• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Mike's Day 1 NAMM Report

Share/Bookmark

Mike's Day 1 NAMM Report

I guess it's a little presumptuous to start my own thread on this, but by golly, this internet hookup is costing me by the hour, so I'm milking it for all it's worth!

VSL's new VI - Not surprisingly, this looked very cool. The big appeal to me is that all of each instrument can now be on just one track. For example, you only need one "violins" track, which can internally switch between all the articulations (legato, repetition, etc) and different tones (marcato, pizzicato, soft, etc) in real time. I like this because one thing that makes orchestral sequencing a pain is you need 5-10 tracks of each instrument and the full sequence becomes unwieldy. Now (end of February, actually) you need just one. However, I should note that the VI doesn't do much in terms of new articulations that you couldn't do before with VSL, it's just easier. But for my money, it's worth it. I should also point out that the application did crash once during the demo I saw, though it's obviously not the final release version (in fact, for now they only had strings and woodwinds.)

Loads of new software instruments - NOT! This year's show is very light in new software, at least from what I saw today. Even the big guns East West and Ilio had nothing not previously released. I saw Nick at EW, by the way, and told him Orchestra Platinum would be useable if it didn't have so many damned out of tune samples! He got a chuckle out of it.

Gigastudio for Mac - No announcement yet, but one of the guys said it will be made during the show. But the announcement is just that they PLAN on it. It won't actually be ready for 6 months or a year. Don't quote me on this one because I don't know how reliable the guy I spoke with is.

Origins - Somebody elsewhere really didn't like this one a few weeks ago. I checked out the demo at the Ilio booth and it sounded pretty cool to me, though. Enough so that I bought it. I'll load it tonight and give my impressions later.

Logic - They claim Logic 7.2 works with the Intel Macs and ProTools 7 as well. I can't remember the release date, though.

Most boring synth demonstrations - Native Instruments. They get this prize every year. Their products are so great and often cutting edge, yet the guys showing them have about as much charisma as a lamp.

Best demonstration - Eric Persing from Spectrasonics. Who doesn't love watching Eric demo a product? Spectrasonics had no new products, but Eric demoed some new tricks for Atmosphere, Trilogy and RMX. I have to admit I was skeptical, but by golly, I learned some VERY cool stuff. Hopefully his tips will be available on their website later.

Best demonstration, honorable mention - Phil Jackson at Logic. As usual, he's very entertaining. I've been on Logic for years, but I still watch his demos because he's such a power user, there are always a few tricks I haven't seen before. He's lightning fast with editing.

Smartest attendee - Me. Because I'm one of the only people here who brings a bike. Rather than pay and park my car (pickup, actually) in the parking lot and walk 1/2 mile to the entrance, I ride from my hotel right up to the bike rack which is right at the entrance. There was only one other bike besides mine, even less than last year! Plus, when I lock it up, I run the lock cable through the handles of my bag which has my extra water bottles and stuff in it . . . a sort of on site locker! I'm so smart I just can't stand it!

- Mike Greene

Re: Mike's Day 1 NAMM Report

Mike...you'n your bike.
    You're too cool!
    Thanks for the report....

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Greene
    I'm so smart I just can't stand it!

- Mike Greene
    Man, do I know that feeling...

Thanks for the update Mike! I've been checking the web all day to find the Holy Grail this year at NAMM. By the looks of it the hardware guys (Roland, Korg, etc) seem to be coming out with lots of cool stuff! Sotware guys are missing in action.

If you get a chance, please post for Day 2.

Darren
    www.darrenpasdernick.com
    "Every time you play a wrong note God kills a kitten."

Banned

Hmmm... Free water bottles

- Stefan

mike .. if you see the guys at vsl again . will you ask them if the older pro ed tool integrated into EXS24 will still be there in logic 7.2

Infact - I would love extra and detailed info on VSL - have a handycam? be a hero and upload the footage

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Best demonstration - Eric Persing from Spectrasonics. Who doesn't love watching Eric demo a product?
    Did Eric have his shiny new Zendrum?

thanks Mike!

if you get a chance to check out the new VSL timpani, let me know if it pops at loud dynamics better than the current one (which sounds really flat and lifeless to me).

wish i was there!

-john
    John DeBorde

Composer of Music for Film, TV and Interactive Media

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Greene
    the guys showing them have about as much charisma as a lamp.
    - Mike Greene
    too funny Mike!
    ha ha ha ha ha

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce A. Richardson
    Did Eric have his shiny new Zendrum?
    Yes, he used it in his demos. He even let me play a few notes, though I got the impression I was fondeling his baby. At one point he had an Atmosphere patch routed to each trigger. He used RMX to trigger Trilogy and Atmosphere and ran Atmoshere through supaTrigga to get some really cool results.
    Among other things he showed us how to get a cool piano sound from a Jaco harmonic patch in Trilogy. The man obviously never stops inventing.

Go Back to forum