• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Sackbuts and Kornetts (zink) samples?

Share/Bookmark

Question Sackbuts and Kornetts (zink) samples?

Do anyone know about libraries including the zink and sackbuts samples?

Re: Sackbuts and Kornetts (zink) samples?

Quote Originally Posted by Fabio
    Do anyone know about libraries including the zink and sackbuts samples?
    Sorry Fabio - I don't - but Sackbut is one of my favourite words!

Did you see "The Ladykillers?" When that dumb guy said "I don't know how to play the butt sack," I just about lost it.
    Dan Powers
    www.danielpowers.info

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

Hi Fabio,

You might try http://www.herman-witkam.com/raw/home.html
    from the thread http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ad.php?t=41492
    He might have/know what you're looking for.

I'd also be interested if you find these

Fred

Smile Re: Sackbuts and Kornetts (zink) samples?

Quote Originally Posted by fred Holmes
    Hi Fabio,

You might try http://www.herman-witkam.com/raw/home.html
    from the thread http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ad.php?t=41492
    He might have/know what you're looking for.

I'd also be interested if you find these

Fred
    Thankyou very much, I contacted Herman for info, and I'll let you know.

Red face Re: Sackbuts and Kornetts (zink) samples?

Quote Originally Posted by johnamriding
    I have Early Patches, and I'm trying some demo of Banchetto Mus.

EP: Being designed for "early" technologies, to fit very little memory of old sound cards, it's an excellent library. But compared with actual samples, limits are heavy, even after long programming of Kontakt, because of the few samples for instrument available, single layers, single articulations, low-fi sampling and looping.

Banchetto seems to be a more modern library, still not so complex nor extended, but more actual and flexible. Better sampling, more articulations and layers.

But no sackbuts and no zink! (ANDREAS! PLEAS DO IT, PLEASE please please... )

YES, the only one seems to be Ancient World, an Akai/EMU disk of NorthStar. But I suspect that so much sounds all in a single CD are meaning low-fi old-fashioned sampling, and then I consider the price too high even for a so rare and fine collection!
    Last but not least, a Bass and a Tenor sackbuts are included, but again no cornetts (no zink!).
    Sackbuts may be well imitated starting from the right articulation and EQ of a modern slide trombone. (anyway, as for baroque trumpet, I should prefre a sample of the real one...)

But nothing really recreate the magic treble and alto sound of a renaissance zink playing colorituras over a soprano or alto choral part. I begin to think seriously of contacting some friend and try to produce my first sample library with a Zink consort...but I've not the right mics and recording experience...sob! it seems to remain just a dream...

ANY OTHER SUGGESTIONS?

Quote Originally Posted by Fabio
    I have Early Patches, and I'm trying some demo of Banchetto Mus...

..But nothing really recreate the magic treble and alto sound of a renaissance zink playing colorituras over a soprano or alto choral part. I begin to think seriously of contacting some friend and try to produce my first sample library with a Zink consort...but I've not the right mics and recording experience...sob! it seems to remain just a dream...
    I, too, have the Early Patches & Ancient Akai CDs. Not Banchetto yet, tho'...

Will be very interested if you produce the Zink samples: just one other point: There's also QUITE a lot of commotion that VSL may produce an early music DVD/CD at some stage: whether or not it's true is another thing altogether.

Question Re: Sackbuts and Kornetts (zink) samples?

Quote Originally Posted by johnamriding
    I, too, have the Early Patches & Ancient Akai CDs. Not Banchetto yet, tho'...

Do you have Ancient World, by Northstar?
    May you let me know about sackbuts samples quality? Maybe post some mp3 short sample of the bass and tenor sackbuts sound?

Thanks,

Yes, I just copied the web address from another letter and it came out as AncientAkai... Just converting as we speak: it seems to be adequate but, as you say, there's an awful lot of other instruments as well. The recording date is 1999 so, I guess, pretty ancient (sorry about the pun!).

The bass sackbut is a 12ft German brass instrument with velocity-switched samples. 35 presets, 34 samples 6.90 meg.

The tenor sackbut is a 9ft instrument, ... 35, presets, 35 samples 11.70 meg.

Sorry, don't know how to post some short excerpts of what they sound like: I'm very green about all this technology...

Go Back to forum