• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: A Midi-Mockup-Real Orchestra Performance - A Must See!

Orcas Island

A Midi-Mockup-Real Orchestra Performance - A Must See!

Last year, Kentaro Sato (Ken-P) submitted his composition "Wings of Dreams" which was selected as one of the top winners in the GPO Orchestration Competition.

Ken-P's prize was to have his work performed in concert by the Moravian Philharmonic orchestra and broadcast live, and then to have the work professionally recorded with the orchestra. The performance was a success and was broadcast over the internet and a video and recording was made.
    DPDan decided to take the video and work his magic. Ken-P recently posted the MIDI file on the GPO forum and DPDan has taken the Midi file and synchronized it to the video of the live performance of Ken-P's GPO competition piece. What you see is a real orchestra playing and what you hear is a synchronized MIDI-mock-up using GPO. An amazing job!

You should watch this video for several reasons: 1) it is an incredibly beautiful work Ken-P has composed, 2) the mock-up and synchronization DPDan did is incredible, and 3) to my knowledge, nothing like this has been done before.

Here is a link to the Windows Media video: (It's a 26 MB file and worth seeing).
    Here is a link to the Quicktime Movie: (It's a 52 MB file and worth seeing).
    *NOTE*Please download the quicktime movie totally before you try to play it.Here is a link to the free download of the most recent Quicktime 7 for MAC: http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/mac.html
    Here is the Quicktime 7 download for Windows: http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/win.html

DPDan created a conductor track in DP in order to sync the midi file to the video. Here are some Digital Performer screenshots showing DPDan's digital workspace:

I really like Ken-P's inspiring music and I hope you enjoy it too. Thank you Ken-P for such a beautiful composition and thank you Dan for doing this unique synchronization.

Please take some time to experience what Ken-P and DPDan has done.

Gary Garritan

Re: A Midi-Mockup-Real Orchestra Performance - A Must See!

Sweet, what can I say?

My wife Allison didn't realize this was GPO until I told her her after watching it twice. Dan did such a good job. Amazing!!! Ken's music is so beautiful. And Dan is a wizard.

(bowing humbly) Dan, you DA MAN!!

MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5ghz 4GB Ram OSX 10.5.8
    Korg TritonLe & MAudio Oxygen 8
    T3, Logic 9, DP7, K2, GPO4, Strad, Gofriller, C&MB, Finale 2010

My Website!
    New Film Scores!
    Also, Ever think about having your very own personal documentary? See my new Website!

Great job by all.

BTW, the trumpet player at 3:57 to 4:05 is classic!

Dang, still another .mov!

Just mentioned in another thread my machine upchucks on QT... apparently due to a conflict with a crucial IDE... would love to see some of these flicks!

Any .wmv version?

This awesome! I've always loved this song!
    Garam Heo, Contemporary Christian Artist
    Music produced by Christopher and Craig Reeves

First I want to tell Ken what a really sweet piece this is. It is one of these rare pieces that I can truly say makes my heart sing.

Now as for Dan, well, I always kid him about his ears, but I have to admit that there is a good bit of genius in that head as well as those incredible ears.

There is one more factor that makes this work so great, and that is Digital Performer. What you are listening too when you hear this piece is the incredible control that DP gives you on your production.

Dan will be the first to tell you that, although time consuming to some extent, sinking a midi file to an audio file in DP is almost a piece of cake. If you can hear the subtle tempo changes, which obviously Dan can, it is a breeze to match DP's tempo changes in the Conductor track to even the most complex changes. The tools are transparent. It would have been five times harder to pull this off in any other DAW that I have seen.

Oh well, shell I mention this little gem of a library called GPO?

It is truly an honor to call Dan a dear friend. Yah, and his little dog too.

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Garrett

It is truly an honor to call Dan a dear friend. Yah, and his little dog too.
    Karl, you are so kind

Thank you everyone, I am still trying to find someone to convert this to wmv.

I got to see some of this at NAMM but the noise of the show made it impossible to judge the quality of the work (not that I had any doubt since it came from Dan.) Now that I've been able to hear this in a quiet environment I don't mind admitting that if I had encountered this video without foreknowledge of the substitution I probably would have accepted it as genuine. Masterful mixing and sync.

WOW. This is incredible. Fantastic piece, Ken-P - and great job DPDAN, this is really, really good. I haven't heard this piece before...awesome job! I love GPO.

Thank you Chris.
    I am so happy that you have now been introduced to Ken's writing, it is a very emotional piece for me, I still don't know why, but it is. Thank you for viewing it!

Tom, what can I say? To have a compliment like this from you is such an honor. I am so humbled.

I am not trying to turn this into a mutual admiration society meeting, but if it weren't for your experience and sensative musical abilities, GPO and all of these libraries of Gary's would not be as real as they are. I think Gary knows what he has in you I just wish more people would realize how real little ol' GPO can be.

Thank you again for listening.

I'll say it again, a tremendous thanks goes to Kentaro,
    he really deserves to make it big.

Thank you Tom for all you do!

Go Back to forum