• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: Jazz Trio Demo by Shnurgle

Jazz Trio Demo by Shnurgle

Hey there,
    A couple months ago I was engaged in some heated posts on another forum about the use of loops. My argument was for creative drumming and against loops.
    I got some free time this weekend and decided to mock up a contemporary jazz trio using no loops whatsoever.

This is in the vein of Chick Corea's Akoustic band (I kind of "Weckled-out" on the drums to show off dfh's ability).

Anyway it was suggested I post this over here too, hope you all enjoy.

Libraries used: Galazy Steinway, Majestic bass (fretless), DFH Superior

PS: Thanks to "Ecliptic" for graciously hosting this mp3 on his website for me!

Re: Jazz Trio Demo by Shnurgle

wonderful job, Baron Shnurg; I heard it "over there" & respectfully request that you repeat here how you did the drums (the whole process really, if you don't mind).

btw, the Lord Smiddick quote was my favorite of your old signatures; but you should have tied this one in to your death & resurrection drama: "yes, it is my opinion... that he is dead" (so many great lines from that flick)

have quill -- will bleed...

Wow!!! That's really nice!

You wrote this as well? That's some monster piano playing!

- Mike Greene

Tucson, AZ

In the words of the Immortal Max Bialistok --Ma-waaah-wahh-waah--vah voom.

More- More...

(PS - I'm jealous.)

Budleigh Salterton

I asked The Baron Schnurg today to post this here. I dunno if he was going to or not anyway.

I can't think of ever hearing a mock up piano trio better than this ever. It's beautifully played. I would love to be able to play this stuff - I could play it - I just wouldn't have the faintest clue WHAT to play.

And not just the piano playing (the left hand chords would frighten off most pianists). The bass lines are superb. And the drum programming is mind blowing to me.

This is a fantastic rendition and thanks so much for posting it here Baron!

Lord (envious) Blakeney.

Many thanks gents!

In terms of composing and programming, basically I laid out the head and the form with the various meter changes and mapped out the arrangement with a scratch drum and bass track (just keeping time). Then I recorded the piano against that. At this point, I went back and re-recorded the drum part with my midi keyboard. I wanted to try and achieve at least the "impression" of the live interaction that goes on between members of a live trio, so I recorded the drums specifically reacting to the piano part. I got most of it down and then went back for second and third passes to "fill in the blanks." Finally I laid down the bass part.

The idea behind this experiment was to try and achieve the "life" that I often find missing in loop-based mock-ups. I'm pleased you regard this as a successful effort. And thanks Paul for suggesting I throw this up on these boards.

Miles Hankins

PS: Scribe, nice work with the "Without a Clue" quote!

Very nice!! Show me how to do that!!

Impressive; my compliments!

nice! do you have a midi file of the piano part by any chance?

Out of my Mind

Thumbs up Re: Jazz Trio Demo by Shnurgle

Holy Cow!

Very Smooth, my brother, Very Smooooth!

As I said in another post, I don't use loops either. Dont care for loops - except Fruit Loops - Good Cereal!

Thanks for posting this Shnurg! My kinda thing man!

"So what if some parts of life are a crap shoot? Get out there and shoot the crap." -- Neil Peart
    Hint:1.6180339887498948482 Φ

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast