• Register
  • Help

Topic: Crossfades & Velocity Layers

Crossfades & Velocity Layers

I posted this to the EW Forum, but here goes.

I need to establish more volume control, especially for crescendos within a single instrument track rather than for all tracks in the ensemble.

I know there are several ways to to this, but I'm really confused by crossfades and velocity layers.

I'm using Platinum XP and in the manual on pp. 35 and 36 they talk about how to get standard crossfades with the mod wheel. The manual specifically mentions the 4 Trumpets sample as an example of how "stunning" this effect can sound. For the life of me, I can't get it to work. I'm using track automation inside Logic and doing all this manually rather than at the keyboard so that I can have more control. I can raise or lower the volume with CCs for Expression (CC#11) or Volume (CC#7) , but the Mod Wheel settings (CC#1) have no effect. What could I be doing wrong?

I can also change the volume in almost any sample by changing the velocity of the sounds. This of course changes the timbre as well. Which brings me to my second question. Do all samples have the same number of velocity layers? Area the layers more or less standard across the library? If so, what are the approximate cutoff points in velocity for, p, mf, f, ff if there are any?

I feel like I'm missing out on so many features of the library by not being able to do these crossfades and velocity settings properly.

Re: Crossfades & Velocity Layers

Bill, I don't have XP, so this may not apply.

In Platinum, there are specific patches that utilize crossfades. They are notated by the letters DXF (which I believe stands for "Dynamic Cross-fade).

Loading a patch without this acronym in the name, doesn't allow for this feature, because it's not programmed that way.

Again, this may not apply to XP, and if that's the case, please disregard...

Go Back to forum