• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Web Site for Demos etc

Share/Bookmark

Web Site for Demos etc

Well, I am considering a web site, since prices are not so bad now. I am considering a site with 5 GB storage and 200 GB monthly data transfer. Does that sound decent?

Richard

Thumbs up Re: Web Site for Demos etc

Sounds decent enough. Let us know when you're up to check it out! Hey, love the new look (that is you, right?) The fedora is pretty jazzy! Cool.
    Styxx

Re: Web Site for Demos etc

Quote Originally Posted by rwayland
    Well, I am considering a web site, since prices are not so bad now. I am considering a site with 5 GB storage and 200 GB monthly data transfer. Does that sound decent?

Richard
    Question on that, Richard.

Did you say 200GB transfer? Sure that wasn't MB?

Or that it wasn't 5GB transfer, and 200MB storage?

200GB transfer's a lotta lotta.

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    -

Depends on how much you want and are willing to spend.

I use the following web-hosting company for my small company's web site. It has unlimited band-width with TONS of storage. But I pay a bit over $300/year for the "Platinum" package (using the LINUX configuration).

Here's their web site: Host Way

Golly. . . there are gazillions of web hosting companies out there!! Some better than others I am sure!! As you probably know, each company offers a variety of levels of web-hosting service. Host Way had done me well (for the most part) throughout the recent years, though.

Good luck to you!!

Ted
    Music and humor are healthy for the soul.

Ted's right on that one: Picking a host... there are tens of thousands of them, and prices range all over the block.

So does performance, and particularly, service.

It's definitely a good idea to talk around -- get opinions from others on their own hosts; because a whole lotta the best-looking host ops are badly run, and usually no more than resellers of space on massive server farms like ThePlanet.

As I'm in this business, have been for many years, and also run my own hosting operation [private, sorry] -- one I can recommend at around 200% is www.FutureQuest.com

For domain registration, by the way, of the dozen or so I've used over the years, www.GoDaddy.com has proven itself well.

David
    ----------
    David J. Sosnowski
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    aka
    etLux, Chief Programmer
    OEC InterNET Group
    =================
    www.CodeBrain.com
    www.CodeLifter.com
    www.MicroTicker.com
    www.BrainCode.com
    www.CodeFoot.com
    www.CodeBelly.com
    www.OECCorp.com
    www.BQQQ.com
    www.jsCode.com
    www.etLux.com
    www.D3Q.com
    www.PopUpWorks.com
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    www.AstonishingTimes.com
    www.FFFast.com
    www.MailToProtector.com

Having a web site is a great convenience, especially for us composers who need music hosting

5 GB with 200 GB monthly transfer sounds very reasonable to me. I have 4 GB with 125 GB of monthly transfer, and it's been more than enough.

There are definitely a lot of hosts out there. I found my host with http://findmyhosting.com/ ... makes it very easy to search the options.

The hosting company I've been with for two years is http://webhostingbuzz.com I've been very happy with them.
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Prices look *great* on that one, Sean!

Heck, $3-4/month... so long as they keep the box running, how could you go wrong... lol.

Just out of curiousity, how much bandwidth do you actually use a month?

It takes one heck of a lotta downloading to get anywhere near 100GB.

David
    -

Quote Originally Posted by etLux
    Just out of curiousity, how much bandwidth do you actually use a month?

It takes one heck of a lotta downloading to get anywhere near 100GB.
    Indeed it does My bandwidth is usually within the 2-3 GB a month, the highest it ever got was 4 GB Talk about small ... just 4 out of 125! But just about all my traffic comes from mp3 downloads from links I post on this forum.
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Quote Originally Posted by SeanHannifin
    Indeed it does My bandwidth is usually within the 2-3 GB a month, the highest it ever got was 4 GB Talk about small ... just 4 out of 125! But just about all my traffic comes from mp3 downloads from links I post on this forum.
    Yeah, that sounds about right... my own personal site www.DavidSosnowski.com does anywhere between 5-10G/month...

Why I was questioning Richard's numbers, by the way was -- there are quite a lot of [rather lousy] hosts out there that offer packages in the 200MB range for transfer. They know a great many people easily confuse the numbers, and prey on that.

D.

Quote Originally Posted by etLux
    Yeah, that sounds about right... my own personal site www.DavidSosnowski.com does anywhere between 5-10G/month...

Why I was questioning Richard's numbers, by the way was -- there are quite a lot of [rather lousy] hosts out there that offer packages in the 200MB range for transfer. They know a great many people easily confuse the numbers, and prey on that.

D.
    Well, having taught electronic theory and algebra for a university extension program, I am not likely to be confused by the numbers. But, here is a clip from the site:

# 5GB of disk space
    — that's plenty of information storage space to get started
    # 200GB/month of data transfer
    — (also known as bandwidth) allows lots of users to visit your site

What I did not know was if that was a useful amount of storage and transfer as I am totally without experience in this area.

I am still looking. This one goes for $8.96 a month.

Richard

Go Back to forum