• Register
  • Help

Topic: Foot controllers

Share/Bookmark

Foot controllers

Just recieved my copy of the strad and noticed the need for an expression pedal. My controller has 4 inputs for 4 controllers. Any benefit from having more foot controllers than just for 'expression'?

Got to pick up one - could just as easily pick up 3 or 4 if it will add to the library.

Thanks for your feedback.

Rob
    Rob Elliott Music
    www.robelliottmusic.com

Re: Foot controllers

Looks like I may have a nice solution. My Yamaha P-300 piano/controller (as I said), beside two wheel controllers has four foot controller inputs.

I just noticed that they are assignable to all CC's PLUS - aftertouch.

Going to have to learn how to 'drive' with a clutch and use two feet

#1 FC Expression

#2 FC Aftertouch (vib intensity)

Wheel #1 Pitch bend

Wheel #2 Modulation (vibrato)

Pick up a couple pedals tonight. Word of advice to those ordering it - you definitely want as much expression control as possible. That were this instrument shines IMHO (and saves time). I am sure I'll sound like a first year violine student for a couple days getting use to proper keyswitches, FC, mod wheels (I'll probably have to give up chewing gum while I write )

Rob
    Rob Elliott Music
    www.robelliottmusic.com

Rob,

Please consider buying two expression pedals, instead of just one. You may assign the right pedal to cc#11 (expression) and the left to cc#1 (vibrato intensity). Then assign the mod wheel to channel aftertouch (vibrato rate).

This corresponds to my setup. Advantages are:

1) vibrato rate is much more precisely controlled by the mod wheel.
    2) no pain in your fingers during long performances.
    3) your left hand is more often free to act on the pitchwheel. It may even (sparingly) leave the keyboard, to caress your wife (girlfriend, pet or teddy bear). This will be very appreciated.

Giorgio

Quote Originally Posted by Giorgio Tommasini
    Rob,

Please consider buying two expression pedals, instead of just one. You may assign the right pedal to cc#11 (expression) and the left to cc#1 (vibrato intensity). Then assign the mod wheel to channel aftertouch (vibrato rate).

This corresponds to my setup. Advantages are:

1) vibrato rate is much more precisely controlled by the mod wheel.
    2) no pain in your fingers during long performances.
    3) your left hand is more often free to act on the pitchwheel. It may even (sparingly) leave the keyboard, to caress your wife (girlfriend, pet or teddy bear). This will be very appreciated.

Giorgio
    Thanks Giorgio.
    Rob Elliott Music
    www.robelliottmusic.com

I don't have a pedal, but my Alesis keyboard has four MIDI controller sliders in addition to the mod wheel and the pitch bend. I've never assigned them before, but luckily, it wasn't too hard to figure out, even without the manual at hand. I even added in two controllers for JABB while I was at it!

Now I have from right to left: pitch bend, mod wheel, strad level, vibrato speed, JABB tpt plunger mute, JABB brass growls.

Fun stuff!
    - Jamie Kowalski

All Hands Music - Kowalski on the web
    The Ear Is Always Correct - Writings on composition

Go Back to forum