• Register
  • Help

Topic: RMX Base Install Question Please

Share/Bookmark

RMX Base Install Question Please

The Watchme.mov Windows install steps are clear and I can blindly follow those, but would like to understand why I'm doing what I'm doing.

I typically put all dll's on C/program files, and then the large sample files on another drive (say "F:" for example)

RMX install doesn't appear to be that straightforward. I'm creating a shortcut from large SAGE folder data files that I typically put on Drive F to Drive C? Can somebody explain this structure from the perspective of past limited understanding of always putting DLL executables on C: and then the actual samples on F?

Also, If I have enough space on C for everything, would that be better for RMX rather than creating shortcuts? At first glance, it almost looks like I'm putting the same files in Sage on both C and F. Maybe once I take a closer look, I'll see differently. I dunno....

Thanks,
    Joanne

Re: RMX Base Install Question Please

Quote Originally Posted by Joanne Babunovic
    The Watchme.mov Windows install steps are clear and I can blindly follow those, but would like to understand why I'm doing what I'm doing.

I typically put all dll's on C/program files, and then the large sample files on another drive (say "F:" for example)

RMX install doesn't appear to be that straightforward. I'm creating a shortcut from large SAGE folder data files that I typically put on Drive F to Drive C? Can somebody explain this structure from the perspective of past limited understanding of always putting DLL executables on C: and then the actual samples on F?

Also, If I have enough space on C for everything, would that be better for RMX rather than creating shortcuts? At first glance, it almost looks like I'm putting the same files in Sage on both C and F. Maybe once I take a closer look, I'll see differently. I dunno....

Thanks,
    Joanne
    i'm not part of the developer's staff of RMX but i could try to answer to your questions from my point of view.
    first of all i don't think there's some mandatory rule about putting DLLs on c: and i think it depends on the capabilities of your host software looking other locations for plugins. Install's specs tend to be as straightforward as possible for the final user, so it could be hard to explain how to locate DLLs in alternative folders other than usual plugin folder for each host sequencer.
    putting everything on c: has not some particular advantage except maybe for the time rmx spend during first time starting to locate the real folder from a shortcut and i'm sure we could measure in milliseconds.
    I hope my reply have at least something to do with your questions (like i said in another topic i'm an italian guy so i'm always in doubt if i exactly understand what i read)

Quote Originally Posted by Joanne Babunovic
    Yes, you can do that with RMX. Just install the SAGE folder to your F drive and put a shortcut to it in C:\Program Files\Spectrasonics. For instructions, follow the watchme movie, or refer to the installation manual, or check out the FAQs: http://www.spectrasonics.net/rmxcommunity.

- Glenn

Thanks Zeruyo,

I understood your post completely. Seems there is no benefit from putting all of Sage files on C drive. I'm ok with putting Dll on C drive - this is where I've put all dll's. It's installing the large SAGE data files on both C (via shortcut) AND my sample drive that does not seem right.

Hi Glenn - yes the Watchme.mov explains in detail how to create a shortcut for SAGE files located on external drive. I'm consfused at this requirement that requires I create a shortcut linking the SAGE file on another drive to the C drive though. When I installed atmosphere - all I did was put dll on C drive in my Cubase VST folder, and the larger library files on my SAMPLE drive (drive F in my case). This is also the protocol I followed for all EW libs.

This "shortcut" thing is confusing me. No other lib need this and I just want to make sure I really needing to do all this.

Unfortunately Spectrasonics is not available with Namm except email. I'll be patient I guess and thanks again for your reply.

Joanne

You're doing it right. Using the shortcut is a simple and effective alternative to using the registry, which some plugins employ (If you've ever had to fix a registry problem, you'll know why I prefer to use a shortcut :-)). In any case, with RMX 1.5, if there is no "SAGE" in the Spectrasonics folder, RMX will politely ask you to locate it when you start up.

And, there's no need to wait any longer to contact Spectrasonics, you just did :-).

- Glenn

OK, thanks

Go Back to forum