• Register
  • Help

Topic: Virtual Instruments in the Real World - Mike Oldfield

Share/Bookmark

Virtual Instruments in the Real World - Mike Oldfield

Hi All

I have just bought Mike Oldfield's latest album "Light and Shade." It is, of course, well up to his normal very high standard.

Having looked at the his instrument list, I thought I would post what he used. Apart from a host of "real" instruments he uses:

Native Instruments: Absynth 3, Altered States, FM7, Morphology, Reaktor, Sounds of Polynesia and Wired

Steinberg: Groove Agent, Hypersonic and XPhraze

Spectrasonics: Atmosphere and Stylus RMX

and some other VSTis as well.

I just think it's great to know of such legendary musicians using the same "stuff" as the rest of us. It also just goes to show what can be done with it!
    Tyrone Howe

Re: Virtual Instruments in the Real World - Mike Oldfield

Oldfield is famous for using Fruityloops (because they always name him as the ONE famous person who publically acknowledges that he uses it) too.

The VST/Virtual/Soft revolution has already happened, and the the war has already been fought and won. Now it's a whole new world we live in; nothing is a surprise anymore. The days of using only multi-million dollar equipment has officially ended. All kinds of established famous names are now using the same stuff as the rest of us, including old-timers with silver hair and hearing aids. It is nothing to be surprised by anymore.

I'm obviously not quite with it yet!

I am still in that stage of being impressed with all the soft synths. When I originally did music 20 years ago, I knew it was virtually impossible to sound like the pros if you were on a limited budget (which I was!)

Looks like I've just got back into music a few years AFTER the soft revolution happened!

So I won't post any more "wow look who's using this" posts and stand corrected that it's a lot more commonplace than I realised.

Wow. What interesting times!

All the best
    Tyrone Howe

Quote Originally Posted by tyronehowe
    I'm obviously not quite with it yet!

I am still in that stage of being impressed with all the soft synths. When I originally did music 20 years ago, I knew it was virtually impossible to sound like the pros if you were on a limited budget (which I was!)

Looks like I've just got back into music a few years AFTER the soft revolution happened!
    Ironically, some of the music in the "mainstream" through the 90s TRIED to sound "unprofessional". Didn't some people record on cassette...and do well selling that stuff???

<shakes head>.

--- Glenn

A sweet melody is always a sweet melody and a tool is just a tool... no matter if its an old eggslicer or a software sampler... the most important thing for any composer must be to express and publish the music his soul gives birth to...

If you end up on an isolated island and still feeel like composing you have to use what you have in our hands and this fact wouldnt stop you if youre a real composer. Its great with tools but thats not the truth inner flame of great music.

Meaning that during the last decades I have heard too much commercial music without a story behind it produced by non composers just because they could do it easily with available tools.

Deep or what?

J

Quote Originally Posted by jaxtone
    a tool is just a tool...
    You talkin' about ME?

Quote Originally Posted by jaxtone
    If you end up on an isolated island and still feeel like composing you have to use what you have in our hands and this fact wouldnt stop you if youre a real composer.
    I have the image of the desert island, one palm tree with a coconut sitting in the middle, and one man drawing full concert scores in the sand, only to have the tide wash them away (sniff...)

But you're right - if that's what you do, then that's what you WILL do, regardless of the environment.
    Dasher
    -------
    It's all about the music - really. I keep telling myself that...

If a man composes alone in a wood does he make any sound??

(Or for that matter, if he decomposes... same question )

Go Back to forum