THE SKYSAW NEW MUSIC PRIZE #1, Theme: "Bittersweet"
Need inspiration for a new piece? Don't know what to write? Time for a little shove!
I have decided to offer this opportunity as my contribution to the Garritan community. I do not wish to overshadow the forum's Orchestration Challenges, which I think are of great value here, so I have constructed this contest to be of a very different nature. If this round goes well, I'd like to do this every other month or so.
The focus of the contest is on originality in music composition, and on originality and craft of orchestration technique. Beautifully crafted works full of heart soul and passion may not fare as well here if they do not also have a unique vision. However, I am not looking for "novelty for novelty's sake."
I would like to start encouraging and rewarding "unsafe" composition on these forums, and in general.
1. All sound sources must originate from Garritan libraries (GPO, JABB, Garriatan Strad, etc.) Further manipulation is allowed -- sounds may be processed with any reverb, delay, EQ, compressors, amp simulators, etc.
2. All music must be original and written by the contest entrant. Arrangements of existing music will not be accepted.
Please excuse my humble offerings, but it is all I can contribute at this time.
1. Entrant's choice of two of three of my CDs (Red Wire/Rock; Running Deep/Soundtrack; Modern Works for Orchestra/Classical... details to come on these).
2. Short bio, link, and mp3 download on the allhands.com website (if desired), on a soon-to-be-created contest result area.
3. (EDIT)Gary is donating a Garritan Library of the winner's choice to add to the first prize.
1. Entrant's choice of one of my CDs listed above.
In addition, I will give the top four entries analysis and detailed reviews.
Deadline for entries is February 15, 2006*. You may enter simply by stating your intent here and linking to your entry. If you don't have an easy way to host your file, please PM me, and we'll work something out.
*(EDIT) Due to Gary's generous offer, the deadline has been extended to March 1
All initial judging to narrow the candidates to the top two will be done by me. Who am I to judge? Nobody, really. But I have been writing music for over 30 years, and listen to more than my share of many different styles.
The top two entries will be posted in a new thread along with my comments, and put to a vote by the entire forum community. The final winner will be decided by a majority of votes.
GUIDELINES FOR THIS MONTH
A. Length - 1-3 minutes.
B. Theme - Your theme for this month is "Bittersweet." Feel free to interpret that however you like. I offer it mainly as a starting point to spark your muse.
C. Instrumentation - Pick 4-7 from this list:
1. Solo violin
2. Harp or accordian
4. Trumpet or Piccolo trumpet (muted or open)
5. Flute or alto flute or bass flute
7. Celesta or Vibraphone
I believe that the short length requirement and small instrumentation will allow people to complete something in the short time I am alloting to this contest.
Good luck to all who apply!