• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Solo instrument accompaniment - 101

Share/Bookmark

Solo instrument accompaniment - 101

Fellow compositeurs,

The accompaniment for the solo instrument in your compositions can be musically interesting in and of itself as long as it doesn't get in the way of the "star", which is the solo instrument itself, of course.

Having the accompaniment play harmony in short phrases with the solo instrument can afford a pleasant sound but this effect should be used sparingly.

"Dialog" between solo and accompaniment can be written as a type of musical "question and answer" and tasteful counterpoint can be used also.

This is my "Flute Exercise #19" featuring the GPO Solo Flute V and two instances of the GPO Steinway piano.

LGA

http://www.alexandermusic.com/resour...Exercise19.mp3
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Re: Solo instrument accompaniment - 101

Hi Larry,

So how many poor GPO flute players did you kill off before you found one that had huge enough lungs to play this? Oh, you say, That's why GPO is so special, those guys are like the "Tunes" in the film Roger Rabbit, If you kill them they just come back to life and demand more punishment.

Seriously, this is a fun and quite charming piece. And I might say very "larryesque."

Always enjoy your music, Larry.

Take care, and keep 'em coming,

Karl

My lungs are tire just listening to these phrases! But, what a nice little piece! Are you sure you are not multiple re-incarnations of 19th century composers? Delightful piece...I enjoyed it!
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Garrett
    Hi Larry,

So how many poor GPO flute players did you kill off before you found one that had huge enough lungs to play this? Oh, you say, That's why GPO is so special, those guys are like the "Tunes" in the film Roger Rabbit, If you kill them they just come back to life and demand more punishment.

Seriously, this is a fun and quite charming piece. And I might say very "larryesque."

Always enjoy your music, Larry.

Take care, and keep 'em coming,

Karl
    Hey, Karl,

This particular piece has been played in the past by real, live, human-being folks.

Thanks for listening and commenting.

Larry A.
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Quote Originally Posted by RichR
    My lungs are tire just listening to these phrases! But, what a nice little piece! Are you sure you are not multiple re-incarnations of 19th century composers? Delightful piece...I enjoyed it!
    I'm not a reincarnation. I am from the nineteenth century!

I appreciate your kind, inspirational words. Thanks.

LGA
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Good writing for, and sound out of, the piano(s) on this, Larry.

I don't have a problem with the long flute lines -- flute players are ingenious about grabbing a "catch breath" here and there... though it would be very workable with the material to put in a few (more) short rests here and there.

Fine piece, too! Like this one.

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Quote Originally Posted by etLux
    Good writing for, and sound out of, the piano(s) on this, Larry.

I don't have a problem with the long flute lines -- flute players are ingenious about grabbing a "catch breath" here and there... though it would be very workable with the material to put in a few (more) short rests here and there.

Fine piece, too! Like this one.

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    Thanks for the review, Dave. I 'preciate it.

Larry A.
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Thumbs up Re: Solo instrument accompaniment - 101

Larry, this is delightful!
    And thanks for your short blurb on solo and accompaniment. If I'm not carefull around here I might learn something...

-Chris

Quote Originally Posted by cptexas
    Larry, this is delightful!
    And thanks for your short blurb on solo and accompaniment. If I'm not carefull around here I might learn something...

-Chris
    You are welcome, Son.

Mind your parents and study hard (especially spelling).

Larry A.
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Quote Originally Posted by Larry G. Alexander
    You are welcome, Son.

Mind your parents and study hard (especially spelling).

Larry A.

Darn! I was trying to figure out how to spell that but the spellcheck doesn't seem to work properly. I need to download some sorta thing...

I'm currently working on an organ piece that has a solo and accompaniment feel with different stops. I must say your first post really helped!
    What would we do without good ole LGA?

-Chris

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast