• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Topic: 8 Days of Troubleshooting, No Go

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1

    Exclamation 8 Days of Troubleshooting, No Go

    Hi all,

    I have now changed motherboards, the one I thought was causing the problem had onboard video.

    The new system is the Asus P4P800SE, a Radian 7000 Graphics card, Windows XP, home, service pack 2, giga 3.1 (latest) Frontier Wavecenter PCI sound card with latest drivers, 2 GB ram.

    When I copy and paste instruments from one gig file to another, after a few minutes Windows crashes. I have tried different memory sticks as well. Is there anyone in the San Francisco Bay Area that could help me with this, I will pay someone if they're really an expert at troubleshooting Giga/PC audio systems.

    I am using SATA drives, thinking that might be the problem, but I notice many people are using SATA drives in stable systems with Giga. Is there a large-file transfer problem with WinXP or with SATA or with my settings? I follow all the usual Giga/pro audio guidelines for configuring Windows. I ran Giga 2.54 successfully for 3 years.

    Any help would be appreciated.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    223

    Re: 8 Days of Troubleshooting, No Go

    Can you provide a bit more info on what exactly you're trying to do when the crash happens? I'm not sure what you mean by "pasting one gig file to another". This sounds like just copying large files in Windows -- i.e., these crashes are not happening in the context of the GS application?

    I assume this is not actually what you mean. Could you maybe take a screenshot just before Windows crashes? Or otherwise make it a little more clear what operations you are attempting to perform?

    Also, have you ran through Tascam's checklist for optimizing XP for use with Gigastudio?

    http://www.tascamgiga.com/pdf/pc-optimization-guide.pdf
    Some experts learn more and more about less and less, until at last they know everything there is about nothing at all.

  3. #3

    Re: 8 Days of Troubleshooting, No Go

    I'm reel sorry to hear about your trouble. Here is a link that could interest you http://www.adkproaudio.com/choose.cfm these guys build audio pc for a leaving, you could look at there setup and copy(matherbaords, ect,..) or you could have theme buid one for you and save you the trouble.

    Sorry, can't help you more than this.

    Good luck.

  4. #4

    Re: 8 Days of Troubleshooting, No Go

    When I open the editor with a .gig file, lets say one straight from the manufacturer of the library, I want to reconfigure what instruments are used in that gig file. So I will choose the instruments I want and copy and paste them to a NEW gig file that I create in the editor. This way I assemble a gig file that has only the instruments I need. When I do this a few times, maybe 6 or seven, the editor crashes and windows either restarts or gives me a blue screen. Since I have seen this occur with different OS's (XP home and XP pro) and different motherboards, different memory chips, different graphics cards and, with no sound card or sound card drivers installed, I am now convinced it is a bug in the editor. The only thing I haven't done is install EIDE hard drives rather than SATA. But Giga is compatible with SATA drives, as many users have attested. It's gotta be a bug in the editor. I am guessing, perhaps I am wrong, but I think many of the users here don't use the editor much. Maybe that's why it hasn't been reported before. I've used the editor a lot for years, and depend on it to maximize the number of sounds I can load into a performance at one time.

    Jerry
    www.jerrygerber.com





    Quote Originally Posted by Alewis
    Can you provide a bit more info on what exactly you're trying to do when the crash happens? I'm not sure what you mean by "pasting one gig file to another". This sounds like just copying large files in Windows -- i.e., these crashes are not happening in the context of the GS application?

    I assume this is not actually what you mean. Could you maybe take a screenshot just before Windows crashes? Or otherwise make it a little more clear what operations you are attempting to perform?

    Also, have you ran through Tascam's checklist for optimizing XP for use with Gigastudio?

    http://www.tascamgiga.com/pdf/pc-optimization-guide.pdf

  5. #5

    Re: 8 Days of Troubleshooting, No Go

    Here is how to duplicate the apparent bug in the editor:

    1. Open the editor and load a .gig file with 5-10 instruments.
    2. Open a NEW gig file that has no instruments (don't forget to delete the default instrument that has no regions mapped)
    3. Copy and paste instruments from the first gig file to the new one you created.
    4. Save after every 2 or 3 copy and paste routines.

