• Register
  • Help

Topic: Snorlax Tackles Mendelssohn!!

Share/Bookmark

Snorlax Tackles Mendelssohn!!

No,NOT on the euphonium .

Here are the first 50 or so bars of the Mendelssohn Violin Concerto, one of my all-time favorites. Only about 470 or so more to go.

Just so you know, I use only GPO and Overture 4. I used the Ambience reverb set to Concert hall 2. No sequencers, EQs, mastering, etc.
    Just real bare bones stuff. I did whatever controller work I did right in Overture, either via expressions or by using the on-score MIDI editor.

Expressive suggestions welcome.

Here's the file: SNORLAX TACKLES MENDELSSOHN

Thanx for listening...Jim
    Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    N9EJR
    Indianapolis Brass Choir
    All Your Bass Sus&Short Are Belong to Us.

Re: Snorlax Tackles Mendelssohn!!

My, aren't we froggy!

Sounds terrific! (May I politely point out the wrong note in the violin before the first solo though, :31.) The orchestra sounds wonderful. You need the Strad though- I'd love to hear it doing this.

Hmmm, well, now that the Strad is out, solo violin parts that are not the Strad just cannot compare. Nice effort, though. Some expression here.

By the way, you can compare to an old version:
    Excerpt,
    http://www.wusik.com/song.php?id=366

using the methods described here:
    http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...=algorithmi c

Or explore http://ybacuo.wusik.com/ for similar things

YBaCuO

listen to my latest electronic ambient sagas:
    The Abyss http://www.wusik.com/song.php?id=1078
    Hope is Never Extinguished http://www.wusik.com/song.php?id=1092

Well, Snorlax, I can't fault your taste, but you surely picked one bloody devil of a piece to tackle!

You're off to a darned fine start on this, nonetheless.

And though I'm surprised at how much you rung out of the GPO on this, by gosh, this would definitely be a high-profile candidate for the Strad.

Go for it, my friend -- can't wait to hear how this comes out, Jim.

My applause for sheer guts... lol!

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    -

Bravo Jim. I've taken on some ambitious projects but Mendelssohn's Violin Concerto....Wow! It's off to a great start. The main thing I would look at is the reverb. The orchestra sounds distant and I think you have a little too much hang time. I am clueless about Ambience so what I do is fiddle with the controls while Ove4 is playing. Now that Strad is out, the GPO solos will never be the same but keep pluggin.

Bill
    Never look at the trombones. It only encourages them. Richard Strauss

My Website
    Beethoven's Eroica
    Antonio Salieri
    The History of Studebaker

Thanx for all the comments, friends!

As to the wrong note , 'twas a case of "floating leger lines" having nothing whatsoever to do with the pint of Guinness I had enjoyed earlier in the evening. Thanx for the notice--I would have seen it eventually, but better sooner than later.

As to the piece itself, if I'm gonna do something, I might as well do something! So it was either this or the March from Hindemith's Symphonic Metamorphoses. I decided on Mendelssohn, but will tackle Hindemith later .

Thanx for the hints--I have dumped Ambience Reverb in favor of either SIR or Kjaerhus Classic reverb. Let's see how that works. I see for sure that those other two reverbs don't suck up nearly the CPU cycles that Ambience did.

It's funny--my biggest complaint when I go out as a soloist is that bands behind me play too loud. So here I turned the band down but turned it up again a bit and changed the panning of the section violins from near-center to far-left, and the lower strings to further right. I moved the solo to slightly right to get it further away from the section violins.

I still am "mixing" (Iwouldn't call it that) into cheap speakers with little or no outboard processing, but at least people could hear that I got expressivity out of GPO--I'll fix some interpretive matters later on, but most of the public & private comments were on reverb, etc. Due to the length of this movement (527 measures with not too TERRIBLY much repetition), I'll be continuing as time permits.

Suffice it to say that the further I get into this stuff, the more I appreciate other people's ears, (especially DPDan's)

Again, thanks to everyone; stay tuned for further developments.

Jim
    Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    N9EJR
    Indianapolis Brass Choir

Holy cow Jim no sequencer? Whew!

It is a real pleasure to hear this from you.
    Your kind words make me more humble.
    Thanks Jim I look forward to hearing this finished.
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by DPDAN
    Holy cow Jim no sequencer? Whew!

It is a real pleasure to hear this from you.
    Your kind words make me more humble.
    Thanks Jim I look forward to hearing this finished.
    Dan
    No sequencer, $8 "monitor speakers," rudimentary FX, but AM I HAVING FUN AND LEARNING AS I GO!! All with GPO and Overture 4.

I'll repost when I have more done,and will seek your advice!

Jim
    Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    N9EJR
    Indianapolis Brass Choir

GOOD FOR YOU JIM!!!!

Dan

Go Back to forum