• Register
  • Help

Topic: Vocal Planet: Questions

Share/Bookmark

Vocal Planet: Questions

I'm thinking of buying Vocal Planet and I was wondering if anyone who owns it could tell me how much 'playable' stuff there is in the package, as a pose to phrases.

I've had a look at the listing over at Ilio: http://www.ilio.com/spectrasonics/vo...i_cdrom_3.html

But it's not always easy to tell which can be played - ie one sample key-stretched up the keyboard or a bunch of one-shots in a single patch.

For example -

The Vocal Percussion section - phrases or playable?

The Throat Singers - phrases or playable?

How much playable stuff is there on Disc 5, the World section? Or is this mostly phrases?

Re: Vocal Planet: Questions

Tim,

I have had Vocal Planet for about 5 years now. Admittedly, there's so much content in there, I probably still haven't digested it all. And being what it is, I only call upon it every so often, so I don't know it completely, inside and out.

But, the vocal percussion is all playable. Every sound is on a separate key, so you can create your own grooves. There are also Groove Control vocal percussion grooves, which import wonderfully into RMX. That alone, might be worth the price of admission.

A large portion of this library is phrases, especially the World Disk, and the R&B disk.

The Jazz disk (ala Take 6 stuff) has a lot of sung phrases, but most of it is sung chromatically. Not the scatting stuff, mind you, but the chordal stuff.

For me personally, the "gem" of this series is the Gospel Disk. There's some killer stuff on there, my absolute favorite being the Young Urban Choir. You won't find that kind of stuff anywhere else, I believe. But a lot of the Gospel choir is playable, OOhs and Ahh's, etc. But there are sung choral phrases as well, much like "Symphony of Voices", if you're familiar with that library.

This library has the content you would expect from Eric Persings... it's all top notch. Whether or not you'll find a lot of uses for it, or just a little, is really impossible to predict.

I will say I'm very, very glad I own it, because when it fits, it fits better than you could imagine.

Hi Jaimo

Thanks very much for replying. Yes, I have RMX (and SOV), and the bonus Groove Control stuff that includes (as far as I know) all the GC stuff from Vocal Planet. I'm currently doing some ethnic/tribal/percussive house stuff and I want some good ambient/off the wall/worldy type voice crys to go over the basic grooves. If you (or anyone) else can suggest any other sample CDs that might fit the bill, that'd be great - or do you still think Vocal Planet would be the number one choice?

Quote Originally Posted by Tim York
    Hi Jaimo
    ... I'm currently doing some ethnic/tribal/percussive house stuff and I want some good ambient/off the wall/worldy type voice crys to go over the basic grooves.
    Then I think Vocal Planet is indeed the way to go. There is a lot, I mean a lot of content on just the World disk alone, and I've always felt that the type of thing you just described is exactly what it would be good for.

I, myself, don't do much stylistically in that realm, which would explain why I haven't used that disk much, but I think someone who does, would really have a good resource from which to draw from.

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tim York

The Vocal Percussion section - phrases or playable?

The Throat Singers - phrases or playable?

How much playable stuff is there on Disc 5, the World section? Or is this mostly phrases?
    Vocal Percussion...playable

Throat Singers and Disc 5...phrases

However, you can pervert this stuff in interesting ways, by either sampler programming or hauling it into the DAW and hacking away. It's a motherlode of material. You could farm from it for a year, and still have not "used it up," so it's a very nice resource.

Thanks Jaimo. I think it's going to be a choiceless decision to buy this CD soon!

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce A. Richardson
    However, you can pervert this stuff in interesting ways, by either sampler programming or hauling it into the DAW and hacking away. It's a motherlode of material. You could farm from it for a year, and still have not "used it up," so it's a very nice resource.
    Absolutely!

And for what it's worth... I've farmed from it for 5 years, and I can tell you, I've maybe made use of 15% of it. and I have used it a lot, on a lot of different projects, in varying ways.

It is indeed "a mother load of material".

Actually, we did include some playable patches in the Tuvan throat singer section.

Big "playable" and multisampled parts of the library would include:

• The Jazz "Take 6" style multisamples
    • Gospel Choir
    • Vocal Percussion (huge)
    • Human Vocal Noise and Human synths
    • Tuvan Throat drones

There's a lot to choose from! :-)

spectrum

Go Back to forum