• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 25

Topic: Life After Academia (well, almost)

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    464

    Life After Academia (well, almost)

    So i recently finished the last piece of Academic music i'll ever have to write...not that i won't write academically in the future, it's just i won't be required to - because i'm finally graduating in may!...it was a duet for two very exceptional players i know - for clarinet and euphonium (i called it clariphonium ) and i pretty much pulled out all the stops - pitch sets, aleatory, special techniques (some very special), etc. - basically, it was so dark and psychotic that when i finished it, i felt i really needed to balance myself by writing something totally opposite...so i present:

    After Academia

    full of grandiose movie music influence! (i think)

  2. #2

    Re: Life After Academia (well, almost)

    Grandiose movie influence indeed!

    This was good...very, very good!!

    There's so many overlapping ideas here. And each segment blends itself nicely into the other.

    It's also rendered quite well….technically speaking.
    The instruments have a nice flow … what samples did you use?

    I think you will have a bright future for film work… or any medium.!
    Terrific work Josh



    ~jeff

  3. #3

    Re: Life After Academia (well, almost)

    Great writing! I especially enjoy the harmonious nature of the piece. Personally, I think there is just a wee bit too much reverb... but just my subjective ears Great orchestration, I like the ending!

    Congratulations on your upcoming graduation!
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

  4. #4

    Re: Life After Academia (well, almost)

    Surviving the halls of academe with your own musical voice and sensibilities intact is something of an acheivement, Josh! Congratulations. I believe you've succeeded at this... and taken with you much worthwhile skill and experience.

    Fine work on this! I've listened through it several times. Your orchestration is excellent -- and your ability to blend and build seamless transitions -- one of the most difficult of tasks -- is well honed and highly effective.

    The one comment I might make compositionally is that this piece left me with a sense of expectancy, as though it were an overture to greater realms. It's certainly a goldmine for development (in my recall, you never lack for interesting thematic material)... Is this leading us on to higher plains?

    Whatever the case, very strong work, Josh, in every regard; and an admirable composition. I believe as fact that, soon to burst the surly bonds of scholasticism, we shall all be hearing much of great merit from you.

    All my best,

    David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    .

  5. #5

    Re: Life After Academia (well, almost)

    Really Great!--Josh.

    Enjoyed everything about this piece and isn't it nice to finally get to do your own thing instead of what your profs want (in academia)?

    So, now you are free. Free to do what you want and what you want to write. I know you will be successful because you have a good talent for composition. You also use your composition tools very well.

    Congrats, Josh on accomplishing the first step on your journey--A music degree. Now, go for it!

    If I had it to do again, I would have matriculated through the Phd degree, gotton myself placed in a good institution of higher learning and then delved into all form of music and performance. All, while enjoying the academic atmosphere and the great salaries that go with it.

    I'm not complaining because things worked out well for me, but I feel now that I could have done more for myself and OTHER people (the students).

    Great job, Josh.

    Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    464

    Re: Life After Academia (well, almost)

    Jeff - as always, thanks very much for lending me an ear or two!...this is all GPO - oh, duh, you probably know that...if i can remember - normal flutes, oboe2, clar., basson2, normal horns plus horn overlay for the 2 unison parts (1:32, 2:36), 2 trumpets (solos 1&2), 2 tenor trombones, bass trombone, tuba1 (i think), perc., harp lite, and for the strings - i added a solo string to each section...

    thanks for your kind comments

    josh

    Quote Originally Posted by jsp2
    Grandiose movie influence indeed!

    This was good...very, very good!!

    There's so many overlapping ideas here. And each segment blends itself nicely into the other.

    It's also rendered quite well….technically speaking.
    The instruments have a nice flow … what samples did you use?

    I think you will have a bright future for film work… or any medium.!
    Terrific work Josh



    ~jeff

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    464

    Re: Life After Academia (well, almost)

    Quote Originally Posted by SeanHannifin
    Great writing! I especially enjoy the harmonious nature of the piece. Personally, I think there is just a wee bit too much reverb... but just my subjective ears Great orchestration, I like the ending!

    Congratulations on your upcoming graduation!
    sean - funny, i was thinking the opposite in terms of reverb - so i think that cancels us both out! thanks for listening, sir!

