• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: "Never Forgotten"

"Never Forgotten"

Hello everyone. This is something I did this afternoon.

I've been writing music for short films under incredibly tight deadlines, and will continue to do so for another week. This particular piece isn't for anything, but I felt like doing something quick and away from deadlines etc.

Let me know what you think. I feel sorry for the cello player in all of my pieces - all he/she (GPO :P) ever gets is semibreves to play. This is the first time I have written a solo for a cello! Hope it sounds somewhat nice.

"Never Forgotten"
    Chris Hurn
    Mp3, 2:24

Also here's a piece I wrote for a school workshop a year and a bit ago, it's called Journey and was my first piece for orchestra. It got recorded by the New Zealand Symphony Orchestra as part of the workshop! It's such an amazing feeling when your music is played by an orchestra...no matter how many times you've heard it in MIDI, it still sounds new and exciting (when you're sitting in the chair in front of everyone)

http://chrishurn.com/journey.mp3 --see what I mean about making cello players fall asleep? I think it's my trademark already! ()

Birmingham, England

Re: "Never Forgotten"

Bravo, Chris!
    Lovely, relaxing, tranquil. Good job. Love the chord spacing of the low strings.

Just one thing - the cello "slide" took me by surprise at 1' 49". Didn't sound TOTALLY realistic to me. Nearly, but not totally. Maybe worth a re-listen.

Thanks for posting.

Thanks. Yeah, I agree with you on the cello slide - I'll see if I can fix that up.

Thanks again!

Nice work on both Never Forgotten and Journey, Chris.

I was particularly taken with Journey -- very lovely piece, and fine writing and orchestration. Must be darned handy to have a live orchestra around! They did quite a nice job for you on this truly beautiful piece, Chris. Bravo!

And don't worry about the cello players. If you wake 'em up too often, they get surly, you know.

Very nice on both counts. "Never Forgotten" is relaxing and reflective. I like it!

Journey is wonderful with nice contrasts! Everyone who has ever gotten a chance to hear there work played by a live orchestra knows that it is a fantastic feeling. A true performer can read life into thoses notes even if they happen to be semibreves . No musician will let a note just hang around, it is always coming from or going somewhere. And that's what makes music so wonderful.

Black dots and squiggles on the page are not music. Seeing those marks and creating music from them can only happen in between the ears.

[Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

I love the cello piece! Cello and piano sound great together, don't they? In some of my early pieces, the cello also played a terribly boring role. But you did a great job with cello in this piece, and the accompanying strings blend perfectly.

"The Journey" piece is also great. The emotion live players can bring to a piece is not yet matchable, in my opinion Great work! I very much enjoy your music! Thanks for sharing.
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

An interesting journey into a meditative mood. Some glitches in the cello performance as mentioned. I missed one more part at the end, so maybe there is more to come?

All your strings belong to me!

Hey Hannes thanks for checking it out! This piece is quite old and I haven't looked at it since, but perhaps I should revisit it. Thanks!! Yeah there are a few glitches with the cello..especially concerning the pitch bend...i'll fix that up haha.

Very nice work on both... You have such a graceful, heartfelt, and soothing touch to your compositions... Would like to hear more soon...

"...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music

Thanks Michael! I really appreciate you checking it out...I'm right in the middle of fixing up "Never forgotten" now, so expect a new one soon!

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast