• Register
  • Help

Topic: Help Mr. Garritan with arco/pizz in Sibelius

Share/Bookmark

Help Mr. Garritan with arco/pizz in Sibelius

Dear Mr. Garritan:

First of all I want to tell you that I love GPO. I purchased last November, and it is great! The one I got is GPO First Edition (GPO1001). Soon I will buy JABB, as I really need it.

As a professional arranger I have worked with Sibelius for some years now, and right now I have Sib 4. I have a pretty good knowledge of Midi, Midi channels, Midi messages, etc.

When I used Sibelius before (with a Midi GM keyboard or sound module to play the sounds), whenever I placed the technique words "pizz." or "arco" on a stringed instrument staff, the sound device automatically changed the sound to the desired articulation.

The problem is that I can't make this with GPO. I can load any violin sample that is listed, but I haven't figured out how to make Sibelius to switch the articulation. I imagine that I have to load a "pizz sample" in another slot of Kontakt, but the thing is that this new slot is in a different Midi channel than the "arco sample". The problem is that Sibelius doesn't let you change Midi channel in the middle of a staff, so this staff is permanently stuck with the Midi channel that you assign at the "Mixer". If I assign the same Midi channel for both samples in Kontakt, they dont switch but sound simultaneously, and that's not what I want either.

I posted a message in the "Tips and Tecnhiques" forum, and Mr. R.Wayland kindly suggested me to download the most recent version of GPO Studio from Garritan's website because he believed that this could solve my problem as this could be a bug that this version could fix, so I did. After uninstalling the original version, I installed the downloaded one and it behaves exactly as the one I had installed before.

Mr. R. Wayland even said that in the solo strings menu the first instrument listed should be "Gagli KS", but in mine what is displayed is "Violin 1 Gagli Ens 1" . (!) In my GPO's solo strings list do not appear any KS instrument. The only KS that I find are listed under "section strings". Does this means that I have a different version or edition of GPO?

I would appreciate if you (or anybody else) could tell me step by step how to achieve the arco/pizz change with GPO and Sibelius. (Both solo and section stings).

Many thanks in advance.

Re: Help Mr. Garritan with arco/pizz in Sibelius

Hi Pedrito,

Thanks for posting and welcome to the forum!

You should be able to to get the desired results. Switching between arco and pizz has been done through keyswitching.
    Neil Sands has written a clever Sibelius plug-in which will go through your score looking for pizz and arco markings and will add the correct notes to effect keyswitches so that these instructions play back correctly. It's on our Siblius page: http://www.garritan.com/GPO-SibeliusPage.html

On our Siblius page
    there are other plugins and tutorials. There is also an excellent tutorial written by James Humberstone

There is now a new GPO Sibelius Edition ($49 upgrade for GPO users) that will let you do this automatically when you place the technique words. This new Sibelius edition is seamlesly integrated with Sibelius and may make things much easier for you.

Hope this helps.

Gary Garritan

Well, Pedrito, it truly troubles me that you can't get it to work. I am quite thoroughly familiar with that kind of frustration! I suspect the main problem at the moment is a communications problem. Here is my latest thought, since you have verified your Studio V2 installation.

1. Have you, as a test, tried to load the solo strings in the stand alone version of GPO? If so, what results?

2. The menu item number you want is number 7, solo strings. If otherwise, that is probably the root of your problem. But, be careful when you move your cursor as it tends to slide around and you may find you have clicked on something you had not intended. If the menu number is correct, and you still find the problem, it looks like a problem with your library location, or with the library.

3. Have you tried GPO Studio without Sibelius loaded? If so, what results? when using Sibelius with GPO, do you open Studio first? If not, you will probably experience some problems, but I can't remember what.

I will check here a little later, after some coffee. It might take some serious effort, but eventually I or someone here will get you operational!

If you wish, you may contact me via email, as I check it often throughout the day when I need a break from the piano or from composing.

Richard

Thumbs up Re: Help Mr. Garritan with arco/pizz in Sibelius

Thanks a lot both Mr. Garritan and Mr. Wayland for your kind replies:

Regarding Mr. Garritan answer, perhaps I should buy the GPO Sibelius Edition. Would you be so kind to tell me how to get it? I'm pretty sure it is the right move to make in my case. About Neil Sand's plugin, I will load it and try it shortly to see if it helps me.

One last question: When I open GPO and click on the Kontakt Player logo this opens a menu named "About" where you can see some info as the software serial number. After it the software version number is listed. Mine is "1.02.008" and the library number is "1.0". Would this be something related with the problem I have?

Regarding Mr. Wayland, I appreciate your help and following your sugestion I will email you directly. Thanks a lot for your patience and advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedrito Lopez
    Thanks a lot both Mr. Garritan and Mr. Wayland for your kind replies:

Regarding Mr. Garritan answer, perhaps I should buy the GPO Sibelius Edition. Would you be so kind to tell me how to get it? I'm pretty sure it is the right move to make in my case. About Neil Sand's plugin, I will load it and try it shortly to see if it helps me.

One last question: When I open GPO and click on the Kontakt Player logo this opens a menu named "About" where you can see some info as the software serial number. After it the software version number is listed. Mine is "1.02.008" and the library number is "1.0". Would this be something related with the problem I have?

Regarding Mr. Wayland, I appreciate your help and following your sugestion I will email you directly. Thanks a lot for your patience and advice.
    Pedrito,

I think you will find the GPO Sibelius Edition a very helpful tool to have.

R. Pearl

Quote Originally Posted by Pedrito Lopez
    You do not have the most recent version installed. Go to this link to update:

http://www.garritan.com/downloads.html

JT

Go Back to forum