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    464

    Re: Life After Academia (well, almost)

    Quote Originally Posted by etLux
    Surviving the halls of academe with your own musical voice and sensibilities intact is something of an acheivement, Josh! Congratulations. I believe you've succeeded at this... and taken with you much worthwhile skill and experience.

    Fine work on this! I've listened through it several times. Your orchestration is excellent -- and your ability to blend and build seamless transitions -- one of the most difficult of tasks -- is well honed and highly effective.

    The one comment I might make compositionally is that this piece left me with a sense of expectancy, as though it were an overture to greater realms. It's certainly a goldmine for development (in my recall, you never lack for interesting thematic material)... Is this leading us on to higher plains?

    Whatever the case, very strong work, Josh, in every regard; and an admirable composition. I believe as fact that, soon to burst the surly bonds of scholasticism, we shall all be hearing much of great merit from you.

    All my best,

    David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    .
    David - i'm amazed i even made it to the end - after transferring once and taking a year and a half off (originally with the intent to never return) - it's been a hell of a ride...but i have learned a lot with all those years of study...

    as far as this piece - even though i haven't really thought about it, i'm open to developing it more, although movie-type music isn't necessarily developed, just repeated with variation (thanks Holst!!!)...do you think it should be expanded internally, or just added to from the end? actually, i like the idea of accepting your challenge

    like always, your invaluable comments mean a lot and i very much appreciate it...so when will we be hearing the complete "Jupiter"??

    Josh

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    464

    Re: Life After Academia (well, almost)

    Quote Originally Posted by Rhap2
    Really Great!--Josh.

    Enjoyed everything about this piece and isn't it nice to finally get to do your own thing instead of what your profs want (in academia)?

    So, now you are free. Free to do what you want and what you want to write. I know you will be successful because you have a good talent for composition. You also use your composition tools very well.

    Congrats, Josh on accomplishing the first step on your journey--A music degree. Now, go for it!

    If I had it to do again, I would have matriculated through the Phd degree, gotton myself placed in a good institution of higher learning and then delved into all form of music and performance. All, while enjoying the academic atmosphere and the great salaries that go with it.

    I'm not complaining because things worked out well for me, but I feel now that I could have done more for myself and OTHER people (the students).

    Great job, Josh.

    Jack

    Jack - it is very nice to write anything i want...but i suppose this sort of luxury is much more appreciated (and much better executed) after going through the college curriculum - where my music was critiqued each week by a very discerning eye and ear...i may one day decided to return for higher degrees, but that decision won't be made for a long time (but ya never know)...for now, as you say, i will be going for it...

    thanks very much for your comments

  10. #10

    Re: Life After Academia (well, almost)

    Quote Originally Posted by Josh
    David - i'm amazed i even made it to the end - after transferring once and taking a year and a half off (originally with the intent to never return) - it's been a hell of a ride...but i have learned a lot with all those years of study...

    as far as this piece - even though i haven't really thought about it, i'm open to developing it more, although movie-type music isn't necessarily developed, just repeated with variation (thanks Holst!!!)...do you think it should be expanded internally, or just added to from the end? actually, i like the idea of accepting your challenge

    like always, your invaluable comments mean a lot and i very much appreciate it...so when will we be hearing the complete "Jupiter"??

    Josh
    Jokes first: At my current rate of production, I believe the 'Jupiter' project should be completed at approximately the same time as we land tourists on that planet.

    To your piece...

    Please understand that, with compositional skills and abilities of your caliber, I wouldn't even think of telling you what to do.

    But I will comment on how I might approach this material, were it mine.

    I believe perhaps I'd keep it largely as it stands, but build it out just somewhat to bring out some of the thematic and subthematic material a little more obviously... more in the spirit of an overture... so that they would prepare a listener more clearly for use of the material in latter movements.

    I emphasize that the piece stands as it is. Such changes would only be seemly were it to be truly intended as an overture.

    From there, Josh, it's open season. You've got the skills to go where you will.

    For my part, I think perhaps I would consider taking it down the path of a modified symphony structure. From the basal matter, I could see an Overture, Movement I., Movement II., Movement III. sort of scaffold working very well... with the center movement doubling functionality as both the adagio and the scherzo. With care, again based on the material, I think this could culminate in a well balanced and satisfying symphony.

    But hey, like I said... it's your pen!

    David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    .

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •