• Register
  • Help

Topic: Controlling Volume in GPO Kontakt Player

Share/Bookmark

Controlling Volume in GPO Kontakt Player

Can anyone tell me what controls the "Volume" knob (graphic control) that appears in the 2nd row of controls at the top right in the GPO Kontakt Player. In my project, it seems to have a mind of its own and not be related to MIDI Main Volume (CC7), Main Volume LSB (CC39) or Modulation (CC1). This is most frustrating.

I'm using GPO Kontakt Player 1.1.8.003 in a Nuendo project (together with JABB and Giga3 Orchestra) on a PC platform, and having no end of trouble controlling volume on GPO instruments. I've made sure that there are no volume rides in Nuendo (just a constant 100 volume from beginning to end on the GPO tracks), and I've edited the MIDI data (in the MIDI List Editor) to ensure that there is no MIDI data (in the GPO tracks) other than notes, modulation (CC1) and main volume (CC7). The problem is that the behavior of the "Volume" knob on the GPO Kontakt player is erratic and different for different instruments. And not always the same even for the same instrument or track, sometimes resetting itself to zero (even though there are no occurrences of zero value CC7 anywhere in the track), sometimes not.

What am I missing? Any guesses? The tracks that are particularly problematic in this project are Bb Clarinet Ens1, Bass Clarinet Solo and Bassoon 1 Solo.

Re: Controlling Volume in GPO Kontakt Player

Quote Originally Posted by BerkleeDude
    Can anyone tell me what controls the "Volume" knob (graphic control) that appears in the 2nd row of controls at the top right in the GPO Kontakt Player. In my project, it seems to have a mind of its own and not be related to MIDI Main Volume (CC7), Main Volume LSB (CC39) or Modulation (CC1). This is most frustrating.

I'm using GPO Kontakt Player 1.1.8.003 in a Nuendo project (together with JABB and Giga3 Orchestra) on a PC platform, and having no end of trouble controlling volume on GPO instruments. I've made sure that there are no volume rides in Nuendo (just a constant 100 volume from beginning to end on the GPO tracks), and I've edited the MIDI data (in the MIDI List Editor) to ensure that there is no MIDI data (in the GPO tracks) other than notes, modulation (CC1) and main volume (CC7). The problem is that the behavior of the "Volume" knob on the GPO Kontakt player is erratic and different for different instruments. And not always the same even for the same instrument or track, sometimes resetting itself to zero (even though there are no occurrences of zero value CC7 anywhere in the track), sometimes not.

What am I missing? Any guesses? The tracks that are particularly problematic in this project are Bb Clarinet Ens1, Bass Clarinet Solo and Bassoon 1 Solo.
    I guess (and that's how I use it) this knob is for the basic volume of this
    track from which you can use CC7 for further manipulation.
    Reseting to zero never happened so far so I can't comment on this.

Tom

GPO uses the mod wheel for volume. You can fiddle with cc7 all you want, but it won’t do anything. GPO is quite different than other sample libraries. I would urge you to sit down with a cup of coffee and spend some time with the manual.

The volume control in the player is adjustable by the user, but is usually thought of as a "set it and forget it thing." The out of the box settings are, for the most part, very usable. I would warn against pushing these up too much, since this will cause distortion with pops and such.

Karl

Quote Originally Posted by BerkleeDude
    even though there are no occurrences of zero value CC7 anywhere in the track
    A couple of things (even though I don't use Nuendo, but SONAR--I think certain behaviors of these sequencers are similar):

1. There is an option in the Kontakt player that determines whether the the players will respond to CC7 and CC10. If you don't have the option turned on (1 above) then the players will not respond to any CC7/CC10's. If it's on, all player instances will respond.

2. It's the channel, rather than the track, that determines where a CC msg goes. So if you have some stray CC7's on any track that is associated with a player instance, the channel encoded in these events will determine which slot/instrument in the player is affected. If Nuendo is anything like SONAR or Cubase, the track may contain midi events for any midi channel.

Also, one thing that is a bit misleading is that vol knob in the player (for some reason) does not always reflect the actual volume of a slot. Sometimes moving off of, and back onto, a slot, or even clicking once on the knob, may cause the vol knob to display properly. This may just be an artifact of having the option referred to in 1 above turned on, as I do.
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Garrett
    GPO uses the mod wheel for volume. You can fiddle with cc7 all you want, but it won’t do anything. GPO is quite different than other sample libraries. I would urge you to sit down with a cup of coffee and spend some time with the manual.
    That's correct, I'm sitting now in front of my keyboard and what I
    refered to was the modulation wheel that (as I know now) isn't
    assigned to CC7.

Sorry for that missleading statement.
    Tom

Go Back to forum