• Register
  • Help

Topic: Need help configuring new PC

Share/Bookmark

Need help configuring new PC

I am thinking of buying a new faster computer and was wondering if someone could tell me how to configure 2 hard drives for it. My friend put together my last one for me and I don\'t remember which jumpers are set to slave, where the primary ide cable goes, etc. (sorry for sounding like a retard).
    Basically I just want to swap my C and D drive from my old computer and put it into a faster P4 since I already have all my programs and gigs on them.
    Will I have to format the drives to do this or will they just work automatically? I was running on Win 98 but will be using XP.
    Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] ,

Damon
    http://damonbradley.tripod.com/

Re: Need help configuring new PC

I would start out with a fresh install of WinXP. You will then need to reinstall your programs. I do not recommend doing an upgrade path from Win 98. You can migrate some some settings from Win 98 to WinXP. Don\'t quite remember the name of the program in XP since I\'m running Win 98 at this time on this partition.

Where is your data and gig files? Hopefully it is on your D: drive which should be the slave drive. If you do a fresh install it should just affect your C: drive.

Most modern mobos should be jumper-free so you should be able to do everything from the BIOS (as long as you plug them into the right place).

If you were to keep win98 you wouldn\'t have so many headaches - just slam the drives in (the OS is already there on the C drive, but you might still have to configure the BIOS and other \'things\' as the OS finds all the new stuff on the mobo). Make sure you get all the documentation for the motherboard - the actual slot where you install each drive will probably determine whether it\'s a master or a slave.

Haydn is right. I\'ve never heard of anyone ever installing XP or 2000 over 98; a recipe for disaster. A clean format/install is the way to go.

There is an excellent document on the Tascam site that deals with this very problem. Last time I looked, the link was right on the main page. The advantage of having such a document at hand is that it doesn\'t just supply details of the best way to configure a DAW, it actually gives you an idea of what to expect during the install. Some of the stuff that happens during format/install can be quite scary; best to be prepared.

You might want to consider partitioning your C drive, so you can keep what you\'ve got, install XP in another logical drive (on the same drive) then slowly migrating. The advantage here is that you can install and test everything bit by bit, making sure eveything is stable before you take the next step. The doc at Tascam also explains how to set up such a dual boot system.

What you want to do is a little trickier than it sounds. 98 uses a different drive format than 2000 or XP; both of the latter OS\'s are completely different from 98. Luckily, I believe that XP should be able to read the FAT32 format that 98 uses (but you\'d better check that), so your data disk should be OK as it stands (as Haydn said).

As usual, I\'d try to spend a lot of time researching this before you take the plunge (an example of stroke-inducing messages would be having to decide which \'format\' to use on the drive). Best to eliminate all the surprises.

It\'s also worth reading a few motherboard reviews at tomshardware or anandtech. By the time your eyes are dropping out of your head, you\'ll have an idea of what goes where and why. Changing two drives and an OS for a DAW isn\'t quite as trivial as it sounds (unfortunately).

The good news is that after you\'ve done the dirty deed and it\'s all working properly, you\'ll forget everything you did so that when someone asks the kind of question you\'ve asked here, you\'ll start to write an answer and halfway through you\'ll remember that you forgot (as I\'ve just demonstrated).

And remember to go out and get all the new drivers you\'ll need for your current software (different for XP) and, in fact, you might want to make sure that the software you want to use can work in XP. 2000 is pretty good for this but I\'m not sure that XP has caught up yet with all the legacy support (just in case, and another reason why a dual boot might be a good way forward).

Read Tasacam\'s doc, we tend to slam them for their lack of giga documentation but this doc really is excellent.

Thanks for the replies guys. I am going to get a new Hewlett Packard and basically just insert my C and D drives into it. I\'m just going to use the faster processor basically.
    The new HP has Win XP already on it and I am using Cakewalk Sonar XL which is XP compatible and i will have to download the latest giga upgrade for Win XP. I don\'t know if this will cause problems.
    Basically I wont be doing any new installs of an OS, just putting in my old drives into the new computer. Will this still cause problems?

Thanks [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

What CD drives does this machine come with? Many of the new machines have both a CD or DVD drive plus a CD burner. If they have 2 drives of these drives you will not have enough IDE ports to hook both hard drive into.

Make sure you copy down the registration info for GigaStudio before you do anything. You will need this for the upgrade to the XP version.

You can setup a dual boot between XP and Win 98 by editing the boot.ini file in the root partition on the new drive.

Windows XP can read FAT32 partitions. It is recommended by Tascam to have the partitions containing your gig files as FAT32 as it appears to be faster than NTFS partitions. NTFS partitions are used by Win XP.

Originally posted by Damon:
    Thanks for the replies guys. I am going to get a new Hewlett Packard and basically just insert my C and D drives into it. I\'m just going to use the faster processor basically.
    The new HP has Win XP already on it and I am using Cakewalk Sonar XL which is XP compatible and i will have to download the latest giga upgrade for Win XP. I don\'t know if this will cause problems.
    Basically I wont be doing any new installs of an OS, just putting in my old drives into the new computer. Will this still cause problems?

Thanks [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I would strongly recommend not getting an HP system.

I work for an HP authorized repair center, at any given point I\'ll have 2 of their systems on my bench. Also, so you know, they\'re not repairing systems anymore under warranty, they replace them. It\'s quite asinine when I have to replace an entire computer when a floppy drive fails. They also don\'t reimburse us for copying data over (as we\'re not allowed to swap factory installed parts.. hard drives and the like) so it costs the customer when we have to ghost the drive from the old system to the new.

If you have to get a namebrand computer, get a Dell. If not, find a reputable local company to build you a custom clone.

Wow, thanks for the info guys. I think the best thing i may need to do is get a custom built DAW. Glad i didnt just go out an get a new faster HP.

Can anyone recommend a company that builds good custom DAWs?

Thanks,

Damon

Another thing to add regarding most brands of PC\'s. If you open up the case to make upgrades, there is a good chance that you will void your warranty. Also, HP uses system boards that have riser cards in many of their computers. You can\'t go out to the local computer store and buy replacement systemboards for these systems when they are out of warranty. You pretty much need to build a new system. I always steer clear of systems with riser boards.

I build my own systems and have been doing this for 10 years. My systems rarely have problems and the first one I built was still running fine the last time I talked to the current owner of it. I just try to use high quality components and not always the latest greatest components. I\'ve had good luck with ASUS and Aopen motherboards. I usually just get Intel boxed processors which come with a 3 year warranty. I usually use name brand memory and not the cheaper no name brands.

Cool Haydn. Thanks for the reply. I\'m gonna put my own PC together along with my friends help.

I\'ve built my own systems (and countless ones for friends) for years. I recently started building machines specifically for audio work.

Building your own machine is not difficult.

As far as drives, I would recommend any recent model motherboard with onboard raid. I don\'t use the raid configuration, but rather I use the raid as separate IDE ports.

I recently a new machine to host Sonar 2XL. I purchased a Soyo Dragon KT400. The Soyo has the basic 2 IDE ports, plus 2 raid configurable IDE ports. I didn\'t set up a raid, so it gave me 2 additional ATA100 ports.

I bought 2 Western Digital Special Edition drives (120 meg). The special edition drives have 8 meg caches, are very fast and have a longer warranty.

Each drive is a master on it\'s own port. My DVD-R/CD-RW also is a master.

This configuration allows for very fast, trouble free performance.

Mark

Go Back to forum