• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: volume of solo violin in tutorial

Share/Bookmark
    Power Profile User

volume of solo violin in tutorial

In the tutorial for Sonar there is a solo violin. I understand that the volume is controlled by the mod wheel, but after the piece is played why does it go to position zero again. Every time I want to play the tutorial back, the violin's volume has to be set again with mod wheel. Is there any way to keep it at a desired volume?

Re: volume of solo violin in tutorial

Bob,
    If you are using S4 or S5, choose the "Options | Project..." menu selection, click on the "Midi Out" tab and uncheck "Zero Controllers When Play Stops" option.
    Bill

Power Profile User

Quote Originally Posted by billp
    Bob,
    If you are using S4 or S5, choose the "Options | Project..." menu selection, click on the "Midi Out" tab and uncheck "Zero Controllers When Play Stops" option.

Thanks, I understand what you say, but since I first wrote the question, I see that when I record the violin, even though it goes back to zero when playback is stopped, the modwheel follows the way I had manipulated it while the violin was playing. I hope you can understand what I wrote. I find it very difficult to verbalize in this technology, especially with all the strange terminology
    I have S4. Should I leave that "Zero Controllers" unchecked anyway, or only if I don't record the track?

even though it goes back to zero when playback is stopped, the modwheel follows the way I had manipulated it while the violin was playing...I hope you can understand what I wrote
    I hope so too!! It's not that easy to write about....

There are two controller behaviors that are controlled on the "Midi Out" tab.

The first is the one I already described. The second is the "searchback" behavior, where SONAR "searches back" to find the most recent previous setting for the controller when you start play: "Patch/Controller Searchback Before Play Starts".

If you have "Zero Controllers When Play Stops" checked, the controller will go to zero on stop. If you then rewind and play or resume play from where you are, AND you have the "searchback" option set (and you should), SONAR will seach backwards for the CC#1 value at or immediately preceding your current position when you start play, and, starting with that value, will then track to the CC#1's that you have recorded as play proceeds.

I leave the "Zero Controllers..." option unchecked, because I often stop and then play, tweak, or scrub notes and passages. If you leave the option on so that the wheel goes to zero on stop, the instrument(s) will be barely audible and you will not be able the hear when you scrub or edit the notes.

I recommend:
    "Zero controllers..." unchecked
    "Searchback" checked.
    Bill

Power Profile User

. Thank you BillP. You don't seem to have a problem writing about it. Even I can understand your explanation, and that's a feat, believe me.
    I got so messed up last night I was ready to give up on Sonar and just concentrate on Finale. I can handle GPO in Finale but I miss all the instruments that are in the full GPO. Hopefully I can get through this tutorial about Sonar using the GPO, but there are items mentioned in the tutorial that I don't see at all like Aux 1,2 and 3 or the GPO ambience.
    I should be addressing a lot of this to Sonar, but they've changed the way to emailing them (another thing to keep me from writing down notes-musical that is). So much time is used up on a bunch of stuff that is only learned by hit or miss.
    I just wanted to get back to you and to thank you for that excellent explanation.
    Bob De Celle

Quote Originally Posted by Bob De Celle
    . Thank you BillP. You don't seem to have a problem writing about it. Even I can understand your explanation, and that's a feat, believe me.
    I got so messed up last night I was ready to give up on Sonar and just concentrate on Finale. I can handle GPO in Finale but I miss all the instruments that are in the full GPO. Hopefully I can get through this tutorial about Sonar using the GPO, but there are items mentioned in the tutorial that I don't see at all like Aux 1,2 and 3 or the GPO ambience.
    I should be addressing a lot of this to Sonar, but they've changed the way to emailing them (another thing to keep me from writing down notes-musical that is). So much time is used up on a bunch of stuff that is only learned by hit or miss.
    I just wanted to get back to you and to thank you for that excellent explanation.
    Bob De Celle
    Bob,

You can use full GPO in Finale 2006--just copy (NOT move) the file called PersonalOrchestraVST.dll from its current location (probably C:\program files\Garritan Personal Orchestra\VST to C:\Program Files\Finale 2006\FinaleVST. Works for me!
    If you have the latest version of the GPO library, you should see a set of instruments in full GPO called "9. Notation." Use those in Finale, because they have the unified keyswitches and the CC68 legato in the woodwinds & brasses.
    Jim
    Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    N9EJR
    Indianapolis Brass Choir
    All Your Bass Sus&Short Are Belong to Us.

