• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: The World's Largest Jazz Conference (IAJE Report and Pictures)

Share/Bookmark

The World's Largest Jazz Conference (IAJE Report and Pictures)

I just returned from a few days in jazz heaven.

The International Association of Jazz Educators held its 33rd Annual conference at the Hilton and Sheraton Centers in New York City this past week. The Conference was attended by over 7,500 educators, musicians, industry executives, exhibitors, media and students from 35 countries. Jazz everywhere! Jazz concerts in the many ballrooms and lounges. Dozens of jazz workshops and clinics. And the legends of jazz were there as well.

The Exhibit Hall Grand Opening was Thursday night and the three exhibit halls were packed with wall to wall people. Chuck Israels and Darcy Argue helped at the booth. Having Chuck there was like having a celebrity. Chuck knows everybody in jazz and many came by to meet and to speak with Chuck.

Chuck played bass for Bill Evans for six years and played with many of the jazz greats (he also played bass on JABB). It was very enjoyable having him there along with his wife Margot and his daughter Jessica. Chuck wrote an excellent piece called "Margot's Mood" that we played often at the booth. We'll be posting this demo soon.

Darcy Argue also helped at the booth. Chuck introduced me to Darcy last year. Darcy is just plain brilliant. He is an excellent jazz musician and has a commanding knowledge of Finale. Darcy wrote the GPO Finale tutorial for Finale 2006c. He helped with technical problems and setting up the demos. With Chuck and Darcy helping, I was in good hands for the show.

Gary Lindsay, professor of Jazz at U Miami, who wrote "Jazz Arranging Techniques" (which I highly recommend), stopped by the booth. Gary has been such a great help and supporter. He wrote a chapter in the JABB manual and gave permission to use a piece from his book for a JABB big band demo. It was a real pleasure to get to meet him.

After the exhibits closed I met up with Andy Brick and Ray Lindsey for dinner at the Carnegie Deli. Great to have good New York food again and see a couple of my forum friends.

After dinner I went back to the evening concert and heard a performance by the WDR Big Band from Cologne, Germany. The band was fantastic and performed “Djangology,” a tribute to Django Reinhart featuring gypsy guitarist Bireli Lagrene.

Friday started out with a crowd of people at the exhibits. Many people were very interested in JABB and liked what they saw and heard.

Later in the morning I went to a Finale Clinic: "From Lead Sheet to Big Band". Tom Johnson gave a terrific presentation using JABB with Finale. Tom went through the process of setting up a big band chart one instrument at a time. He had excellent examples and demos (perhaps I can get permission to post them). I was very impressed with Tom's dynamic presentation and it made me want to buy Finale and JABB (wait, I own it!)

I stopped by the Finale booth and saw John Paulson, Julie Sopoci, Ann, Leigh Kallestad and the other fine folks at Finale. Here's a picture of MakeMusic President John Paulson getting ready to wail on the sax.

I attended some of the concert by Dave Berger and the Sultans of Swing. The title of the band is accurate. The band really swings. I mean really swings!

Here is a layout of the Dave Berger and the Sultans of Swing band.

I had an opportunity to talk with Dave Berger. Dave is a Professor of Composition and Arranging for the Jazz Studies Program at Juilliard School of Music. He also served as the conductor and arranger for the Lincoln Center Jazz Orchestra. He is a leading authority on Duke Ellington's music and the Swing era and has written music for many television and Broadway shows. Dave and Chuck worked together for many years.

Re: The World's Largest Jazz Conference (IAJE Report and Pictures)

The Jazz Greats

In the afternoon there was an opportunity to meet some of the great jazz masters.

Clark Terry, Frank Foster, James Moody, Nancy Wilson, Chic Corea, Barry Harris, Buddy DeFranco, Tony Bennett, Jim Hall, Bob Brookmeyer.

I had an opportunity to meet Chick Correa, Tony Bennett, Frank Foster and Freddy Hubbard.

I learned from Tim, Chick Correa's assistant that Mr. Correa recently bought JABB (I also learned that Chic Corea also performed and recorded with sample developer and bassist Miroslav Vituos)

Frank Foster , a friend of Chucks came by the booth. Frank was Count Basie's Tenor Sax Player (and arranged "Everyday I have the Blues")

Darcy, Chuck, myself and Frank Foster

An autograph from Freddie Hubbard

There was a concert by the US Army Jazz Ensemble. An excellent group and enjoyable performance. We later met with Jeff Lopez, the bassist for the Jazz Ambassadors - the jazz band

It was lunchtime and time for New York pizza (mmmm) with Erik and Brian Turner. Erik is dynamix from the forum and Brian does the audio engineering for the Regis and Kelly Show.

Sherisse Rogers was the winner of the 2006 IAJE Gil Evans Composer competition. Established by a grant from the Herb Alpert Foundation, this annual commission identifies and aids an emerging composer and recognized as one of most prestigious in the field of jazz. This competition has helped to launch the careers of such writers as Maria Schneider and Anthony Wilson. A copy of Jazz and Big Band was donated to the winner of that competition and Chuck and I presented her with her copy of JABB. Congratulations Sherisse! I can't wait to hear some of the music Sherisse does with JABB!

A very distinguished gentleman with a fedora came by the booth and listened intently to the demos. It was C. Calloway Brooks, the director of the Cab Calloway Orchestra. This is one cool guy (and a JABB owner).

Later in the afternoon I briefly stopped by some workshops, “Digital Audio Tools for Teaching Jazz" and the Finale "SmartMusic and IAJE-The Essential Jazz Education Partnership" and heard some music by the One O’clock Lab Jazz Band.

