• Register
  • Help

Topic: Pastoral

Share/Bookmark

Pastoral

Here is the first piece I worked on using the Sibelius/GPO combination. It's a sextet for string quartet, flute and oboe. I'm not sure if the title is quite right, but it's an improvement on some of my other titles, such as "Slow" .
    As always, thank you for taking the time to listen.

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze1l1e9/s...les/sextet.mp3

The best to all in the New Year!

R. Pearl

Re: Pastoral

Wow, some of the flute-oboe-string sections of this are really quite striking writing... very well done... like the contrast of the pizzicato sections.

The one comment I might make is I think the piece would benefit a very great deal by more attention to and use of dynamics. This takes a bit of tinkering in notation, but once you get the hang of it...

On the overall, a lovely Pastoral -- listened through the piece twice, and it wears even better the second time.

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    -

Some beautiful writing here. I love the scottish snap rhythms. I echo David's comments about dynamics. Notation produced Audio files, often lack a more organic dynamic flow. They tend to sound a bit "blocky".....ie 32 bar blocks of mf 32 bar blocks of forte , etc.
    I am sure it is possible to tweak this in Sibelius, but I always lose patience, and export the midi file to a sequencer, and tweak away.
    As ever with your work Ron, I enjoyed the harmonic flow. It is a judicious mixture, of the expected, and the unexpected.
    The title seems perfectly apt.
    regards Joe

I listened to this earlier and am listening again. The writing is enchanting. Your realization of the wind parts is excellent and the pizzicato section is a breath of fresh air. On the subject of dynamics in notation, I find that for every minute spent entering notes, another 5 minutes will be spent on dynamics to get it right.
    Never look at the trombones. It only encourages them. Richard Strauss

My Website
    Beethoven's Eroica
    Antonio Salieri
    The History of Studebaker

Great piece! I enjoyed it very much, thank you .

Also on the topic of dynamics: I used to be a Sibelius user for a very long time (until I discovered the joys of working with Overture4 ), and getting control over CC1 in Sibelius is tricky and time consuming. But there is a plug-in that you can download from Gary's site somewhere. It helps you to create smooth crecendos and decrecendos by placing the relevant CC data in the score. It sounds very nice and is a great improvement in the "block" dynamics that Joe mentions. It's still a bit annoying, because editing those controllers after they have been placed is a nightmare, but it can be done.
    Kind Regards

Louis Dekker
    My Music Site

Pour être grand, il faut avoir été petit.

Thanks guys - I think the consensus is clear: more dynamic variation. I think what happens is that I write in a lot of dynamics, but as any performer will tell you, that is just a skeleton of what gets played. I need to use a lot more cresc/dim (which Sibelius can now handle without a plug-in) - and use them on a nearly bar-by-bar basis. This can make the score look fussy, but then it's not uncommon to have a score for performance, and another version for the sequence/realization. I'll have to tackle the latter. As Val said for every minute on notation, there are five realizing the playback.

Your comments are very appreciated. Thank you for taking the time to listen.

Ron

Nice work!

Allot of great harmonies here.

jeff

Thanks, Jeff!

Ron

Go Back to forum