• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: JABB: A song about a cat.

Share/Bookmark

JABB: A song about a cat.

Not too much JABB content here lately, so I'll post something I've meant to post for a while.

Some of the most enjoyable moments of making music on my DAW have been when I've had the pleasure recording my little sister singing. It started out when she was about five, typically with children songs and the kind of stuff she would learn in kindergarten. She has ususally visited us about once a year, and each year we've produced a CD to give to family and friends. Lately we've started to write our own songs, starting with her just improvising lyrics and melody while I play some chords on keyboard or guitar.

The last time she visited us, in october, she had written some lyrics she wanted to use. One of these lyrics was about her cat, and I thought it suggested an up-tempo jazzy melody and arrangement. It was also interesting to find out how complex a melody she was able to learn.
    Anyway, I think she managed very well, and with JABB at the door in late november I managed to finish off the arrangement just in time for traveling home for christmas.

You can find it here:

http://www.stud.ntnu.no/~aslakbj/lillolil.mp3
    (I'll maybe give you a translation later.., and btw, she's nine years old now)

Aslak

Re: JABB: A song about a cat.

Hey, this is great!

(I'd love to read the translation.)

Fine arrangement on this, Guitarzan -- very well done.

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    -

I think this is tremendous. Lots of spirit and and life. You must have found it fun to record. Well done...must be a VERY cool cat.

Paul
    Mac Pro 2X2.8 Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xenon, 10Gb 800 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM, OS10.6.4, Finale 2011, Digital Performer 7.1, Altiverb 6, Yamaha S90, Built-in audio, GPO, JABB, Garritan Authorized Steinway (Pro), Reason 3, M-Audio Ozone, Giovani, Symphonic Choirs, Kontakt 2, Vienna Symphonic Library. Website:http://www.paulread.ca

Smile Re: JABB: A song about a cat.

What a lovely song! You have a very talented sister!!!

Really great arrangement!!!

Seems like the two of you had a blast working on this project together. Very, very cool!

Ted

David, Paul and Ted, thanks for your nice comments.

My sister is talented yes, she sang perfectly in tune even before she could talk..

Here's the promised translation:

I've got a cat that is grey and white
    when he comes inside he goes here and there
    and now he's become one year
    oh, how the time goes by

And his name is Lillolil
    and the owners name is Marie
    They have a good time
    from morning till night
    trallalala

He strolls around in the hill
    and his girlfriend is actually Pia
    Pia is Elises cat
    The fur is so soft and smooth

And his name....

Aslak

What a fantastic little voice she has! Cute!

Lovely. Thanks for posting it.
    Jon

hey this is really cute ...your sister did a very good job, might be she did not sing every note 100% in tune...but that's absolute normal for kids and I know enough adults who have problems to get all of the notes in tune, too (me for example ) what is more important is that she did catch without problems that difficult melody. now that's really evil from you to test her limits with these intervals lol definitely no child-song. a nice arrangement and a good-temper song...funny lyrix! which language is that? norwegian? would like to read the original lyrix...

thanks for sharing

Quote Originally Posted by GigaLove
    hey this is really cute ...your sister did a very good job, might be she did not sing every note 100% in tune...but that's absolute normal for kids and I know enough adults who have problems to get all of the notes in tune, too (me for example ) what is more important is that she did catch without problems that difficult melody. now that's really evil from you to test her limits with these intervals lol definitely no child-song. a nice arrangement and a good-temper song...funny lyrix! which language is that? norwegian? would like to read the original lyrix...

thanks for sharing
    Thanks for the comments, the original norwegian lyrics follows:
    (Written in dialect spelling, they are actually allowed to do that in school these days)

Ej he ein katt som e grå og kvit
    Når han kjeme inn går han hit og dit
    Og no he han blitt eit år
    Ja tida ho går og går

Og hans namn e Lillolil
    og eigaren sitt e Marie
    Dei he det kjekt og bra
    frå morgon til kveld
    trallala

Han vraltar rundt i lia
    og kjæresten e jammen Pia
    Pia e Elise sin katt
    pelsen e så mjuk og glatt

Og hans namn.....

Aslak

once again thanks for the effort! I like these lyrics. normally lyrics deal about the lost or unfulfilled love, wailing about injustice in the world etc...always the same boring shiite. and she just sings about her cat which she loves. beautiful.

great song, great vocals

cheers!

Wow that was great! She really had that cool feel over her singing
    The arrangements where great, and I just can't seem to get the melody out of my head. Especially the modulation in the beginning is brilliant!

Veldig bra jobba!

Arild

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast