• Register
  • Help

Topic: A new song

A new song

Hi everyone,

It has been a while since I've visited the forums here so apologies to all

We've been busy in NY getting Spellbound ready for an open theatre reading, auditioning cast and generally promoting the show. The great news for us is that there is talk in town of a Broadway production of Spellbound in the not-too-distant future Just a few more hurdles to get over before everyone involved gives the green light

Anyway, in the meantime, here is an instrumental version of a new song we wrote in the summer. It's called Raven's Lament and is sung by the lead female's "love interest" after he realises that he may just have screwed everything up for her! Everything is GPO except the brass. Once I have recorded our actor singing the vocals I will re-post.

Hope you all enjoy listening. Any advice/comments/critique is, as always, greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,
    Best wishes to all,

Here is the link:

Our website has more songs for your listening pleasure: http://www.spellboundthemusical.com
    "Life is rarely fair..." - Garlan, of Thorandall

Re: A new song

Broadway Production? From what I've heard of Spellbound so far, I surely hope so! I'm sure every soul in this forum will be offering up a good thought for you in this, Kin.

Beautifully done, and great material -- but then, as you know, I've been following the progress of this with admiration for some time... love the well managed build into the end, and the superb brass work.

Post Scriptum:
    0:47-51 transition seemed a little strained to me.

Quote Originally Posted by etLux
    Post Scriptum:
    0:47-51 transition seemed a little strained to me.
    Hi David,

Thanks for your comments once again. The transition at 0:47-51 is intentionally strained. The vocals, at that point, express Raven's regret in his plight to help the lead female in her quest. The time signature changes from 4/4 to 6/8 for 2 bars (following the pattern from the introductory 2 bars in the song). It will be more clear when we have recorded the vocals and there is more expression in what he is singing about.

Incidentally, the piano also plays the melody line, backed up by french horn and clarinet later on in the song.

Thanks so much for your input. We always listen to what people have to say and your comments are always very insightful.

Take care,

"Life is rarely fair..." - Garlan, of Thorandall

Ah! No doubt what plucked my ear, there, Kin.

I might even break down and leave the mountain when this goes up in New York... and that's something. Haven't been to the City since, er... 1984, I think... lol.

Go Back to forum