    Eventually the editor will crash. I've repeated this behavior on different machines, with different motherboards, graphics controllers and memory.
    Please confirm this with me and ask Tascam to address this issue as soon as possible. I've also duplicated the error using both WinXP home and WinXP pro.

    p.s. I've configured Windows many times for digital audio and can report all of the recommended tweaks have been implemented.

    Jerry Gerber

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    223

    Re: 8 Days of Troubleshooting, No Go

    Since I happen to work in the field of software testing, thanks for the steps to reproduce. I'll give it a shot as soon as I can and report back on the results.
    Some experts learn more and more about less and less, until at last they know everything there is about nothing at all.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    St. John's NL
    Posts
    1,040

    Re: 8 Days of Troubleshooting, No Go

    Jerry,
    Think real hard: Is there ANYTHING else that these other systems you've crashed have in common other than SATA drives?? Do they all have 2 gigs of RAM (you know what I'm getting at here, I'm sure....) ?Have you tried my suggestion of 1.5 gigs of RAM? I can't get my computer to crash using your method. I have crashed the editor many times, in many ways. At one point I was sure it was programmed to crash every 4 saves. I have not, however crashed it once since combining the latest update with 1.5 gigs of RAM (That 1 gig that worked on its own, plus 512 from another gig that worked on its own, but not together with the whole other gig.)
    Please tell me you have the latest update!!!



    Quote Originally Posted by jerrygerber
    When I open the editor with a .gig file, lets say one straight from the manufacturer of the library, I want to reconfigure what instruments are used in that gig file. So I will choose the instruments I want and copy and paste them to a NEW gig file that I create in the editor. This way I assemble a gig file that has only the instruments I need. When I do this a few times, maybe 6 or seven, the editor crashes and windows either restarts or gives me a blue screen. Since I have seen this occur with different OS's (XP home and XP pro) and different motherboards, different memory chips, different graphics cards and, with no sound card or sound card drivers installed, I am now convinced it is a bug in the editor. The only thing I haven't done is install EIDE hard drives rather than SATA. But Giga is compatible with SATA drives, as many users have attested. It's gotta be a bug in the editor. I am guessing, perhaps I am wrong, but I think many of the users here don't use the editor much. Maybe that's why it hasn't been reported before. I've used the editor a lot for years, and depend on it to maximize the number of sounds I can load into a performance at one time.

    Jerry
    www.jerrygerber.com

  8. #8

    Re: 8 Days of Troubleshooting, No Go

    Uh, yes belbin, the editor. If you follow the thread

    http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...t=systems+work

    you'll immediately see there are people using 2gigs of mem and more with stable systems. The question is, how are they using the editor if they're using it? You're settling for a lesser amount than Giga is supposed to be able to address. The bug is in the editor, most likely. Gigastudio is advertised to work with 2gb of ram. I need this much memory for my orchestrations, I could actually use more, but would need a third computer to run Giga. So, if it is advertised to run with 2gb, and the editor crashes with 2gb, and you resolved it for yourself with 1.5gb, the bug is still in the editor. The workaround for me will probably go something like this: I will make the new gig files on the articulations I will use the most, leaving some midi numbers empty for each instrument so as to add more articulations later if possible. When I copy and paste instruments, I will have to save and leave the editor every couple of saves. Ugly, I know, but once I get my template instruments I won't use the editor nearly as frequently, and, if this works, I now have 2gigs of memory. I wonder if those who have 2 or more gigs are using the editor. Its a simple matter: if 10 people crash on 10 different systems it will behoove Tascam to issue a bugfix very soon.

    Or perhaps someone will know or discover a windows setting that may help. I have the latest update, but I've encountered the bug both with the program that shipped on the original disc, probably 3.0something, and 3.12, which exhibits the same behavior. So its crossing versions as well.

