• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: I don't get it~?

Share/Bookmark

Angry I don't get it~?

No matter how I set it up, what I change, every time I open Cubase SE and play back a file or start and load up another, there it is again ... the clicking and popping and crackling. What the devil?
    Can anyone help? (Not me ... I'm beyond help ... I mean my PC?)
    Thanks.
    Styxx

Re: I don't get it~?

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx
    No matter how I set it up, what I change, every time I open Cubase SE and play back a file or start and load up another, there it is again ... the clicking and popping and crackling. What the devil?
    Thanks.
    Well, I have made very little use of Cubase, but I would suggest checking the audio options, and make sure that you have selected the optimum latency and bitrate.

Otherwise, you might consider my ex-wife's solution to electronic problems. Swat the machine with a good powerful flat hand swat. I got lots of practice repairing tv tuners - the old fashioned kind, with coils and things on a fragile ceramic stick in a revolving turret.

Richard

Thanks.
    Styxx

Whenever I load the GPO organ cornet sound in my Cubase SX demo version I get exactly the same thing. When I play this in Finale 2006b it's fine .. absolutely no clicks or pops.

The rest of my organ registrations play with no problems in both Cubase and Finale but the cornet is impossible in Cubase. I've lowered just about every volume control I can find in Cubase to a point where it's almost inaudible .. but still those poppers!!!

Have you tried playing your file through a different sequencer and if so did it play ok or were the problems still there?
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

Thanks.
    7 questions:
    - Do you have a soundcard/audiocard that supports ASIO?
    - If yes did you configure both(!) Cubase AND GPO to use the ASIO drivers?
    - Did you try to increase the latency to be more CPU-friendly to your PC?
    - Have you played around with the buffer settings in Cubase?
    - Is the disk with all the sample files defragmented?
    - Are there background processes that eat lots of CPU?
    - Why did write '7 questions', there are only 6?

Good luck.
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Crowning
    7 questions:
    - Do you have a soundcard/audiocard that supports ASIO?
    - If yes did you configure both(!) Cubase AND GPO to use the ASIO drivers?
    - Did you try to increase the latency to be more CPU-friendly to your PC?
    - Have you played around with the buffer settings in Cubase?
    - Is the disk with all the sample files defragmented?
    - Are there background processes that eat lots of CPU?
    - Why did write '7 questions', there are only 6?

Good luck.
    Tom
    1. Yes
    2. Yes, yes.
    3. Yes, yes, yes.
    4. Yes, yes, yes, yes.
    5. Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes.
    6. Maybe, I don't know. How do I check?
    7. Good question!

Cubase SE 3 from what I understand has new audio drivers and better audio engine. So, what that means is more money. I'm beginning to understand how to make money in the software business.
    Styxx

If it is a CPU overload thing, try turning Ambience quality down (if you use this reverb) and reduce polyphony on the more polyphonic instruments.

6. Maybe, I don't know. How do I check?
    Try [CONTROL]+[ALT]+[DELETE], click on the 2nd tab (I only have the german XP version, but it's might called "processes") and gaze at the 3rd column. What does the cpu usage tells you?

In Cubase when loading one of those projects you could try [F12]. This is the same info you could find in the XP task manager but it shows only the Cubase relative cpu usage.

In some of my projects I'm still having 50 or 60% cpu usage (3200XP cpu and 1 GB RAM). Running one of that projects for the first time after loading it in Cubase I have ever some drop outs. One reason is that I have too many VSTs loaded (not enough RAM and Windows put some stuff into the swap file).

Cubase SE 3 from what I understand has new audio drivers and better audio engine.
    I can only speak for SX, but the newer the Cubase the bigger the cpu usage. It's the old boring thing: you bought new software? Buy new hardware...! I was never able to play some of my SX 1 projects with SX 2 because of the old hardware. And I'm afraid of getting SX 3 (some of my projects wouldn't work fine I think). Just my 0.02$.

Try [CONTROL]+[ALT]+[DELETE], click on the 2nd tab (I only have the german XP version, but it's might called "processes") and gaze at the 3rd column. What does the cpu usage tells you?
    Oh man, I've done this a million times and still wouldn't know what to turn off or leave on to save my life! I will say there are tons of things listed and I haven't the first clue what most of them are! The worst is AOL crap. AOL has at least ten things running and most of them have high CPU usage. I never gave them a second thought because I never open AOL when I am using my DAW. I'll tell you, a couple of years ago I got away from the hardware sequencing thinking PC was the way to go. Maybe it still is but what a load of trash loaded on these things!
    Now, to figure out what is necessary for every moment operation and what isn't and can be turned off. Shighst! More work fixing than writing!
    Styxx

Quote Originally Posted by mixolydian
    [...]
    I can only speak for SX, but the newer the Cubase the bigger the cpu usage. It's the old boring thing: you bought new software? Buy new hardware...! I was never able to play some of my SX 1 projects with SX 2 because of the old hardware. And I'm afraid of getting SX 3 (some of my projects wouldn't work fine I think). Just my 0.02$.
    Yep, that's why I ignored Steinbergs upgrade offer for SE ($40 for the upgrade
    was okay, but additional $20 for the dongle (that was one of the reasons
    NOT to buy SX) made me think about Steinbergs upgrade policy).

Tom

Oh man, I've done this a million times and still wouldn't know what to turn off or leave on to save my life! I will say there are tons of things listed and I haven't the first clue what most of them are! The worst is AOL crap. AOL has at least ten things running and most of them have high CPU usage. I never gave them a second thought because I never open AOL when I am using my DAW. I'll tell you, a couple of years ago I got away from the hardware sequencing thinking PC was the way to go. Maybe it still is but what a load of trash loaded on these things!
    Now, to figure out what is necessary for every moment operation and what isn't and can be turned off. Shighst! More work fixing than writing!
    First rule when you get a new PC: remove all this AOL stuff, you don't
    want it (remove it via System->Software, NOT by killing it with the
    taskmanager).

With the affordable virtual PC emulations like VMware it's even a good idea
    to use a virtual PC for most internet activities. A trojan or virus in a
    virtual environment can't modify/delete your important data.

Tom

Go Back to forum