• Register
  • Help

Topic: Questions about Stradivari

Share/Bookmark

Questions about Stradivari

I may have missed this altogether, but I was trying to get an idea of what this Stradivari does.

Up/down bow movements -- I watched the video on this, so I do know there are alternative bows. But, why the sustain? Can it be setup to automatically switch? I'm thinking of fast runs in which you don't want sustain (to avoid a machine-gun effect).

I'm also interested in the realism of sliding to other notes (I guess portamento, right?), or legato phrasing. I can hear a little bit of that in the demos, but can someone post up more extreme examples of that possibly? Isn't there always legato if there is portamento turned on? So legato mode can be portamento or not?

Finally, is it possible to control things like the trill rate or vibrato? For instance, I know after-touch can change the vibrato intensity. But is there a "base-line" vibrato that it always starts at? Or is the vibrato completely custom?

Thanks for any help!

Smile Re: Questions about Stradivari

Hi Kurzman, I think you found your program, but to use it, you must wait for the Kontakt player, still planned, but not available yet, and probably not before last months of 2006.

Yes trills and vibrato are totally under control, as in the real violin. You may change vibrato speed and intensity in real time, or programming it.

You may play a trill in real time as on the real violin (one note stay down, and the other go up and down) but it sounds a little mechanic. If you program it in a sequencer, it sounds really better because of excellent legato and portamento effects, modulating notes and creating trill effect starting from notes you play/record/write, without existing trill samples, (in other library using trill samples, real but frozen in speed and sound "as recorded").
    The baroque trill accellerando and rubato are wonderful and flexible in that way.

Re: Questions about Stradivari

Quote Originally Posted by Fabio
    Hi Kurzman, I think you found your program, but to use it, you must wait for the Kontakt player, still planned, but not available yet, and probably not before last months of 2006.
    Fabio, thanks so much for the response. It helps a lot.

I was a bit confused about this quote above though. Were you referring to the bow direction question of mine? Will I need to wait until the Kontakt player before that can be assigned automatically?

I do have Kontakt 2.

But is there anyway to enable automatic bow direction? It still seems strange to have the bow direction be tied to the sustain pedal. What is the reason for that? I'm sure there must be something there I'm not thinking of.

Thanks again!
    Brandon

Brandon,

The sustain pedal allows to simulate the bow change by activating the following sequence:

1) hold the note upon releasing the key
    2) play a bow change, followed by a sustain, upon the next note

Giorgio

From what I understand in reading the SSV manual, there are four up-bows and down-bows sampled for each note, with the auto-alternation and round-robin it makes the machine-gun effect nearly impossible.

Aftertouch allows you to increase vibrato speed, with an offset that is controllable in the Kontakt2 instrument or with a MIDI controller. Vibrato depth is controlled with the modulation wheel - very intuitive and very expressive.

They take you as close as you can get to playing a real violin without having to become a violinist.
    Houston Haynes - Titan Line Music

Quote Originally Posted by Giorgio Tommasini
    Brandon,

The sustain pedal allows to simulate the bow change by activating the following sequence:

1) hold the note upon releasing the key
    2) play a bow change, followed by a sustain, upon the next note

Giorgio
    Giorgio, thanks for the input. When you said "simulate" were you just using that term loosely? Are there actual bow change samples, or just an emulation of it?

If you use the sustain for the bow change, is that the only way to get this? Is there a way to automatically do the switch with every note?

Of course, I may be missing a very important concept! What exactly happens when you press the sustain down? Is it polyphonic? Or monophonic? I keep thinking poly, and that may be my problem. If you hold the sustain down and it is poly, then that is what doesn't make sense. If it switches to the other note, then that makes sense. You can just hold it down to alternate bows, and release it to cut off the note or stop alternate bow samples.

So what happens if you have a sustain pedal down, and then hold a note down to do the portamento?

Sorry for so many questions. Just trying to understand some important things for me before I order it (I would actually have ordered it by now, but I'm waiting to hear back from anyone regarding student discounts on this product).

Quote Originally Posted by Houston Haynes
    From what I understand in reading the SSV manual, there are four up-bows and down-bows sampled for each note, with the auto-alternation and round-robin ...
    So, what is auto-alternation? Is that an automatic bow change for every note? And what is round-robin?

I may have missed this too, but are the samples chromatic? Or are they stretched over intervals?

Thanks again for the patience and answers!
    Brandon

Brandon,

I said "simulate", because this is not a conventional sample library. All articulations, rather than sampled, are recreated in real time,

To get the bow change you don't have to switch the sustain pedal on every note. As long as you hold the pedal down , all notes will be played in the bowchange - legato/portamento mode.

The bowchange - legato mode is monophonic in the actual version.

If you have a sustain pedal down, and then hold a note down to do the portamento, you will get a portamento to the destination note, followed by a bow change.

All attacks change in a random fashion on the next note.

All samples are chromatic.

Giorgio

Exclamation Re: Questions about Stradivari

Quote Originally Posted by kurzman
    Fabio, thanks so much for the response. It helps a lot.

I was a bit confused about this quote above though. Were you referring to the bow direction question of mine? Will I need to wait until the Kontakt player before that can be assigned automatically?

I do have Kontakt 2.

But is there anyway to enable automatic bow direction? It still seems strange to have the bow direction be tied to the sustain pedal. What is the reason for that? I'm sure there must be something there I'm not thinking of.

Thanks again!
    Brandon
    I'm very sorry, I answer to the wrong thread. The answer was for another user.

Quote Originally Posted by Giorgio Tommasini
    Brandon,

I said "simulate", because this is not a conventional sample library. All articulations, rather than sampled, are recreated in real time,
    Giorgio
    So what exactly was sample recorded and what not?

A guess sus non vib, sus vib several kinds, and many dynamics and that's it?

The rest was/is done through editing, processing and KSP?

I understand you can't give out the entire secret but some thing ?

Garry told me the entire library is 500 mb!

Is this 16 bit mono?

Thanks.

Hey, don't look at me like that, I just want to know 'before' I buy.

Go Back to forum