• Register
  • Help

Topic: Quartal Theme & Fugue - by Rich Rayer

Share/Bookmark

Quartal Theme & Fugue - by Rich Rayer

Rich Rayer has sent in an mp3 of his "Quartal Theme & Fugue".

"Quartal Theme & Fugue"

Rich writes: It was an exercised devised by my brother to help me break the mold of always staying "inside the box." The work centers around a 2 part counterpuntal study for the Clarinet and Bassoon with the strings as accompaniment and later become leaders in the fugal presentation. The harmony structure is in the style of that devised by Paul Hindemith. I hope you enjoy it. I certainly had fun writing it!"

Thanks Rich for sharing this with us. You did an incredible job and I certainly enjoyed it!

Gary Garritan

Re: Quartal Theme & Fugue - by Rich Rayer

Wow... interesting piece!

Very well done, indeed. Don't look now, but I think ol' Paul is about to reach down (up?) from the hereafter and clap you on the back.

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Lovely harmonic world, and some interesting counterpoint going on here.
    It can be really liberating to escape our boxes sometimes.
    regards

Wow! As the previous comments stated, great harmony and counterpoint, but I was struck by your rhythems. A superb choice of instruments as well.

Bill
    Never look at the trombones. It only encourages them. Richard Strauss

My Website
    Beethoven's Eroica
    Antonio Salieri
    The History of Studebaker

Thanks David, Joaz and Bill for the very nice comments. Coming from you it is all the more flattering . I'm currently working on a piece using Atonal matrix sets. Again to help break the molds and chains we can develop.
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Very nice! In some ways, it's more interesting than Hindemith - while I like his music, sometimes his process gets in the way of his expression. That didn't happen here - the piece is lovely, with a good sense of direction.

As an aside, I've always felt that Hindemith was someone who "overthought" his music. Listen to his "Trauermusik", a spontaneous work written after the death of King George (V?) of England in 1936. He wrote it in an afternoon, and is marvelous. In other words, his instincts were fabulous; sometimes, though, he worked it out to a too-logical conclusion. Just my NSHO (hey, my first acronym!).

But back to you Rich: good for getting your ears into new terrain. Look forward to hearing more.

R. Pearl

Sorry, R. Pearl,

Somehow, I missed your comment. Thanks for the nice remarks. I'm am learning different styles in hopes of eventually finding my own. Not a small task, as you must quite know. Hindemith was only one of my studies. I am currently working on an Atonal piece using a four note matrix. If there is any interest, I will post it shortly.
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Paul Hindemith is one of the great masters of the 20th century and it is nice to hear music composed using his wonderful techniques.

He is a hero to most of the composers I know including my current and former composition professors. I can think of no one better to study and emulate. And your explorations of these harmonies is very nice too.
    Jess Hendricks
    DMA Student and Teaching Asst in Music Theory/ Composition at the University of Miami
    Personal Website

Quote Originally Posted by RichR
    Sorry, R. Pearl,

Somehow, I missed your comment. Thanks for the nice remarks. I'm am learning different styles in hopes of eventually finding my own. Not a small task, as you must quite know. Hindemith was only one of my studies. I am currently working on an Atonal piece using a four note matrix. If there is any interest, I will post it shortly.
    By all means - post your Atonal piece/experiment/endeavour. This is a great place to share your work, as you problably can see.

Looking forward to it!

R. Pearl

Go Back to forum