• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: I Hate Crashes! Please Help!

Share/Bookmark

I Hate Crashes! Please Help!

Back in 1998 I had a utility on my PC called CrashGuard. If a program you were working in decided to crash, CrashGuard jumped in by giving you a chance to save your work before the crash happens. Unfortunately, whoever made it doesn't make anymore.

Does anyone know of a similar utility that does the same thing?

Smile Re: I Hate Crashes! Please Help!

Yea, I think Norton or someone still makes them - but they always caused my computer to crash.
    The best way to avoid crashes, in my opinion, is to keep your registry cleaned, your hard drives optimized and monitored, and an anti-spyware solution (if you are connected to the net). Also, I used to do a low level re-format of my drives and a re-installation of windows every 6 months – but that has become problematic with all the copy-protection methods.
    I almost never have a crash. Here are some utilities that I use:

Zone Alarm
    Spy Sweeper
    System Suite 6 www.v-com.com (Use this to clean registry)
    MemoKit – (monitors memory and defrags RAM)

There are others as well, but with regular maintenance, these should keep you running trouble free. One other thing – Always turn off your computer when not using it for a while – (like bedtime). Never mind what other geeks tell you. Windows starts to self-destruct and leak memory all over itself when left on.

…2112
    "So what if some parts of life are a crap shoot? Get out there and shoot the crap." -- Neil Peart
    Hint:1.6180339887498948482 Φ

Thumbs up Re: I Hate Crashes! Please Help!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian2112
    One other thing – Always turn off your computer when not using it for a while – (like bedtime). Never mind what other geeks tell you. Windows starts to self-destruct and leak memory all over itself when left on.

…2112
    Amen and Halle...or forget it,

I concur completely. Over on the graphics side where renders of an image can take hours or days, and animation can take weeks or months it is often noted that frame return rates (how fast it takes to 'draw' the same thing) deteriorate over time. There are countless reasons, but in that world it's often (mostly?) because Windows doesn't really know how to go back and use something again. It leaves bits and pieces pointing to more bits and pieces and all these bits and pieces lead to an operating system spending more time chasing its' own tail than doing something useful. And in the meantime it recreates the things it should have been reusing, and creates all these nice little bottles of 'tied up' memory that do nothing but sit there as more representavive bits and pieces. Eventually it reaches a point where it can't reliably find itself.

Turn it off. All the way off.

Michael

Re: I Hate Crashes! Please Help!

I also concur with shutting it down all the way during non use. Also, a couple of IT tech's had me try Cyberscrub to absolutely clean the "free space" on my hard drives. There is a 15 day trail on the net you can download and use. It worked very well and my PC flies like it did when I first purchased it. The explanation is all the so called deleted material is actually still there and regardless your PC still pages through when opening applications and such. What I did was created a restore point before using it the first time, then tried it setting only the types of files and or to totally clear. Also, I made a back up file just in case as well. The only out come of completely cleaning the "free" space was an increase in speed! I lost none of my work, applications, or anything pertaining to there of. I used it for fifteen days and now considering purchasing the software.
    Now, I'm not saying this is a cure all for your or anyone else's potential or existing problems. But, it did do exactly what it said it would and my PC is running at top speed right now. Something it hasn't in months.
    Something to look into and consider.
    Also, you can go up on www.microsoft.com and use the free Malicious Software Removal tool to see if anything on your PC is causing problems. Something I do from time to time because you never know what you pick up on the Internet.

Author's note: This article should not be construed as legal advice or as pertaining to specific factual situations.
    Styxx

Also as a general rule if you ever have crashing problems or most computer problems, updates will generally fix these problems.

If you have a manufactured computer (i.e. Dell, Compaq, Sony) you can upgrade all your drivers from their website using the model number on your computer case.

And also along with updating drivers going to Microsoft's website and downloading all the Express Windows Updates can fix many problems as well in conjunction with the drivers.

Also if you have a custom computer you would need to look on the manual or driver disk that came with the motherboard or on the motherboard itself for the manufacturer's name and model to download the latest drivers from the manufacturer's website using the model number. *just some geek info for anyone who wants it*

Thanks, but I do shut down my computer when not in use. I just want to find a utility that will allow me save my work before allowing a crash. Any ideas?

Danny - what are your computer and OS specs?

I have a substantially "off the shelf" PC running windows XP and I have to say (touching lots of wood ) that it's very stable - and I believe that modern Macs are the same.

If your system is crashing a lot then I would think it's higher priority to fix your computer rather than concentrate on disaster recovery - although I'm not saying that you shouldn't have back procedures in place.
    Richard N.

Finale 2003 to 2007 ~ Garritan GPO, JABB & Strad ~ Sonar 6PE ~ Kontakt 2 ~ WinXP Home SP2

Athlon XP 2200 ~ 1.5 Gb RAM ~ M-Audio Sound Card ~ M-Audio 88ES MIDI keyboard ~ Evolution MK-461C

Bach Strad LT16MG, LT36G, 42B + B&H Sovereign Studio Tenor Trombones ~ Holton 181 Bass Trombone ~ Getzen Bass Trumpet ~ Yamaha TR4335G Trumpet ~ B&H Euphonium

Most of the responses here assume that danny7's problems are the result of spyware or malware.

The best preemptive action to protect against data loss from crashes is a good Saving strategy.

I'd like to point to the importance of hitting the "Save" command every five minutes, and using the "Save As" command to save sequential versions of your project every time you make a major change that you think you won't be able to undo. When the whole thing is finished you can delete the intermediary "save as" versions to reclaim disk space.

Then there's the importance of investing in an external FireWire or USB hard drive and performing daily or weekly incremental backups using an automated backup program.

If viruses and spyware really are eating your lunch on a regular basis, you ought to consider moving to the Mac OS X platform, where those kinds of problems have never even existed.

I guess saving my work, which I do every 2 minutes, is my only option. thanks for the help, everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by danny7
    Back in 1998 I had a utility on my PC called CrashGuard. If a program you were working in decided to crash, CrashGuard jumped in by giving you a chance to save your work before the crash happens. Unfortunately, whoever made it doesn't make anymore.

Does anyone know of a similar utility that does the same thing?
    With XP being so steady (it really is hard to crash it), a lot of such utilities have gone to dinosaur heaven...

Danny, what operating system & version are you running, and what program(s) specifically are crashing?

David

Go Back to forum