• Register
  • Help

Topic: EWQLS Gold V.S. Kontakt2 VSL Sounds

Share/Bookmark

EWQLS Gold V.S. Kontakt2 VSL Sounds

Hello,
    Can anyone who has heard both offer an opinion as to which sounds better:
    EWQLS Gold or the VSL Orchestra library that ships with Kontakt 2? The one that comes with Kontakt sounds good to me, but I am just a hobbyist and would like to hear from people with better ears and more experience.

Thanks much for your opinions

Re: EWQLS Gold V.S. Kontakt2 VSL Sounds

If I was you I would buy K2 and some SAM brass. This IMO will give you the best sound.

K2's VSL is by no means complete and while you certainly get a healthy number of Instruments and Sam brass is outstanding, I think you would find EWQLSO GOLD to be more than comparable. The VSL stuff has some great legato stuff that uses the k2 script but legato isn't evrything. Frankly,even as a hobbyist all three together is wise and not that expensive in the scheme of things.

Also, consider Miroslav Symphonic and GPO. I have all of these except Sam brass and will probably get that as well. But EWQLSO Gold...wow...I love it and it's all there w/out of the box ambience (generally) and instruments are already placed in their common panning positions. Best of all, let your ears judge- listen to the demos. Thats what sold me on EW. But I do so love the VSL stuff. Sell your dog.

DO NOT SELL YOUR DOG!!!!!!!!

Poor little puppy needs a loving home....keep him, he loves you...

Another consideration is Kontakt 2 and the Kirk Hunter Symphonic Emerald collection. I started out with GPO and I've found the above two libraries to be a significant leap in terms of sample variety and quality. GPO is great - don't get me wrong. But there does come a time when more flexibility is needed, and the above two libraries have - for the time being - cured any lust I had for the less expensive EW libraries. My next stop will likely be one of the giant collections - VSL, Sonic Implants, etc.

But EWQLSO Gold...wow...I love it and it's all there w/out of the box
    It sounds good but you will be stuck whit the reverb for ever, unless you upgrad to platinum whitch is to expensive and needs a few Pc to run properly.

If you like the VSL sound, you should consider VSL Opus 1+2, you get 35 Gb(52 000 samples or more ) of what many consider the best orchestral lib.(VSL pro 250Gb), i think those 35 Gb are the most usefull stuff of the big one. And you can apply as little or as mutch referb as you want. VSL is a safer buy, more professinnal lib., mutch better musicians IMO(highly trained musicians from vienna), the samples are perfectly tune, and they have reel legato, when i buy VSL, it's a investment for life IMO. They also have chamber strings ensemble whitch is a smaller ensemble but sounds really good, couple whit there solo strings( an other 50 000 samples of just solo strings ) the best solo strings lib. IMO. You could do alot whit those two.

Best of all, let your ears judge- listen to the demos. Thats what sold me on EW.
    Becarefull, the demos don't tell you everything, it don't tell that most of EW demos are done whit the 24 bit version whit 3 mic positions, remember gold is a 16 bit and as 1 mic positions, and you,re stuck whit the reverb, i've personnaly quickly got tierd of that hall and now i'm stuck whit it. And the demos wont tell you about the tuning either .

Symbiotic
    Another consideration is Kontakt 2 and the Kirk Hunter Symphonic Emerald collection
    Yea!, he is right about that, $250 and you get something really good whit good solo strings too, it's not VSL or Sonic Implants but for the price it's a gift, you could save alot of money there.

Good luck!

Go Back to forum