• Register
  • Help

Topic: Midi Channel Button: FX

Share/Bookmark

Midi Channel Button: FX

Hi,

When I click on FX (I assume MIDI FX, but I could be wrong), I get no drop-down menu. I'm guessing this means there is a way to embed effects in instrument/.gig files and I haven't done it.

An intelligent explanation would be great!

Jerry

Re: Midi Channel Button: FX

Hi Jerry,

The FX button will be lit when an instrument with embedded effects is loaded. For instance, load one of Larry Seyer's drum GSI files, and the FX button will be active. If you load a normal gig, the FX button doesn't do anything.

I'm not at my GS3 PC right now, so I can't tell you how to make your own GSI files with embedded effects. Personally, I prefer loading GigaPulse in the DSP section, so I can run various channels through the same effect. Embedded is fine when playing a giant piano with resonance, but not very efficient when building ensembles.

BTW, check out the medium hall ambience. It's my favorite, and many others here like it as well...

-JF

Thanks Jon,

I found that same info in the manual this morning. I listened to quite a few of the convolution effects last night and, well, they sound very good, but not really that much better than a high quality digital reverb, in my opinion. Since the convolution does take a lot of processing power, I think I am going to instead use the CPU power for polyphony and loading as many instruments as I can.

By the way, I've seen Giga crash a number of times last night; sometimes I did something it didn't like, such as try to load convolution twice in the same slot, but other times the crash seemed to come out of nowhere. I had great success running Giga 2.54 for 3 years with not a problem, using lots of instruments, I hope 3.1 is as stable...

Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by JonFairhurst
    Hi Jerry,

The FX button will be lit when an instrument with embedded effects is loaded. For instance, load one of Larry Seyer's drum GSI files, and the FX button will be active. If you load a normal gig, the FX button doesn't do anything.

I'm not at my GS3 PC right now, so I can't tell you how to make your own GSI files with embedded effects. Personally, I prefer loading GigaPulse in the DSP section, so I can run various channels through the same effect. Embedded is fine when playing a giant piano with resonance, but not very efficient when building ensembles.

BTW, check out the medium hall ambience. It's my favorite, and many others here like it as well...

-JF

Funny you mentioned the medium hall. That was the one I picked over all the others as well. I did an A/B comparision (with the convolution medium hall) with my Yamaha PRO R1 hardware reverb and, to be honest, I like the Yamaha better. And it doesn't still bandwidth from my Giga machines!

Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by JonFairhurst
    Hi Jerry,

-JF

Hi Jerry,

GS3 has been very stable for me. Hopefully, it will be the same for you. If you haven't yet, you might try some real-time tweaks on your Giga PC. You know, stuff that keeps the processor from spending time checking the CD drive, surfing the net and doing other non-musical stuff. Tascam has some tweaks on their site. I applied the tweaks from http://videoguys.com/WinXP.html

Regarding GigaPulse, it sounds like the main advantage for you will be for instrument resonance and such, rather than ambience. Being able to bend a note without bending the resonance of the instrument body could be pretty cool.

-JF

Go Back to forum