Right after the exhibits closed there was a Berklee Alumni Meeting. Many Berklee people attended the show. I saw Julius Williams, Professor of Composition and Felice Pomeranz, Professor of Harp at Berklee (who wrote the harp tutorial posted a short time ago). I'm looking forward to returning to Berklee this spring.

After meeting up with Dave Berger and Chuck at a restaurant later that evening, I went to the National Endowment of the Arts Jazzmaster Awards. There was standing room only for this 40th anniversary event. Jon Faddis and the Jazz Orchestra of New York opened the gala awards ceremony. This 17 piece jazz orchestra was fantastic and gave a performance with unbridled energy and purpose. After the Jon Faddis Orchestra, the 2006 NEA Jazzmaster awards were presented. The National Endowment for the Arts honors a select number of living legends who make exceptional contributions to the advancement of Jazz. This year’s winners were: percussionist/congo player Ray Barretto; pianist-composer Chick Corea; and trumpeter Freddie Hubbard.

Chick Corea accepting the NEA Jazzmasters Award

After the awards the Count Basie Orchestra played. Followed by both the Basie and Faddis bands playing together.

After a good night's sleep, I headed for the nearest Starbucks and rushed to the conference.
    In the morning I heard some of the Bellevue Community College Vocal Ensemble. This group was amazing. They're close to Seattle and my mind kept thinking "maybe sample them!"

Michael Philip Mossman, trumpeter with the Jon Faddis Orchestra (and another friend of Chucks) came by the booth and we chatted.

Chuck and Michael Philip Mossman

Jazzer from our forum also visited:

Darcy and Jazzer

Chuck introduced me to another one of his friends, Reggie Workman. Reggie is a friend of Chuck's who played bass with Coltrane and other jazz greats. He also instructs at the New School for Jazz and Contemporary Music. I also met with Rick Schmunk from USC and spoke about visiting USC in the near future. Rick did a ProTools seminar at the conference. David Brandenburg from the Yale Jazz Ensemble came by and we talked about getting together when I speak at Yale again in the spring.

I spoke with a number of jazz professors from colleges and universities (right, this is a jazz educators conference). It looks like I'll be lecturing at quite a few colleges and universities this coming year. I was surprised with how may colleges and universities either have JABB or plan to use it in their jazz programs.

Don Stickler, a well known publisher in the jazz world, also came by and we had a very good discussion. Chuck and I attended another Finale workshop. Great JABB examples in the presentation. I've been invited to do a presentation next year and am thinking of exciting possiblities to discuss.

I left the show a half hour early to catch a flight and left Chuck with the booth. I'm now packing for the NAMM show. The NAMM show will be a little more overwhelming and much bigger compared to this show. The IAJE is smaller and is focused on Jazz. The IAJE has to be one of the best shows I've attended. Great music, great musicians, and a great deal of interest in JABB (more than I had imagined). Looking forward to next year.

Gary Garritan

Thanks for the great report Gary.
    These are exciting times for JABB aren't they.?
    Why not have a JABB competition, like the GPO one. With the prizewinners having there chart played, by some of those distinguished gentlemen you have been hanging out with.?
    I dont think Tom Hopkins should be allowed to enter, though.
    regards

Cool Re: The World's Largest Jazz Conference (IAJE Report and Pictures)

Like, cool.
    Styxx

Bob Brookmeyer is still alive? He's one of my heroes, I wish I knew.

His big band compositions and arrangements are amazing--he's one of the most original jazz composers out there--I'd recommend anyone check out his stuff. In my old jazz band I played an arrangement of "Skylark," completely reharmonized and re-thought, it was awesome. And we also played "First Love Song" which has always been one of my favorites--I think you can find the score and recording in Ray Wright's book.

chris.

Mr. Brookmeyer is Alive and KICKING!!! Have you checked out the New Art Orchestra recordings particularly "New Works" the one with Scott Robinson playing baritone featured on the brilliant 4 movement CELEBRATION SUITE for Gerry Mulligan. It is a GREAT album. I listened to it dozens of times when it first came out (about 5 years ago).

Also fun to visit Bob's, at times, crusty commentaries etc on his website. http://www.bobbrookmeyer.com/

Later

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by CallMeZoot
    Bob Brookmeyer is still alive? He's one of my heroes, I wish I knew.

His big band compositions and arrangements are amazing--he's one of the most original jazz composers out there--I'd recommend anyone check out his stuff. In my old jazz band I played an arrangement of "Skylark," completely reharmonized and re-thought, it was awesome. And we also played "First Love Song" which has always been one of my favorites--I think you can find the score and recording in Ray Wright's book.

chris.
    Mac Pro 2X2.8 Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xenon, 10Gb 800 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM, OS10.6.4, Finale 2011, Digital Performer 7.1, Altiverb 6, Yamaha S90, Built-in audio, GPO, JABB, Garritan Authorized Steinway (Pro), Reason 3, M-Audio Ozone, Giovani, Symphonic Choirs, Kontakt 2, Vienna Symphonic Library. Website:http://www.paulread.ca

Awesome report, Gary

Wow, BCC was there? Back when I was at Nathan Hale Highschool the vocal jazz ensemble I was in there did several adjunct concerts with the BCC ensemble. They were a whole lot of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by joaz
    I dont think Tom Hopkins should be allowed to enter, though.
    regards
    Not to worry; even if Gary made the egregious mistake of allowing me to participate - I have a strict "never compete with anybody for anything" policy. Whenever anyone asks me to "enter" something I look for the "exit." Sounds like a great idea for the rest of you though!

Tom

Go Back to forum