• Register
  • Help

Topic: Ideal requirments for a music studio computer; # processors, RAM, etc?>???

Share/Bookmark

Ideal requirments for a music studio computer; # processors, RAM, etc?>???

Hi,

I'm new to music tech. I'm a composer and will no longer be scratching out and scribbling and ripping out pages and using tape, etc.

Since I only want to use the computer to write my compositions into a notation software AND to produce excellent demos of the scores using high end, full sounds libraries, what would you recommend:
    -RAM; # of processors and hard-drives; etc?
    -Recommended sounds library [I, so far, really like Opus 1/Vienna Symphonic]?
    -any other software, outside of the notation software, Gigastudio, and the sounds library?

Thumbs up Re: Ideal requirments for a music studio computer; # processors, RAM, etc?>???

Quote Originally Posted by njbiology
    Hi,

I'm new to music tech. I'm a composer and will no longer be scratching out and scribbling and ripping out pages and using tape, etc.

Since I only want to use the computer to write my compositions into a notation software AND to produce excellent demos of the scores using high end, full sounds libraries, what would you recommend:
    -RAM; # of processors and hard-drives; etc?
    -Recommended sounds library [I, so far, really like Opus 1/Vienna Symphonic]?
    -any other software, outside of the notation software, Gigastudio, and the sounds library?
    If you are on PC and want a powerfull system: buy the fastest processor you can (now dual core), as much ram as you can (keeping in mind the 32bit os and applications but preparing for 64 bit) and one SATA hard drive for each task (at least 7200rpm): programs (EIDE - easier to boot from- or so I hear), data (audio), samples, and video if you are scoring to picture. Buy a powerfull but quiet power supply like the silent ones from Antec, a large silent tower, and nearly silent case fans and cpu fan (such as the ones from Zalman). For great quiet gear check out www.quietpc.com.

Sound Libs - it really depends on what you are composing as does the other software.

Hope this helps.

Christiaan

Go Back to forum