• Register
  • Help

Topic: Sib 4 and GPO: Beethoven's 6th Symphony

Sib 4 and GPO: Beethoven's 6th Symphony

Today I received and installed the upgrade from Sibelius 3 to 4 as well as GPO Sibelius Edition. I am quite impressed with the software after first use. It is much better than Kontakt Gold. I know that when I was contemplating buying the software it was very helpful for me to hear samples from Sibelius itself. I already knew that GPO sounded brilliant, but I wanted to know if that stayed true while being played from Sibelius.

I've posted an MP3 of Sibelius 4 playing Beethoven's Symphony No. 6 in F, or the first two minutes at least.

I made no modifications at all, I simply imported a MIDI file I got from online and set the sample collection to GPO Romantic Orchestra. Every single setting is default (reverb is off) so this is how it sounds out of the box.

It sounds pretty well until the very end, when it goes a little crazy. I think that I'm using more instruments than I'm supposed to with my amount of RAM during the climax of this piece; I'm sure there are many ways to fix the problems associated with high poliphony (besides buying more RAM of course!), but overall I'm very impressed and excited with what I have, and out of the box as well.

System Specs:

iMac G5 1.8Ghz with 1024 MB RAM running Mac OS 10.4.4

I can give you more information on my machine if you so desire:

MP3 Link: http://www.connorfabiano.com/misc/pastoral.mp3

I hope this helps:

Re: Sib 4 and GPO: Beethoven's 6th Symphony

Welcome to the fray, Connor!

Sounds like you at least got everything hooked and working -- not bad for the first day! (Took me a week... lol; but then again, that's my peculiar gift to make the simple complicated as hell.)

No doubt you've got a bit of tinkering to get ahead on this. Much of the first part sounded fine (though lacking sound treatment)... but I really can't guess what's going on in the latter part of that.

But! There are a variety of technical wizards around here who should be jumping aboard to lend aid.

I might also suggest posting in the tech support section -- you'll likely get in front of the right eyeballs more quickly there, Connor.

My best,

Heh, I know I've seen you somewhere in the piano society forum.

Not bad at all! But yes, I agree that it needs a bit more tweaking. One thing I'd suggest is to add some reverb since it is a little too dry. I don't use the GPO + sibelius 4 edition (I use GPO studio and Sib 3), so I don't know how that exactly works. I'm sure there are others that can help who use the GPO + Sib 4 edition.

♪♪♪♪ CâTå ♪♪♪♪

Hi Vissequ,

I hope you enjoy Sibelius 4 and GPO.

If you ever need any help, just let me know, as I have discovered a few little tricks here and there that I have found really useful.

Good work! And welcome!!
    I agree with the need for a little 'verb. What did you do to produce this (it isn't a bad idea to put it in your signature (mine is overkill I know....partly in fun....but it helps when we share our thoughts and suggestions).

A good start is add the 'ambience' reverb that is built into GPO and experiment with the settings. Of course if you have money and want to spend it wisely check out the forum more for suggestions. It does depend on Mac vs PC sometimes and also which notation software and whether or not you use a DAW as well.

Looking forward to hearing more.

Mac Pro 2X2.8 Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xenon, 10Gb 800 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM, OS10.6.4, Finale 2011, Digital Performer 7.1, Altiverb 6, Yamaha S90, Built-in audio, GPO, JABB, Garritan Authorized Steinway (Pro), Reason 3, M-Audio Ozone, Giovani, Symphonic Choirs, Kontakt 2, Vienna Symphonic Library. Website:http://www.paulread.ca

Thank you all for your responses, do any of you have any suggestions for maximizing the playback quality from GPO in Sibelius 4?

I posted my system specs above, but if you need more detail let me know.

I don't know what kind of soundcard you have, but I turn the latency down to the lowest level so it is very slow - well, you won't notice anything with playback throug Sibelius 4 [well, you shouldn't anyway..]. My DMA Buffer size is normally set to 256 for playback, but when I work with Sibelius/GPO I change it to 2048. It takes the strain off the cpu, and means I can add the reverb in the kontakt player.

When you do something different like playback samples on your midi keyboard if you have one, you have to remember to reset the buffer size back to the fast latency, otherwise you will feel like you are playing "behind" the music, and wonder why. This has happenned a few times to me, and I then suddenly remember I have forgotten to change the latency back for midi playing.

Hope that helps!

Steve Martin

Go Back to forum