• Register
  • Help

Topic: downloading midi files for tutorial

Share/Bookmark
    Power Profile User

downloading midi files for tutorial

I'm missing something. I can't for the life of me undersatnd how the midi files in the tutorials are downloaded. I can download the sounds but how do I download the notation. I don't need the sound, I need the notation to work with. This is a complete mystery to me. There is a file especially written for Sonar called GPO-Tutorial.midi. There is also a midi file called Aase's death by Grieg. How do I load these in Sonar or Finale as notation. I hope someone can help. I thought I was at least an intermediate user, but now I'm not sure what I am. Thanks. This is probably something that's so obvious, I'll kick myself.

Re: downloading midi files for tutorial

Quote Originally Posted by Bob De Celle
    I'm missing something. I can't for the life of me undersatnd how the midi files in the tutorials are downloaded. I can download the sounds but how do I download the notation. I don't need the sound, I need the notation to work with. This is a complete mystery to me. There is a file especially written for Sonar called GPO-Tutorial.midi. There is also a midi file called Aase's death by Grieg. How do I load these in Sonar or Finale as notation. I hope someone can help. I thought I was at least an intermediate user, but now I'm not sure what I am. Thanks. This is probably something that's so obvious, I'll kick myself.
    Well, probably it is going to seem silly, but when you have downloaded the midi files, they should have the extension .mid. Then, in Sonar, simply open them as you would any file in Sonar. I have forgotten the details for Finale, but it should be similar. It may be necessary to import rather than open.

Richard

Power Profile User

Thanks for trying to help, but when I go to the tutorial. and click on the midi file all it does is play the file back. What am I missing? It seems to assume that I have it somewhere on my computer.
    The tutorial says "locate the file GPO-Tutorial.mid (insert GPO-tutorial.mid) and open it". Where in the world is the file to locate? Is is at the GPO site?. It certainly isn't at the tutorial. All it does is talk about it and let you hear it.
    I am really missing the point. The other tutorial using the midi file Aase's Death is only sound and there is no file to download. I sorry if I am so thick that I can't make head nor tail of this. It seems that it must be so simple that it's assumed there is no one like me out there.

Bob, I'm not quite clear on exactly what you're talking about as the source for the .mid files -- but let me take a wild stab, and if I've missed the train, at least no harm done.

I'm guessing you're trying to download a .mid file from a web page.

To do that, right-click over the link, and use "Save Target As..." from the context menu. You can then save the file anywhere on your hard drive that's convenient.

Concerning Finale -- use File > Open. At the bottom of the dialogue, where it says file type, select the .MID option. Depending on just what's in the file and how it's set up, Finale will offer suitable options to try to load it into score.

Hope that helps!

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    -

Power Profile User

Thank you. At last! I was successful in downloading and inserting it in Finale. I'm now talking about the tutorial on Aase's Death but I still don't see a link in the other tutorial for Sonar (GPO-Tutorial-mid). I really appreciate your help and if I can impose again, can you give me any advice as how to get the GPO-Tutorial midi file mentioned in the tutorial for Sonar, by Mr. Giangregorio?
    This looks like a marvelous tutorial, and I would really like to work on this. Thanks again.

Power Profile User

I finally figured out how to download and open all of the files I had in question. They were actually in the tutorial. I had to keep reading the tutorial to find the links, and of course "saving the target" was the key. It's a marvelous tutorial and goes into great depth (for me at least). Thank you so much for your help. You hit the problem right smack on the nose. I just have to be a little more patient instead of going bannans which I'm always capable of doing from time to time. Thanks again (until the next time).

Bob, when you find yourself hitting your head on the wall too often and too hard... lol -- post the forum!

Everybody's more than happy to try and help!

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Power Profile User

Quote Originally Posted by etLux
    Bob, when you find yourself hitting your head on the wall too often and too hard... lol -- post the forum!

Everybody's more than happy to try and help!

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    Thanks you once again. I guess I go bananas once in awhile because I concentrate on writing, and when I get thrown by the technology I resent the time that I have to spend learning it. This is not the right attitude, I admit. It's all just a tool, complicated, but a necessary tool. I'm getting better at it, but darn my impatience. I don't know if there is a way to conquer that, and I will go to the forum for help. I find all to be really generous with their advice. Thank you again.
    Bob De Celle

Quote Originally Posted by Bob De Celle
    Thanks you once again. I guess I go bananas once in awhile because I concentrate on writing, and when I get thrown by the technology I resent the time that I have to spend learning it. This is not the right attitude, I admit. It's all just a tool, complicated, but a necessary tool. I'm getting better at it, but darn my impatience. I don't know if there is a way to conquer that, and I will go to the forum for help. I find all to be really generous with their advice. Thank you again.
    Bob De Celle
    I know EXACTLY how you feel, Bob.

I sit down to write, all set to go, and -- bang, some technical issue, two hours shot solving it, and I haven't got a note on paper.

But!

Trust me on this, it gets easier; and if the learning curve is tough at times, the results are overwhelmingly worth it.

Figure I've been at this roughly eleven months, now. And most days, now, when I set down to compose, I do just that. It takes time and patience to gain proficiency... but you get there.

Look at this process as very similar to becoming proficient with an instrument; because, in essence... that's exactly what you are doing.

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Quote Originally Posted by etLux

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    Bob,

You'll find many that people here that have hit there heads on walls too many times. Explains a lot...

Welcome, and don't be shy about asking for help.

Welcome aboard!

Ron Pearl

Go Back to forum