• Register
  • Help

Topic: GOS Usage Questions

GOS Usage Questions

I am now a proud owner of the Garritan Orchestral Strings library! I received it two days ago and I've just now got around to fully installing it and loading a few patches.

I actually do not use Gigastudio. I realized, when buying GOS, that I might run into some problems, but I'm willing to spend a bit of time on them. I am a Kontakt 2 user and very happy with that platform, and have tried load about fifteen different sounds so far - I simply select the .GIG file from the browser and the sub-patch I want to use. So far, the import seems relatively good. The envelopes don't translate all that well, but overall, the basic stuff (sustains, marcatos) seem to import well.

However, I would like to make use of some of the really cool features of GOS such as the auto-alternation, loudness/vibrato changes using the modwheel, keyswitches, and so forth. Does anyone here have recommendations for how I can best access these features with K2?
    Zircon Studios - Original music for media, electronica, sound design, and synthesis.

Re: GOS Usage Questions

Hi Andrew,
    Don't know if this will work with your system but there's lots of good stuff at TenCrazy.com (see link below)
    See also my initial Kontakt translation attempts at http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ad.php?t=41598 for one example.

I also just got GOS and found that Kontakt 1.5.3 does a better job of translating the .gig files. I spent most of yesterday translating .gigs into .nki format vfia the bukl conversion process in K1.5.3 without a problem whereas k2 chokes on some conversion.

Hope more new GOS users add to this info - especially those using Kontakt.

Good luck,

MFX AutoAlternator
    AutoAlternator allows you to do automatic bow-direction alternations in the ALT patches of Garritan Orchestral Strings. Of course, it can also be applied to other systems: for example, you can alternate left and right-hand hits on the Timpani patch in Garritan Personal Orchestra. Anything with two sets of alternate samples mapped across the keyboard is game. But wait: there's more! I've added a feature that will allow you to alternate sound instances across two separate MIDI channels. As such, you can create hand-tweaked sample sets by loading in two of the same patch and altering the pitch and timbre parameters of only one of them.

REVISED Import info

Would you believe the randomly chosen test conversion file from disk 1, 1st violins, "1st violins KS and Lite.gig" file is THE ONLY ONE that does not convert directly into Kontakt 2.02

AND I discovered that importing via Kontakt 1.5.3 does NOT correctly import the CC17 (GPC-2) and CC80(GPC-5) data in at least one file (Ist Violins long bow, 1st vin SusV leg.

So to make a long story short

Importing GOS via K2.02 is fine except for 1st violins KS and Lite.gig which chokes on the file Silent.wav.

Ok, to verify.. I use the Kontakt 1.5.3 batch converter, then the latest K2 to play 'em?

Now, by doing this, do I get any of the MaestroTools functionality like the ALT patches? Or is that something I need to get the MFX plugins for (which I don't seem to understand 100%)?
    Zircon Studios - Original music for media, electronica, sound design, and synthesis.

Go Back to forum