• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Not usaully heard.

Not usaully heard.

Hi Gang,

Been some time since I've posted a piece so I whipped together this old piano piece of mine I wrote bout 15 years ago. I played it live using Garritan Steinway piano on my Studiologic SL-990 XP

As with my other piano pieces I left some of the oops in there to keep the human factor of live performance.

The style is a little bit dated but is still listenable. ( Like all the clasical we write is not dated. )

Tell me what you think.

Sister's spell

Dedicated to my sister. She inspired the piece.

I just MP3'd a live version of the piece
    Sisters spell
    (The Nut )

Re: Not usaully heard.

I wish that I could play piano like that...<<<sniff>>> I'm a guitarist not a pianist. Mind you I will have to learn at least rudimentory skills when I start college this fall. I can only hope that I get half that skill, but you know what they say about old dogs and new tricks...

Anyway, you need to put stuff on here more often, because that was really nice...<<<sniff>>>> There I go again!

Thanks you for sharing,

Styles other than Disco don't get "dated", 88... lol -- only people's ears do.

This is a lovely, romantic piece... perfect listening in the contemplative dark of the night - and well played (including the clams, which only add to it, I think -- I usually call 'em improvised grace notes, by the way).

Rather than relegating this to dust bin status, my gosh, I do believe I'd urge you write another half dozen along a similar vein and -- it would make quite a fine piano album.

Most enjoyable!

Don't think it sounds dated either!

What a lovely piece for your sister! It's a very beautiful composition.

Glad you kept the "oops"!! Loved it!! Ain't being human just grand?!?!?!?

Music and humor are healthy for the soul.

What beautiful playing! And what beautiful writing! I love the style.

Great piece! I only wish it lasted longer...
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

It sounds inspired by the Romantics… which is a fine style to be dated with.!

But If you feel it's too dated...A way to modernize it may be to slow it down here and there at certain points… Today's modern scores (film) is all about mood and slow buildup.
    Perhaps add a low string.

Still, it stands strong on it's own!

Nice composition!

That was really fun. It would really sound cool as an orchestra piece. ...and that's why I stopped pursuing the piano professionally. I could never hear the piano as a timbre in and of itself. I kept hearing violins and woodwinds in there, thinking it was the sketch pad for what would ultimately make it to an ensemble. Anway, I really like the piece. Thanks for sharing!

That's nice! You really DO have eighty-eight fingers.

I agree with some of the others that it would sound even better with strings.

Thanks for posting your beautiful work.

Larry G. Alexander

Well thanks for all the responses.

I would set your goal of piano skill higher than half of mine or all you'll be able to play is Mary had a little lamb with 7 fingers.
    Good luck at college this fall. I will try to put stuff up more often but it is hard playing my keyboard as compared to a real piano. I have a tendency to kinda half pedal my pieces to only get certain strings to hold. It is hard to explain but is light and day between an electric key board and the real thing.
    Because my midi keyboard is so much more sensitive to pressure I get more double notes( side by side) then on a real piano. This kinda drives me nuts so I don't post much live piano music. I guess I am too sloppy of a player for it.

That is so funny that the only style that gets dated is Disco. How true it is!
    I think that much of my music is good for listening to in the dark of night. It's funny how most of my music happens at those late hours. This lends to my music putting the listener to sleep. When I try writing stuff that is lively and fun it is usually a train wreck that consumes all it's passengers as well as three blocks of houses to each side of the track. I can write a second movement but forget it on the first and last !

Thank you for the compliment. I came up with this piece when my sister was talking to me and I just happened to play the first seven notes of the main melody. I kept playing it unconsciously as we talked and then it hit me and I wrote it all out in about 2 hours. Boy those were the days to be young and full of new ideas.

Sorry I couldn't make it longer for ya. It is a bit short being that it is under the standard 3:00 min. As you can tell I like melody that is why I like your stuff so much.

jsp2 and jmc

Thanks for the listen. I do think that some strings would go in there. I have an other piece that every time I play it I can hear a nice cello line but just haven't gotten around to doing it. I find that most the time when I try changing over one of my dedicated piano pieces it comes out like junk. I have one piece that I orchestrated from piano and it just doesn't have that same charm. Maybe when I get some time I will post the original and then the orchestrated version for ya.

I am considering giving your piano piece a try that you put out there for us. I just don't know if I could do it justice sense it is so far out of my style. Having 88 fingers gets in the way of fast stuff with scales and such
    Glad you liked it and your welcome.

Any way I think I will go and dig up that orchestrated piano work of mine and see if it is worth posting.
    Thanks for the responses fellas I will see if I can record a few more worthy pieces.
    (The Nut )

Your piano skills are definately better than mine and this is a beautiful piece. What a nice thing to do for you sister. I enjoyed it!

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast