• Register
  • Help

Topic: Mic Pres and Converters

Share/Bookmark

Mic Pres and Converters

Greetings to all,

I\'m currently in the market for a Mic-Preamplifier and AD Converter and I was curious as to what products people recommend. I will mainly be recording synths and samples from Gigastudio. My hardware interface is the Digi001. Here is a list of what I am considering purchasing:

1. Apogee Rosetta AD Converter
    2. Avalon U5 Direct Box (x2)
    3. Presonus Digimax

I am a new comer to this forum, so forgive me if this is not the appropriate place to post such a question. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated though.

-Gavin

Re: Mic Pres and Converters

I see no reason to run Giga through D/A just to go back through A/D. It sounds like you\'re running two machines one for Pro Tools and one for Giga. You should be able to stay in the digital domain for your Giga stuff. It\'s as simple as a SP/DIF connection between the two sound cards. If your sound cards have ADAT connections you can transfer 4 stereo tracks at a time with a fiber connection.

If you can\'t afford Apogee, try RME. Another possibility is the Lexicon MPX200. The Lex can be a stand alone converter or a reverb. Not bad for $300.

For a mic pre, look at the Focusrite Trackmaster. You get compression and EQ bundled in. Of course the Focusrite Red stuff is better for more $$.

Steve Chandler
    http://www.mp3.com/stevechandler

In the \'hi end\' area, the \'Apogee Mini-Me\' look very very cool...

Originally posted by GEL:
    Greetings to all,

I\'m currently in the market for a Mic-Preamplifier and AD Converter and I was curious as to what products people recommend. I will mainly be recording synths and samples from Gigastudio. My hardware interface is the Digi001. Here is a list of what I am considering purchasing:

1. Apogee Rosetta AD Converter
    2. Avalon U5 Direct Box (x2)
    3. Presonus Digimax

I am a new comer to this forum, so forgive me if this is not the appropriate place to post such a question. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated though.

-Gavin
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">presonus\' MP20 micpre is a good value in the $500 catagory. Hope this helps. Nice warm sound.

Rob

Go Back to forum