• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Real-time Stradivari Performance Video - Thais Meditation by Massanet

Share/Bookmark

Real-time Stradivari Performance Video - Thais Meditation by Massanet

Stefano Lucato has prepared a real-time performance video with the Stradivari.

The work performed is the Meditation de 'Thais' by Jules Massenet (1842-1912) which is regarded as one of the most beautiful pieces written for violin.

This video shows the Stradivari Solo Violin being played in real-time and shows various playable articulations and techniques. Separate articulation samples did not have to be searched nor stiched together. All in one performance and on one track.

Here is the link to the video in Windows WMA format:

Meditation de 'Thais'
    http://www.garritan.com/Strad/DemoSt...senetMsfm1.wmv
    The file is 8.3 MB and is in WMA format.

Here is a Quicktime file:

Mediation de 'Thais'

http://www.garritan.com/Strad/DemoStradMassenetQT1.mov
    The file is about 10MB.

Stefano was one of the developers of the Stradivari and is a rare talent. I am very proud to be associated with him.

Enjoy Stefano's exquisite performance!

Gary Garritan

Re: Real-time Stradivari Performance Video - Thais Meditation by Massanet

Very nice indeed. I'm floored.

Ars

Beautifully done, Stefano. The power and expressive capabilities of this package are astonishing, and you play it with excellence and charm. Gary, thanks for sharing - and for bringing out this marvelous instrument!
    Dasher
    -------
    It's all about the music - really. I keep telling myself that...

Incredibly well rehearsed and played.....it reminds me somewhat of the RealGuitar demos which has similar programming and powers!

I prefer not to look at the video and just to close my eyes in order to believe.

For the vast majority of the time the reality of the sound is exquisite and the movement of the sound within and between notes is superb.

I just find that there are fleeting nasal, hollow moments (mouthorgan) in the sound which I don't quite understand. I noticed it in the very first video (months ago) but thought it had been cured during development but I notice it again in this (one of my favourite, somewhat hackneyed piece). The first instance of this is at around 15.5s and the next is at 23s if you want to hear what I'm talking about. It sounds as if these, solitary, notes are from a different instrument. Is it because they are of shorter duration than their neighbouring ones? I'm very interested to hear the technical reasons behind what might cause this.

This 'mouthorgan' sound was always the bane of many synthesised/ sampled violins which I've listened to over the years.....although this is very far removed from those.

I don't want to be churlish as this is, indeed, a very attractive instrument and a very tempting purchase.

Frank

Gary how about "Close your eyes and believe" for a marketing slogan

Thumbs up Re: Real-time Stradivari Performance Video - Thais Meditation by Massanet

Matters of tone, EQ and the like are a very personal preference. It is always best to leave as is to allow the user the freedom to alter.

The pure emotion and expression heard LIVE via this product is second to none.

Congratulations to the G crew!

Quote Originally Posted by Bela D Media
    Matters of tone, EQ and the like are a very personal preference. It is always best to leave as is to allow the user the freedom to alter.

I think I hear what Frank hears as well. I do agree that it's generally best to leave maximum flexibility in the tone, EQ, etc, but what I hear is a SLigHt bIt of inCONsisTEncY fRoM noTE to note in extremely brief, isolated spots. This is definitely not best left untreated.

BUT, perspective! To me, this is an extremely minor nitpick in a beautifully expressive, believable sound that can be PLAYED. PERFORMED as music, rather than tweaked like code after the fact. I hope this concept is extended to many other instruments!

very cool, what a gorgeous piece that is huh?

Dan

Pretty amazing. After listening a few times with eyes closed, I was even more impressed with it. There are a few turns that seemed to sound "bowed" when I thought a legato approach made more sense - but that's more about realtime playing, going back to tweak later, and/or purely musical choice. That, plus the fact that a real violin tends to be pretty wildly dynamic and I think they've got it pretty much nailed. A few notes that jump out or get swallowed is not out of the question - the overall musical expression is what floors me. I'm still working on performing certain articulations and idiomatic approaches - and this video continues to be an inspiration.
    Houston Haynes - Titan Line Music

Quote Originally Posted by Eric G
    To me, this is an extremely minor nitpick in a beautifully expressive, believable sound that can be PLAYED. PERFORMED as music, rather than tweaked like code after the fact. I hope this concept is extended to many other instruments!
    Thanks Eric. This concept will be extended to other instruments. Currently a Gofriller cello is being produced. This will be followed by a viola, bass (Amati) and a Guarneri Del Jesu violin.

Gary Garritan

Quote Originally Posted by Bela D Media

We agree Francis. If you re-read I'm not talking about the tone of the instrument but the incongruity of the tone of a few individual notes in comparison to the majority.

Generally the tone is ever so slightly strident (out of the box) for my personal taste and for some lyrical adagio pieces only. However Gary made, totally, the correct decision because you can always take the edge off with filters but you can't add 'grit'!

I re-irritate it's a brilliant instrument which I can see in my arsenal at some point.

Frank

Go Back to forum