• Register
  • Help

Topic: OT: Good video digitizing solution for Mac platform

Share/Bookmark

OT: Good video digitizing solution for Mac platform

Can anyone suggest a good, and affordable video digitizing solution for Mac? Either internal or external.

Thanks,

Maarten

Re: OT: Good video digitizing solution for Mac platform

Hi Maarten-
    I use the Canopus ADVC-100. It does an excellent job and is effortless to use-just hook it up and it works every time. I selected it after reading a number of reviews of various products.
    check it out here

Hope this helps,
    Rob

Hi, Maarten!

I recently bought a PCI-card called miroMOTION DC30plus from Pinnacle Systems. It is bundled with Adobe Premiere 5.1LE. The card is discontinued, but you should be able to find it second-hand.

I know that several film and TV composers are using this card. I read in \"Sound on sound\" that David Newman is so happy about them that he bought a few extra off eBay.

How about just capturing all the video with a mini-DV camcorder then doing a firewire transfer?

Mark

The 2 most common (and inexpensive) for composers are the Pinnacle DC30 or the Aurora Fuse. The bad thing is that the DC30 is discontinued and the Fuse is not being supported by OSX. So, it seems like Firewire will be the way to go once you start working on OSX. I use the fuse and it\'s great but I\'m not quite sure what I\'m going to use when I migrate to X. Logic just announced Firewire DV support in Logic 6 so I\'ll probably wait and see.

Aurora also makes a card which replaced the Fuse called Igniter. It\'s better because it can lock to video when you digitize, eliminating audio drift on long captures. I believe it will be compatible w/ OSX. I have worked with it with good results at a friend\'s studio (I have the Fuse) I don\'t think it\'s cheap though. Thanks for the SAM updates!

Forgot something... I\'ve heard a lot of stories about folks having sync issues w/ firewire boxes & video. Seems you need to offset the movie start time to get it to play in sync. If you have a PCI slot and can swing it, a dedicated PCI card seems like a better way to go.

Go Back to forum