• Register
  • Help

Topic: EWQLSO XP: This is an expansion?

EWQLSO XP: This is an expansion?

Just got my installer for the EWQLSO XP.
    I was excited to get this up and running.
    Ran into a few glitches...
    Maybe some of you can add your two cents, or better yet, give me some hints on a fix.

1. After following the install procedure exactly (really the Silver installer is a no brainer), I was having trouble with only some of the sound sets not being able to find certain wavs. Using auto-find worked, but this seemed to me very odd, and an unnecessary step, especially due to the fact that this was happening frequently and that it would have been a long and arduous process to do a manual find for every missing wav to clear up the paths.

2. So what I did was move the XP files to the same folder as my old instruments and multis. Great. No longer have an issue with not locating certain wavs. However, now that I can see the full list of the sounds available to me in both collections I'm a bit pissed to find out that the file types are incompatible. On other words, the old stuff won't open in the new NI player and the new stuff won't open in the old NI player. Now how is this proper implementation of an expansion pack? Now I have to think about what samples I need and in which collection it came in before I attempt to load it in one player or the other. Frustrating.

Anyone else running into this?
    Is there a workaround?
    Is there anyway I can update my files to have everything work in the new player?

Thanks in advance.

My name is Elmer J. Fudd, I own a mansion and a yacht.

Dual 1ghz G4 (quicksilver), Mac OSX.3.5, 1gb RAM, Logic Pro 6.4.3, Yamaha 01X, Tannoy PBM 6.5's

Re: EWQLSO XP: This is an expansion?

buy Kontact 2

Trere's a guy from Eastwest here, is user name is sbkp.

he just answer someone in the thread call: a couple QLEWSO Gold newbie question, in this very same page.

I don't own pro xp (just regular gold) but your problem is one that I have not heard about.
    You may want to hit their forum to get a better answer.

Martinez, California

Elmer (nice quote, btw ),

The deal with Orchestra XP (in all cases, Silver, Gold, and Platinum) is that they are meant to replace the existing one. They do this in a few ways:

* Keep most of the old instruments intact
    * Keep the remaining old instruments with updated programming (or maybe samples, too, I'm not sure)
    * Add new instruments and articulations

All of these run within the new player. So you are, in fact, running all the old Silver programs within Silver XP. They just may have different names (and are certainly better organized).

I hope that makes sense. I recommend the EW forum or techsupport _at_ eastwestsounds _dot_ com if you have further questions.

I understand that EastWest has their own forums too - you might get more of a response by posting there - but Stefan seems to be keeping a good lid on in this joint, so I guess it's all the same...
    Houston Haynes - Titan Line Music

this was absolutely talked to death on "that other forum" in regards to gold, so it might bear going over there to get the info you seek. your best bet might be to ditch the old player and the old instruments/multis... but NOT the samples themselves.

essentially, it seems the new version takes the existing sample set (which is why it's called an expansion - because you need to have the original samples), then it adds in additional samples. then gives you a new set of instruments/multis with which to access the lot of them.

the new instruments/multis ARE better organized/named etc., so for the most part there's really no reason to mess with the old

Thanks, Guys.
    Question 1:
    What should my library folder look like then?

Right now I've got 4 nks files.

And I have a folder with both versions of the .nki files (Instruments).
    And both versions of the .nkm files (Multis).

Question 2:
    If I trash the instrument and multi definitions from the old install and stick with the new files I'm left with only one multi - the Steinway B 32 layers w/ release samples. The XP package didn't install any other multis but that.
    My name is Elmer J. Fudd, I own a mansion and a yacht.

Dual 1ghz G4 (quicksilver), Mac OSX.3.5, 1gb RAM, Logic Pro 6.4.3, Yamaha 01X, Tannoy PBM 6.5's

Go Back to forum