• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Sonata 1 Take 2

Share/Bookmark

Sonata 1 Take 2

OK, here is my Piano Sonata No. 1 in C again. Still not totally finished, but much closer.

I fixed a few harmonies I didn’t like and a few voice leading mistakes. I’m sure there are many more, but I got a few. Besides these minor fixes I made a few major changes. The whole second half of the development section, the counterpoint that didn’t work, was replaced. I’m sure some tweaking will go on, but I think it is almost there.

Still isn’t 100% in classical style, maybe far from it in places.

Hope you enjoy.

Sonata 1 in C mp3 file
    Sonata 1 in C pdf file
    Files updated 2/2/2006
    Last edited by trentpmcd; 02-02-2006 at 08:14 AM. Reason: Updated files
    Trent P. McDonald

Re: Sonata 1 Take 2

Good work on the "remake", Trent!

There are a few moments and progressions that might be construed as leaning more toward the Romantic than the Classical era; but that's rather a matter of opinion, really, and might be argued either way.

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

This is very enjoyable and well written Trent.
    Quote Originally Posted by etLux
    There are a few moments and progressions that might be construed as leaning more toward the Romantic than the Classical era; but that's rather a matter of opinion, really, and might be argued either way.
    OK, I'll argue. I found it to be a wonderful blend of Mozart, Haydn and any one of the Bachs as well as a fleeting moment here and there of Ludwig van. Are there other movements? You can be proud of this.

Bill
    Never look at the trombones. It only encourages them. Richard Strauss

My Website
    Beethoven's Eroica
    Antonio Salieri
    The History of Studebaker

Quote Originally Posted by etLux
    Good work on the "remake", Trent!

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    Thanks David, I'm glad you liked it.

I haven’t really been studying the classical style in depth so if I’m pretty close most of the time I’m happy. My first version had a few places that went a little too far out of style but this should be closer. However, if you noticed something that was way out line, don’t hesitate to point it out.

Thanks for listening and for your comments.
    Trent P. McDonald

Quote Originally Posted by valhalx
    This is very enjoyable and well written Trent.
    OK, I'll argue. I found it to be a wonderful blend of Mozart, Haydn and any one of the Bachs as well as a fleeting moment here and there of Ludwig van. Are there other movements? You can be proud of this.

Bill
    Thanks Bill.

I didn’t write any other movements to this. I know – pretty short. A lot of LvB’s movements are longer than this entire sonata. I had originally titled it Sonatina 1 but then decided I could get away with Sonata.

I am very happy with this and feel it is one of my best pieces to date. Hopefully as my studies continue it won’t stay at the top for long.

Thanks for listening and for your kind words.
    Trent P. McDonald

Thumbs up Re: Sonata 1 Take 2

Yes there's a definite Mozart sense in this wonderful piece with a splash of LVB. Quite nice though love the dynamics. Rather enjoyable.
    Styxx

This work is delightful!

I agree with the Mozart similarities.… a fine composer to be compared with!

The Classical likeness is amazing...You definitely kept true to this form throughout, which requires discipline and a firm understanding.
    I imagine it would be easy for you to emulate other musical styles as well…

This is a great arrangement to have in your repertoire.

Nice work!

jeff

Nice revisions, it seems to lean much closer to the classical style this time.

My only comment is on the notation. During the development section I spotted several double flats. These are unfriendly to the musician and should be respelled to enharmonics if possible.

Other than that, great job.
    Jess Hendricks
    DMA Student and Teaching Asst in Music Theory/ Composition at the University of Miami
    Personal Website

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx
    Yes there's a definite Mozart sense in this wonderful piece with a splash of LVB. Quite nice though love the dynamics. Rather enjoyable.
    Thanks Styxx, glad you liked it. Hayden, Mozart and LvB are the ones to emulate from that period and since I don’t listen to as much Hayden as I should…

Thanks for listening and commenting.

BTW, what is your avatar, Darth Vader in drag?
    Trent P. McDonald

Quote Originally Posted by jsp2
    This work is delightful!

I agree with the Mozart similarities.… a fine composer to be compared with!

The Classical likeness is amazing...You definitely kept true to this form throughout, which requires discipline and a firm understanding.
    I imagine it would be easy for you to emulate other musical styles as well…

This is a great arrangement to have in your repertoire.

Nice work!

jeff

Thanks Jeff.

I definitely won’t complain if anybody compares anything I do with Mozart. Although I didn’t have anything specific in mind, I was thinking along the lines of Mozart’s style when I wrote this so I’m glad I succeeded. However, even though I was thinking more Mozart I’ve been playing Beethoven sonatas (not Mozart) in my car over the last month so I’m not surprised a few people heard some influence from that direction.

My instructor helped with the style, not so much in telling me what to do so much as in pointing out the places my first draft went too far outside the style.

I don’t know if I can work in any style yet, but having experience in a lot of the major styles is one of my goals. Next week I’m going to start to work on early Romantic music, specifically Chopin. Then Wagner followed by R Straus or Mahler. After that… At least that is the plan for now.

Thanks for listening and for the kind words.
    Trent P. McDonald

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast