• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Garritan Announces GPO Refill for Reason

Share/Bookmark

Garritan Announces GPO Refill for Reason

Garritan Announces
    Garritan Personal Orchestra Refill for Reason
    NAMM Winter 2006, Anaheim, CA, January 2006 — Garritan, a leading developer of music soundware, is pleased to announce that a special version of the Garritan Personal Orchestra instrument library will be available for the Propellerhead Reason product. The library is a Reason Refill sample based instrument library for all versions of Propellerhead's Reason, and includes over 180 instrument patches for the Garritan Personal Orchestra instrument library.

Reason is a virtual studio rack with all the tools and instruments needed create music from beginning to end. It's a complete music system. Reason features synthesizers, samplers, drum machine, loop players, professional mastering tools, mixer, vocoder, effects, pattern sequencer and more. Reason is an infinitely expandable music workstation on a CD-ROM, complete with its own real-time sequencer. Refills provide complete instruments for the Reason music creation system.

The GPO Refill is a light version of the Garritan Personal Orchestra that takes special advantage of the capabilities of the all-in-one environment of Reason, delivering sounds possibilities not available to owners of other versions of GPO. Reason supports a wide range of genre music, and the GPORefill expands thecomposer working palate with realistic orchestral instruments that has the signature GPO sound. From Hop-Hop to Euro-Technical to Dance to hard edged Rock, the GPORefill will compliment the sound any creation in any genre.

Doyle Donehoo did the programming for the GPO Refill. Pricing and availability will be posted soon.

Re: Garritan Announces GPO Refill for Reason

Congrats, Gary!

The juggernaut rolls on!

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Will this require Reason 3, or can I use it in 2.5?
    Dan Powers
    www.danielpowers.info

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

Great news! I would enjoy a lot being able to use the GPO sounds within Reason. I know that the NN-XT is not the Kontakt sampler, but I'd be great to know exactly what features are and aren't available in this library. If the feature set is similar to GPO's, I'd probably end up using mostly this.

Also, I hope there's an upgrade price for current GPO owners.

I can hardly wait!

Talking Re: Garritan Announces GPO Refill for Reason

I always thought that GPO would let you do anything with an orchestra within reason - now it can be taken literally!

Houston Haynes - Titan Line Music

Arrow Re: Garritan Announces GPO Refill for Reason

Hey Reason users. I am the person responsible for creating the Reason version of GPO. I will start off answering a few questions that came up and offering up a song done entirely within Reason using the factory sounds and the GPO Refill.

First of all, the GPO-L Refill is a "lite" version of GPO: Reason just does not have a sample based instrument player to do near what Kontakt does. Still, it is a small footprint library (on the HDU) that delivers a lot of bang per buck. Check out the song below and hear for yourself.

"Will this require Reason 3, or can I use it in 2.5?"

I knew there are a lot of users out there that do not have Reason 3, so I duplicated all the Reason Combinator patches as song files with the same instruments. To get the most out GPO-L, you should have Reason 3, which is a real leap beyond Reason 2.x.

"I hope there's an upgrade price for current GPO owners."

The price of the GPO-L Refill will be so low you will think you are getting an upgrade price!

So far, I see no more questions, so here is a demo song "Holiday on Balar Isle":
    http://www.sierra-trails.com/radarmusiclinks/RM_GPO%20L%20Holiday%20on%20Balar%20Isle.mp3
    As seen on my Web Page:
    http://www.sierra-trails.com/radarmusiclinks/radarmusicindex.htm

NOTE: If you are wondering where on earth is Balar Isle, here is the short answer. Actually, Balar Isle was located in Middle Earth during the First Age, one of the last refuges of the elves after being defeated by Morgoth (Sauron of Lord of the Rings was merely a servant of Morgoth, and the War of the Rings was a minor battle). So the song is a bit tongue in cheek with the idea of the "vacationing" elves in exile on Balar Isle.
    Doyle W. Donehoo, Composer
    Radar Music
    www.doylewdonehoo.com

Well, Doyle, since you are so keen to answer our questions I guess I'll drop some more Kidding aside, thanks for taking the time to talk about the product.

I agree with you that NN-XT is no Kontakt. However, as good as the GPO sounds are, I believe the real power of GPO is the realism achieved by its "playability" (mod wheel, pedal, other controllers) and ability to create ensembles (ensemble player 1, 2, etc). The last update to GPO brought a lot of new controllers to the library. How much of this "playability" is going to be available in Reason?

I am very excited about running GPO in Reason, if the stuff we know and love is still there then I guess I won't be using Kontakt too much anymore...

WOW!! This is awesome!

It's true that NN-XT is no match for Kontakt, but the Combinator feature will go a long way in making up for any shortcomings that NN-XT might have.

What makes Reason such a powerful piece of software is that it is very stable and CPU-friendly. You can run dozens and dozens of Reason modules on even a modest computer without having it crash on you. Plus Reason has all of the other studio devices (mixers, effect devices, mastering devices) you would ever need. You can basically run as many devices as you want, configure it the way you want and not have to worry about software compatibility issues.

Bravo!

Lightbulb Re: Garritan Announces GPO Refill for Reason

Quote Originally Posted by luisto
    I agree with you that NN-XT is no Kontakt. However, as good as the GPO sounds are, I believe the real power of GPO is the realism achieved by its "playability" (mod wheel, pedal, other controllers) and ability to create ensembles (ensemble player 1, 2, etc)....How much of this "playability" is going to be available in Reason?
    You will be able to the usual midi controllers (volume, modulation, expression, sustain etc), but the special features of Kontakt will not be there, like crossfading between layers (you do have velocity layers), legato mode, and things like that. It is a light version, but still has the Garritan sound. Basically, you will treat the instruments like old school AKAI S1/2/5000 sample instruments. The real strength of this library will be being able to use the mastering effects (as well as all the other effects) in Reason, being able to automate almost everything, and composing, working and mastering in one environment and computer. I have made some Combinator centered blank "songs" so all you have to do is load the "song" and the sequencer is all set up for you (as well as all effects), so all you have to do is sit down and compose. I also have other Combinator paches that are full orchestra or the various sections. Load what you want, delete the instruments you do not want. It is all very user friendly.
    Doyle W. Donehoo, Composer
    Radar Music
    www.doylewdonehoo.com

dwdonehoo,

I'm very interested in seeing what type of programming you have accomplished.

BTW, it is very possible to do crossfading effects between different sample layers in Reason. The CV cabling capabilities in Reason make all kinds of things possible. There is a great example of crossfading on the Propellerhead website.

I look forward to the release!

-SW

Go Back to forum