    Jerry Gerber



    Quote Originally Posted by belbin
    Jerry,
    Think real hard: Is there ANYTHING else that these other systems you've crashed have in common other than SATA drives?? Do they all have 2 gigs of RAM (you know what I'm getting at here, I'm sure....) ?Have you tried my suggestion of 1.5 gigs of RAM? I can't get my computer to crash using your method. I have crashed the editor many times, in many ways. At one point I was sure it was programmed to crash every 4 saves. I have not, however crashed it once since combining the latest update with 1.5 gigs of RAM (That 1 gig that worked on its own, plus 512 from another gig that worked on its own, but not together with the whole other gig.)
    Please tell me you have the latest update!!!

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    St. John's NL
    Posts
    1,040

    Re: 8 Days of Troubleshooting, No Go

    "Save and leave the editor....."

    Well enjoy that. And don't hold your breath for that update. It's not coming, because it's not needed.

    Your tone is one of irritation...one could say that you're "bugged" (so sorry for that, I couldn't resist ) . I'm just trying, as someone who's done more than 8 days of troubleshooting, to help, though I'm no expert.

    I'd also point out that I'm not comprimising in any way. 1.5 works better for me on all fronts than 2, as I explained. Giga can only address about 1.2 (???-I think someone over at the VSL forum got to 1.6 w/o the virtual PC trick), so who needs 2 for sample loading that can't happen? Sure it'd be nice to have it for other stuff, but....(Crash Bang Boom...).
    You point out that there are those w/2gigs using the editor successfully. You also say that the editor is buggy. Which is it? I'd take another look at those guys over there with the 2 gigs, using the editor to its fullest. Then I'd stop behooving tascam for a bug fix.

    Best of Luck,
    Belbin

  10. #10

    Re: 8 Days of Troubleshooting, No Go

    Belbin,

    I am not annoyed with you that you are trying to help. I am annoyed that your tone is such that you sound like you can't believe there is a bug in the editor.

    Let me tell you a story. Five years ago, when I first started with Gigasampler, I was one of the first composers to identify the "2 minute click bug". This bug caused Gigasampler, and later Gigastudio versions earlier than around 2.0 to emit an audio click every 2 minutes. Funny thing was, this bug only was reported on a small number of Windows 98SE machines, I was not the only one to report it. It took Nemesys (owner of Giga before Tascam) about a year to find the bug and issue a fix. The fix worked and the problem never returned.

    Your reasoning that "because others are using it with 2 gb proves there is no bug in the editor" is faulty. Sorry, I am not trying to pick on you, that isn't my intention. I just loaded Giga on a THIRD computer and when I tried to launch the editor it crashed Windows. Twice. And the computer I loaded it on has ONE gigabyte of memory.

    Where did you hear that Giga can only address 1.2 gb of memory? That is news to me. In fact, if you go to the Tascam site and go to Gigastudio support/registration, there is a FAQ regarding the ideal computer setup to run giga, and guess what? Tascam recommends TWO gigabytes. Why would the maker of the software recommend 2 gb for a powerful system if the program could not address it?

    Jerry Gerber


    Quote Originally Posted by belbin
    "Save and leave the editor....."

    Well enjoy that. And don't hold your breath for that update. It's not coming, because it's not needed.

    Your tone is one of irritation...one could say that you're "bugged" (so sorry for that, I couldn't resist ) . I'm just trying, as someone who's done more than 8 days of troubleshooting, to help, though I'm no expert.

    I'd also point out that I'm not comprimising in any way. 1.5 works better for me on all fronts than 2, as I explained. Giga can only address about 1.2 (???-I think someone over at the VSL forum got to 1.6 w/o the virtual PC trick), so who needs 2 for sample loading that can't happen? Sure it'd be nice to have it for other stuff, but....(Crash Bang Boom...).
    You point out that there are those w/2gigs using the editor successfully. You also say that the editor is buggy. Which is it? I'd take another look at those guys over there with the 2 gigs, using the editor to its fullest. Then I'd stop behooving tascam for a bug fix.

    Best of Luck,
    Belbin

Go Back to forum

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •