• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: EWQL-SO Gold: questions about "release trail" and reverb control

Share/Bookmark

EWQL-SO Gold: questions about "release trail" and reverb control

Hi,

There's my problem: I got a fast piece with pizzicatos and staccatos and the "tails" ("trails"?!) kind of stay in the way and turn everything blurry. I would need more clarity...

What are the "release trails"? Can they be accessed and shortened?

How can I reduce the reverb? The reverb function in Kompakt seems to work only one way, to add reverb, while what I need is the opposite, to reduce it.

If I have understood correctly, the C samples (close mics) are available only in the Platinum edition. Yet I cannot believe that no reverb control (and no "release trails" control) is possible in the Gold version...

Thanks,

Nicky

Re: EWQL-SO Gold: questions about "release trail" and reverb control

Maybe get silver for the close mics? I think as a Gold owner you can get a deal on silver, but I'm a bit fuzzy on the details.

Hi Nicky,

All the short staccato, pizzicato, short marcato patches etc. are designed without release trails. The only way to have less ambience in these samples is to shorten the release time in the ADSR envelope or else the whole samples will be playing even if you insert short notes. F

That happens because the Release in the adsr is usually huge for these patches... sometimes 4 or 5 seconds. You will also be saving polyphony this way. I suggest around 2.5 to 3 seconds release for these short patches but you might find that even short works with a soft touch of reverb.

For the rest of the patches you can select the RT groups (Which stand for release trails) and lower the volume of those groups specifically, or make their release value in ADSR smaller as well.

A touch of soft reverb helps generally to glue the mix... don't over do it though . A high pass filter on higher instruments also helps.. you don't need anything under 150hz on the violins for example unless they are playing on their own and you need them to be more "alive and there".

Hope this helps somehow!
    Theo Krueger - Composer

www.TheoKrueger.com

Kontakt 2 Scripts

Quote Originally Posted by Theodor
    The only way to have less ambience in these samples is to shorten the release time in the ADSR envelope or else the whole samples will be playing even if you insert short notes. F
    Just a small side note on the above...

By making the ADSR release smaller, the ambience in the samples themselves will -not- be decreased, but there will be smaller ambience and polyphony build up, especially if you are playing a lot of fast notes.
    Theo Krueger - Composer

www.TheoKrueger.com

Kontakt 2 Scripts

In addition to decreasing the release, you can also decrease the sustain and give it a reasonable value for decay. This is how the patches are done in Silver anyways - it's the same samples, but with adjusted ADHSR so that the reverb trails are truncated heavily. Theo is right about the ambience though, but by fudging with the sustain/decay in addition to release, you can still kinda fake your way through it. You could also try giving the patches a presence boost in EQ, as well as cutting unnecessary frequencies like Theo suggested - this should make it sound "closer" to some degree.

Any one of these things would solve the problem, but again it's really easy to overdo it and end up with something unmusical. If you really need biting, gritty, in-your-face staccatos then you might wanna consider VSL or Kirk Hunter's library. I doubt getting Silver would really change anything that you can't do on your own with ADHSR.
    Wilbert Roget, II
    Composer
    Rogetmusic.com

Quote Originally Posted by damoy
    Maybe get silver for the close mics? I think as a Gold owner you can get a deal on silver, but I'm a bit fuzzy on the details.
    Silver doesn't have the close miked samples, does it? I thought that it was just a 16bit version of Gold....

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Journeyman
    Silver doesn't have the close miked samples, does it? I thought that it was just a 16bit version of Gold....
    Gold is also 16-bit. Silver has:

* fewer articulations
    * no release trails
    * stretched samples (3 half steps)

Silver has the "stage" mics. But with the release trails removed, it's kind of like having the close mics.

- Stefan

Question Re: EWQL-SO Gold: questions about "release trail" and reverb control

Thanks everyone for the hints, I'm getting "closer". I miss the close mics though, probably those samples sound much more "neat"...

I wasn't able to acces the RT groups (release trails). Where are they? Would you please show me the way?

Thanks,

Nicky

The only way to get those close mics is to buy Platinum.

You want close mic., get VSL, don't make the mistake i did, i now realize EW was a waste of my money. Ho!..yea, there is some good stuff but, if i could go back in time, it would be VSL, there's no risk there.

Go Back to forum