• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Mixing question.

Share/Bookmark

Mixing question.

For those of you who do a lot of mixing/recording:

I'm currently between studio spaces and my room isn't tuned properly. My mixes ahve become poorer thal usual as a result...should I go to headphones until I can tune the room? I've heard mixing/tracking in phones can be just as problematic.

Interested to hear what everyone thinks, even to share your mixing process.

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Re: Mixing question.

Either that, or use the smallest monitors you have and fill up your temporary space with LOTS of crap. On that last point, anything you can put in the space against the walls, to break up whatever modes/nodes are screwing the pooch would help. Bookcases with varying numbers and clumps of books and objects work. Poor man's diffusers, haha...

Egg Trays. The square soft cardboard type. (holds 48 or 64 eggs i think)

Enough to cover the walls, if that's your desire. They're usually about a foot on one side so that'll give you some idea of how many you might need.

A roll of thin plastic coated garden wire, and a pair of small pliers.

Make a big square, wiring the small squares together near the corners and in the middles (No sag).

Hang em on the walls, and cos they're so light, they won't be hard to handle.

A quick, cheap and easy way to line a room.

Regards,

Alex.

Be careful of the egg trays route, they absorb hi end but ignore lows, so you end up even more unbalanced if you don't combine that with the stuff that will soad up lows too.

Bookshelves (with books) are good diffuser and farily wide-band absorber, worked in my control room pretty good, along with a couch. And my control room is a 400hz standing wave generator.

buzz

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by buzzripper
    and my control room is a 400hz standing wave generator.

buzz
    ouch......

I agree with the bookshelves (great diffusers) and sofa (good low frequency absorber) ideas.
    Quote Originally Posted by buzzripper
    400hz standing wave generator.
    A fairly easy DIY project is to build a "Helmholtz (or Helmholz?) Resonator." They're basically wooden boxes stuffed with ordinary fiberglass and a bunch of holes drilled on one side. The great thing about them is the size of box and holes determines the "tuning" of what frequency the resonator absorbs. I had a horrible 100hz standing wave problem at my previous studio and these boxes were like magic.

- Mike Greene

Great ideas, all!

More info: I have M-Audio BX8s...and they are waaaaaaay too big for this room (I couldn't pass them up at the price I got them). Second, hard wood floors and some kind of weird paneling on the walls - seems like really cheap stuff (we got the house in a steal, basically...nice place but some weird contracting went on here )

As far as the mixes go, they sound great thru the monitors (typical) but are basically very muddy everywhere else. Low end is 'flabby', no crisp highs. It's not unlistenable, but there isn't the sheen that I hear through the monitors. When I listen back through the headphones, I can clear the clutter...but after tweaking playback through the BX5s sounds thin.

I don't know. Any analysis is greatly appreciated!

Be sure to fillup your corners to break up those tall bass waves. All the walls feed those waves right into the corners of your room and amplify the bass.

And.... there is nothing wrong w/using phones in this case.Normally not so great but for you it might be effective as a backup. Some high falootin big city boys DO use phones.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Greene
    A fairly easy DIY project is to build a "Helmholtz (or Helmholz?) Resonator."
    Mike -

I've heard of these. In a studio acoustics forum that I've been on they seem to always steer people away from those, the idea being that everything's related; when you start doing narrow-band absorption you run a high risk of getting a spike at some other frequency(ies) and the game never stops. So they always suggest broad-band absorption, for bad cases like mine, lots of broadband absorption (703 board).

But I'm open to anything, and it's such a narrow frequency problem that Helmholtz seems plausible. You didn't have any bad side-effects with them? How many did you make? How did you figure out the exact dimensions?

Thanks!

Andy

Go Back to forum