• Register
  • Help

Topic: Work for small orchestra

Work for small orchestra

I guess a lot of people want a really big orchestra, but I'm a chamber music guy, and I never know what to do with too many pairs or trios of the same instrument... and who the heck can keep four horn players busy? So here's a "sub-classical" symphony with winds and brass "in ones"...

It's 31 megabytes, timing 22:49.
    1. Andante (5:39)
    2. Adagietto (4:42)
    3. Waltz (2:54)
    4. Mazurka (2:08)
    5. Allegro (7:20)

Don't take it too seriously...

Re: Work for small orchestra

Holly mackerel !!!! Almost 23 minutes long !!!!!
    I am 2:35 into it now and I love the sound that you've achieved. I need to go to bed soon so I may only listen for 10 mins or so. I shall return. And that's a promise not a threat.
    (The Nut )

This is simply outstanding! The composition is incredible. Bravo! I liked the almost medieval sound of the harmonies and your orchestration is superb.
    Kind Regards

Louis Dekker
    My Music Site

Pour être grand, il faut avoir été petit.

Rick, this is excellent work.

Compositionally, very strong. Not so much the style, though there are certainly similarities; but it has the attitude of Aaron Copland, the clarity and openness, the lucid and unexpectedly logical developmental strokes, and an invigorating economy of means.

You may not take this "too seriously", but I do. This is a significant achievement! I hope all in the forum will give the full suite a serious listen -- this is top-flight work.

Unreservedly and with admiration:

Post Scriptum:
    I like the lighter orchestral configuration in this a great deal. It suits the writing perfectly.

Houston, TX

i already know i'm gonna like this so i'm gonna download it into my favorites folder and give an attentive listen as soon as i can

Only had a chance to listen to the 1st movt, so far. But I absolutely love it !!!!
    Like you I am more of a chamber guy, and it is thrilling to hear your clear and transparent textures. Superb composition, a beguiling blend of expected and unexpected.
    Will return to this thread when I have heard all.

edit..... Ok I have heard the entire piece now.
    Wow , that is a great achievement.
    Although I enjoyed all the movements,I liked the waltz the best.It has real grace.
    For me this suite could work equally well without the mazurka.It is a good movement, but emotionally, it seems to cover some of the same ground as the Waltz. And if you went directly from the waltz to the Finale, it would lend greater formal weight to the waltz.
    Vey well done. It is nice to hear some chamber textures, and you have explored them in a really interesting way.

regards Joe

Very addicting music, this is! I'm on my second listen. You've achieved a great sound, and no need for something like four horns here Great work, I enjoyed this!
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Wow, some excellent work here. Very well done, nice textures! I too favor the Waltz. A good accomplishment indeed. I hope to hear more from you!

♪♪♪♪ CâTå ♪♪♪♪

Thanks to all who listened, I appreciate it... and the feedback, too!

Go Back to forum