• Register
  • Help

Topic: Controller Q - 88 & weighted?

Share/Bookmark

Controller Q - 88 & weighted?

Okay,

I've got GPO and due to the obvious ranges of the entire orchestra I'm trying to decide if an 88 key controller is absolutely necessary or what the trade off in inconvenience it would be to get a smaller one that would be more helpful in a more cramped environment.

What are all of your recommendations for controllers and do you find that, those of you using smaller ones (61 key, etc), find this to be more limiting to a productivity-detracting degree than if you had a full 88 hey?

Also - do you find that weighted is an advantage or DISadvantage due to the multiple "non-piano" orchestral instruments that may not benefit from the weighted action.

Thoughts, please, as this has been "weighing" on my mind without the information enough to solve this adequately.

Thank you!

- Paul

Re: Controller Q - 88 & weighted?

Hi Paul,
    Personally, most of the time I use a 61-key unweighted board. For piano, I use the weighted 88-key board. I don't feel limited at all by the 61-key board. I do feel that it's harder for me to get realistic lines as easily with the weighted keys as opposed to non-weighted keys.
    Steph

Well, when it comes to playing I think that you would be better off with a full 88 weighted keyboard. If you are a pianist at all, it will drive you nuts to have unweighted keys. The other advantage is having all 88 keys allows you to be able to play key switching notes on the fly.

I personally have two key boards. Un weighted 5 octave that works just fine for Organ and harpsichord passages and a weighted 88 with pitch bend and mod wheel. The mod wheel is very important for playing GPO live.

I find that I like the weighted keys to play all other instruments in live, like violin, flute etc. I'm sure if you ask 10 different people you will get 12 different answers about weighted un-weighted for GPO.

Hope this helps ya.
    88fingers
    (The Nut )

www.waveav8.com

Yep. There will be 120 different responses from the 115 people who may offer their suggestion! LOL!

I use M-Audio's Keystation Pro 88. It is weighted. I like it. Some peope LOVE it. Some people HATE it. Bottom line, though, is that it works for me as a keyboard controller. For me, the extra dials, buttons and sliders are very useful when editing the sequenced project.

If you live near a music instrument store, I would suggest visiting it and trying out their different keyboard controllers. There are many, many different keyboard controllers to audition.

Good luck and have fun with your decision!

Quote Originally Posted by PaulG
    Okay,

I've got GPO and due to the obvious ranges of the entire orchestra I'm trying to decide if an 88 key controller is absolutely necessary or what the trade off in inconvenience it would be to get a smaller one that would be more helpful in a more cramped environment.

What are all of your recommendations for controllers and do you find that, those of you using smaller ones (61 key, etc), find this to be more limiting to a productivity-detracting degree than if you had a full 88 hey?

Also - do you find that weighted is an advantage or DISadvantage due to the multiple "non-piano" orchestral instruments that may not benefit from the weighted action.

Thoughts, please, as this has been "weighing" on my mind without the information enough to solve this adequately.

Thank you!

- Paul
    There's no general answer to this question, but there are some questions
    I'd ask myself before I decide:

- are you a pianist? If so, you won't be happy with unweighted keys.
    - do you record 'on the flight' or do you do a lot of work in the sequencer
    software? 88 key controlers are much more convenient when you use
    multies or if your arrangements use the full range of notes.

Because of place restrictions I can't use a 88 key controler, so I decided
    for M-Audio's Evolution MK-461C.
    It has lots of CC controlers which support the way I'm writing music very
    good.
    The only thing I'm missing sometimes is that the keys are not weighted.

Tom

I think this is a very important development.

Last year Studiologic/Fatar released the world's first hammer-action piano-weighted 49-key controller.

They just announced that they are going to release the same product in 61-key, 76-key, and 88-key versions.

This line of keyboards is expensive, but if you have space and weight restrictions (for traveling and portability) and you just have to have weighted piano action, this looks like a godsend.

http://www.studiologic.net/

Go Back to forum