• Register
  • Help

Topic: Problem Creating a Giga Performance

Share/Bookmark

Problem Creating a Giga Performance

I am trying to load a performance that is made up of 7 gig files, each file contains 9 instruments, the total memory use is around 35-40%. When I load the 6th gig file, I get the message "unknown system error. Would you like to continue with loading of the performance?"

This error occurs no matter which gig file is the 6th one, so that seems to rule out any particular gig file being corrupted.

I have 2GB of memory, ample hard drive space and a P4-3ghz processor.

Jerry Gerber

Re: Problem Creating a Giga Performance

Have you run through the Memory Configuration Manager process to make sure Gigastudio has access to as much RAM as possible?

- G

Hi Gamera,

Yes, I tried that and it did allow me to load more sounds. What I am curious about is I have 2gb, and Giga reports that I can access about 1534mb. Obviously, the remainder is being used by Giga, Windows, etc.

But when I do the memory test, it first said I was only able to access about 40% of the 1534, which is about 600mb! So then I changed the configuration and tried all 3 of the other options and I managed to get the memory accessible up to about 1012mb, still a bit less than a gig.

I have 4 more gig files to load, each with about 9 instruments. I'll find out in an hour or so how much of that I will actually be able to load.

If I still can't get the full number I need, I will try turning off some non-essential windows services, which are using some memory.

Thanks,

Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by Gamera
    Have you run through the Memory Configuration Manager process to make sure Gigastudio has access to as much RAM as possible?

- G

This is a curious fault.

My Work around is to close down the midi mixer and start up the editor, this will knock msg32.exe back to square one.
    then start up giga midi mixer again; if you have moved any files required for a performance, then this error occurs;
    Make sure all giga instrs are converted to V3 and the quicksound database is not corrupted.

This may help; works for me, but no guarantees.
    GIGA ORCHESTRA 3.21
    DAW ONE: CPU: 3.4GHz; RAM: 2 GIGS DDR400; Mobo P4 GIGABYTE ;80GIG IDE HD;2 X WD SATA HD Raptors 10KRPM 74GIG in RAID 0;
    M Audio Firewire 410; Midisport 8X8

Hauptwerk V3
    DAW TWO: CPU: 2.4 GHz Dual Core; RAM 4 gigs DDR2533: MOBO Asrock ConRoeFirex - eSATA2; 2 x SATA 80 GIG, HDs; M Audio Delta 1010 and a Delta 1010LT, soundcards; MOTU Express 128 i/f

The error message you quote is used for many situations, it seems; one in particular is the situation where your gig files are filling up all the available memory and trying to add even more. The meter reading as you've found is not that helpful until you learn where "Full" is on your computer: it's not 99%, that's for sure!

Going thru all of the tweaks; I found this one will cause loading problems and BSOD from time to time.
    It is a recommended tweak; however; when I set it to 1 the problems began and vice versa.

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control
    SessionManager\MemoryManagement DWORD LargeSystemCache = dword:00000001, should be dword:00000000 for Giga3. If set to 1, I found it sometimes prevented loading up a performance or caused some instruments to stop loading.

Something for your reference files.
    GIGA ORCHESTRA 3.21
    DAW ONE: CPU: 3.4GHz; RAM: 2 GIGS DDR400; Mobo P4 GIGABYTE ;80GIG IDE HD;2 X WD SATA HD Raptors 10KRPM 74GIG in RAID 0;
    M Audio Firewire 410; Midisport 8X8

Hauptwerk V3
    DAW TWO: CPU: 2.4 GHz Dual Core; RAM 4 gigs DDR2533: MOBO Asrock ConRoeFirex - eSATA2; 2 x SATA 80 GIG, HDs; M Audio Delta 1010 and a Delta 1010LT, soundcards; MOTU Express 128 i/f

Go Back to forum