• Register
  • Help

Topic: Quick check, please...

Share/Bookmark

Quick check, please...

Yeah, I ask for that on every gig,if not for cash...

JABB QUESTION: Just opened it up tonight for the first time. Got it set up fine--it's making a lot of sound!

Since I am familiar with GPO, something in JABB looked different, so I thought I'd ask--didn't see it in a quick RTFM, either...

I understand that the horns are monophonic, but as I was auditioning sounds, I noticed that the polyphony in the Kontakt player was set to 8, and playing a single note used polyphony 3 or 2 of the 8 for one note.

Also, I got a real short "blip" rather than a note after I dragged the 8 down to 1. Real notes started coming out at 3 or 4.

Is this normal & right, or have I committed some stupid installation/setup error? Is it due to the complexity of the programming?

Jim
    Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    N9EJR
    Indianapolis Brass Choir
    All Your Bass Sus&Short Are Belong to Us.

Re: Quick check, please...

Quote Originally Posted by snorlax
    Yeah, I ask for that on every gig,if not for cash...

JABB QUESTION: Just opened it up tonight for the first time. Got it set up fine--it's making a lot of sound!

Since I am familiar with GPO, something in JABB looked different, so I thought I'd ask--didn't see it in a quick RTFM, either...

I understand that the horns are monophonic, but as I was auditioning sounds, I noticed that the polyphony in the Kontakt player was set to 8, and playing a single note used polyphony 3 or 2 of the 8 for one note.

Also, I got a real short "blip" rather than a note after I dragged the 8 down to 1. Real notes started coming out at 3 or 4.

Is this normal & right, or have I committed some stupid installation/setup error? Is it due to the complexity of the programming?

Jim
    Without knowing the facts I suppose that each monophonic sound is actually
    made up of different samples that are (partly) played simultaniously.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by snorlax

Jim
    To answer your last question first: The complexity of the programming. The JABB instruments use a different construction compared to GPO. The setting of "8" is correct and necessary. The layered construction of these instruments with things like air flow noise, key click sounds, etc. required a different approach to the tongue/slur function. The full instruments are not adjustable for polyphony - they are always monophonic. Having a polyphony setting of "8" gives room for the additional feature layers. Lower settings will choke them off. The new "lite" instruments, on the other hand, use the same construction as the GPO instruments and can be adjusted for polyphony. This comes at the expense of many of the fancier features, of course. For these instruments the monophonic behavior will happen when the polyphony is set to "1." Polyphonic behavior takes place at higher settings.

Tom

Thanks for the reply, Tom...now I understand & am ready to get down to some music! (now that I know I didn't commit some egregious error!) Much appreciated...

Jim
    Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    N9EJR
    Indianapolis Brass Choir
    All Your Bass Sus&Short Are Belong to Us.

Go Back to forum