    Re: Var1, Var2

Read the Manual! (because I can't remember well ...)

If you have the updates installed, then you have to read the update notes.

For the updates:
    you want to draw in CC curves CC#22 and CC#23. Ideally, you only want to draw them in during those repeat-type passages. But I often get lazy and just put one value at the beginning of the track (try it). I am guessing that CC#22 is the pitch var, it should be small try 0-10 (okay 5). Then the CC#23 is the timbre/filter Var and it can be slightly larger 0-40 (okay 25). (But I could have it backwards).

Do you know what CCs are? Use Cakewalk for that. Just add a controller event at the beginning of the track (or draw it in if you have a tool). The effect is very small, I imagine that it helps but who knows. Your ears will guide you.
    YBaCuO,

thanks. I found this in the manual, and I will definitely look carefully at the information you gave.

thanks again!

Steve.

I would echo the above sentiments, but particularly the "great job" aspect. It's a very strong piece. It's neat how well integration with Sibelius works; the realization is already on the raod with very little tweaking. I would just add a note regarding the strings: the previous posts have some good ideas for more string realisism - have you looked into the idea of ensemble building? There are some good tutorials on the subject on Garritan site, but the idea is this: rather than just using the string section, you can build it out of seperate, individual instruments. Might be worth a look.
    Again, very well done. Thank you for sharing it with us!

R. Pearl

Oooooh, that demo not only is a great composition, but it also makes me crave for the Sibelius 4 Upgrade+ the GPO Player.... Unfotunately it will be another month or 2 before that happens...
    Greetings from Vienna!
    Peter
    My website: Above the staff.net

Steve:

A great demo, a great piece. Agree with all of the above and especially about making this piece a real symphonic movement (12-15 minutes).

Also, impressed with Sibelius 4 and it's ability to do sample playback along with its fine notational features.

Bravo!

Jack Cannon
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast