• Register
  • Help

Topic: midioverlan

Share/Bookmark

midioverlan

Hi all, I was wondering if anyone can give feedback on midioverlan+

I must confess I find it hard to believe that a LAN can handle time-critical music applications. Particularly with the way network protocols check packets as they travel and so on. It just isnt written into the specs to deliver the packets within a certain time.

I am intrigued by it and close to buying it, just wanted to hear anyone\'s experience with it (good or bad) before I make a final decision.

Thanks in advance,

Scott.

Re: midioverlan

It works great. No problems. You might get 1-2ms higher latency than when using a real MIDI interface though.

I am a little confused about when someone would use Midioverlan instead of interfacing by midi in/out cables.

Doesn\'t midioverlan put the load on a single CPU so the advantage is when you need more midi channels, use MidiOverLan but when you need less strain on CPU, use midi cables or am I completely wrong?

I am having problems overloading my CPU and it is causing my computer to automatically reboot with high polyphony so I am considering the next step as buying a second giga machine and connecting them. I\'m still not clear on what the best way is to do this so if anyone has a suggestion or link that explains in novice terms how to connect two computers together, I\'d like to hear about it.

From my limited understanding, it sounds like there are two ways to go:
    1.) Midi in/out cables pass the data and distribute the CPU load. In this case, do I need two installs of gigastudio and gsif soundcard and a copy of all samples on both machines?
    2.) Network two computers and use MidiOverLan to let them talk to each other as one midi computer.

Am I right on this?

I haven\'t tried to measure how high a CPU load using MIDI over LAN causes. I\'ll try and test it ASAP though.

Simon could you give a hand here?

Midi over lan set-up

Ethernet hub:

Sequencing PC in port 2 of hub
    Giga PC in port 3

I set sequencing PC to do Midi to Lan

I set it to LAN-02 since that PC is in port two of my ethernet hub

I browse for the Giga PC to have the sequencing PC \'point\' to the Giga pC on the network.

I go to Giga PC and set it Midi from LAN, set it to LAN 03 and browse to \'point\' the Giga PC toward my sequencing PC.

I set up Giga HArdware routing MIDI IN to LAN-IN 03. I set up Cakewalk track\'s port on sequencing PC track to see the MidiLAN and also set the channel to corresponding with the Giga channel that has the instrument loaded.

I hit the keyboard to hear melodious sounds...and nothing happens. Giga isn\'t even flickering a sign of response.

Any clues what I\'m doing wrong?

Hi Simon, I am wanting to route the audio output of computer 2 and 3 back into computer 1 for mixdown in real-time. Do you think this is possible?

Does midioverlan lock everything tight enough for this or would you need an external midi/smpte device for rock-solid timing?

Thanks all for your replies. Scott.

Originally posted by Marty:
    Simon could you give a hand here?

Midi over lan set-up

Ethernet hub:

Sequencing PC in port 2 of hub
    Giga PC in port 3

I set sequencing PC to do Midi to Lan

I set it to LAN-02 since that PC is in port two of my ethernet hub

I browse for the Giga PC to have the sequencing PC \'point\' to the Giga pC on the network.

I go to Giga PC and set it Midi from LAN, set it to LAN 03 and browse to \'point\' the Giga PC toward my sequencing PC.

I set up Giga HArdware routing MIDI IN to LAN-IN 03. I set up Cakewalk track\'s port on sequencing PC track to see the MidiLAN and also set the channel to corresponding with the Giga channel that has the instrument loaded.

I hit the keyboard to hear melodious sounds...and nothing happens. Giga isn\'t even flickering a sign of response.

Any clues what I\'m doing wrong?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Yes that is definitely wrong. The number on the LAN port has nothing to do with the port of your hub. You need to set up for example LAN OUT 00 on your sequencer machine. Then you should use the corresponding LAN IN 00 on the Giga machine. To make sure it works, disable filtering - I experienced some problems when I had filtering enabled so sometimes my Giga machine wouldnt find my sequencer machine.

So...
    LAN OUT 0--->LAN IN 0
    LAN OUT 1--->LAN IN 1

etc etc.

Originally posted by Scott Cairns:
    Hi Simon, I am wanting to route the audio output of computer 2 and 3 back into computer 1 for mixdown in real-time. Do you think this is possible?

Does midioverlan lock everything tight enough for this or would you need an external midi/smpte device for rock-solid timing?

Thanks all for your replies. Scott.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Sure I do that all the time from two machines using MIDI over LAN + one using a regular MIDI interface. There might be a small difference in MIDI latency between the MIDI interface and the LAN, but nothing I notice when doing orchestral music. If I do 140 bpm techno that has to be supertight, I might notice it.

Thanks Simon! I too am doing Orchestral music. Sounds like the way to go.

Scott.

Go Back to forum