Power Profile User

I did finally add the full GPO to Finale but I can't find anything like "9 Notation".
    When i open up the Native Instruments VST setup I just see Garritan Personal Orchestra and GPO Finale, nothing like "9 notation"
    In the setup wizard there is listed, Garritan Personal Orchestra, Garritan Person Orchestra for Finale (not GPO Finale) and SmartMusic SoftSynth.
    Is the Garritan Personal orchestra ffor Finale the "9 notation" you mention. This stuff is really agravating.

I did finally add the full GPO to Finale but I can't find anything like "9 Notation".
    When i open up the Native Instruments VST setup I just see Garritan Personal Orchestra and GPO Finale, nothing like "9 notation"
    In the setup wizard there is listed, Garritan Personal Orchestra, Garritan Person Orchestra for Finale (not GPO Finale) and SmartMusic SoftSynth.
    Is the Garritan Personal orchestra ffor Finale the "9 notation" you mention. This stuff is really agravating.
    Open up one of the Kontakt players and hit LOAD. That's where you'll see "9. Notation." Those instruments will be Finale-friendly out of the box.

Aggravating? Only sometimes . A different mode of thinking and working? To some extent. Worth the investment of time to learn? Absolutely!

Patience ...if I can get it, so can you!
    Jim
    Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    N9EJR
    Indianapolis Brass Choir

Power Profile User

I hit load and all I see is "remove instrument", "remove all", "dry", "wet", and "multi". I don't see anything that says 9 notation. I have a feeling that what I read in the setup wizard (Garritan Personal Orchestra for Finale) might be the same thing. Garritan Personal Orchestra is listed too but not with the adding of the word Finale. I think it is telling me to use those particular instruments instead of Garritan Personal Orchestra. The listing of the instruments is quite different. I want to make it clear that I'm not talking about Finale GPO.
    Finale emailed me a file to insert into the VST folder of Finale06 and I think that is where "Garritan Personal Orchestra for Finale" came from. However those instrument don't show up in the VST setup editor, only FinaleGPO and Garritan Personal orchestra. That's the best I can do in explaining it. Maybe the way I'm writing it show my confusion.

I hit load and all I see is "remove instrument", "remove all", "dry", "wet", and "multi". I don't see anything that says 9 notation. I have a feeling that what I read in the setup wizard (Garritan Personal Orchestra for Finale) might be the same thing. Garritan Personal Orchestra is listed too but not with the adding of the word Finale. I think it is telling me to use those particular instruments instead of Garritan Personal Orchestra. The listing of the instruments is quite different. I want to make it clear that I'm not talking about Finale GPO.
    Finale emailed me a file to insert into the VST folder of Finale06 and I think that is where "Garritan Personal Orchestra for Finale" came from. However those instrument don't show up in the VST setup editor, only FinaleGPO and Garritan Personal orchestra. That's the best I can do in explaining it. Maybe the way I'm writing it show my confusion.
    Bob,

Let's make sure that you have the latest version of everything.

1. Finale 2006 C. You should have the C updater. If you don't, please go to MakeMusic.com, download it and install it.

2. GPO. Open an GPO Kontakt Player and click on the Kontakt logo in the upper left. A window should pop up and you should see some info about your player and GPO.

Next to the picture of the orchestra you should see software: 1.1.8.003 and Library: 2.0. If your numbers are below these, you don't have the latest GPO

Let's find out what you have and then we can proceed. I have the numbers above and all is well with Finale plus Finale GPO, Full GPO, and Jazz & Big Band.

When you installed GPO, did you install the notation set?

Jim
    Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    N9EJR
    Indianapolis Brass Choir

Go Back to forum